FYI-Pacific Time-Nightline(ABC)> story on SODIUM!!

Options
weaklink109
weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
Just an FYI to those on West Coast of US. Nightline is having a story tonight about sodium in food.

Replies

• noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I saw that last night and although this is not new news -- I hope the word starts getting out and companies are forced to lower sodium in their foods!

I have had high blood pressure long before my weight was an issue and for about 20 years now. I've been on meds that entire time. Even though heredity plans a big role in my family and high blood pressure, I truly believe the sodium is a big participating culprit as well. I am and have always been a huge salter. Since joining MFP a month ago now, I do watch sodium and it is hard to stay in range -- even healthy stuff has sodium!!

However, since being on here a month now and watching what I eat and my sodium intake, I have been randomly checking my b/p and it has been extraordinarly low -- 100/60 low! I can't remember the last time it has EVER been this low. And this is checking random times throughout the day. Prior to MFP, and taking a very strong b/p pill WITH a diuretic in it, it was running 140/90 range. So I have seen a huge decrease in my b/p and I just really feel strongly it is because I have cut my sodium down so dramatically.

If I'm eating 2,500 mg now, I had to have been eating well over 5,000 mg daily before with fast food and processed foods!!! And even at 2,500 mg now, I still need to cut back more. That is one of my goals this upcoming week -- eat cleaner foods and trying to find ways to cut my sodium intake even more.

I hope people start realizing how much sodium we unknowingly eat in processed foods and start demanding a change in policy.

Did you see some of those restraunt sodium contents -- over 3,500 from some Olive Garden dishes!!!! Incredible!!
  • weaklink109
    Options
    If your BP is that low and you are on meds, you need to contact your doctor. It sounds to me like you could be ready for a reduction in your meds. I was on BP meds for about 8 years. When I lost 50 lbs., even though I was at a weight where I had needed meds prevously, my doctor took me off of them. My low sodium lifestyle, combined with an increase in exercise resulted in my no longer needing meds, and my readings were higher than the ones you described. Good luck.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm going to watch it for a bit longer and see how it goes. I've only been at this going on 4 weeks now. If it continues to remain good/low, I'll go see about getting a lower dosage or something. I may even just 1/2 my pill and see how that works until then. I haven't been getting dizzy or anything and am really feeling better than I have in a really long time. I am kind of skeptical that 11 pound loss can have that much of an impact as I go up and down 10, 15 pounds all the time. But I do think that the sodium is playing a key role somehow.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Cutting pills in half is not always a prudent practice--depending upon the med. Before you start doing that, please check with your pharmicist.