Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do you always keep bananas on hand?

2»

Replies

• sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    I adore bananas as the basis for the smoothie I have for breakfast every day.

I wait for them to ripen, then I peel them and split them into quarters to facilitate calorie counting (sometimes my smoothie is 1/2 a banana and 1/2 a cup of frozen berries, sometimes it's just one full banana for fruit). I freeze them in a large freezer Ziploc and try to squeeze all the air out first.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    We use 2 a day, buy twice a week from different stores.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    We buy some once a week. They get ripe. People eat them but usually leave a couple to get super ripe. I make banana bread.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    When the bananas go over-ripe hubby peels them and puts them in a freezer bag. They all go in to his smoothies.

In our household if we run out of bananas, we are out of "food".
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    I put them in the fridge. For some reason, when I put them in the fridge, the outside will get suuuuper black and nasty looking, but when I peel it, the banana is nice and yellow, with the exception of maybe a few spots here and there
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Otherwise they cause each other to ripen.

Yeah, "fruit signalling" is pretty freaky. WHAT ELSE ARE THEY SAYING?!

Anyways, when having a bunch: I keep 'em out on the counter until they're optimum and then uneaten ones go in the fridge which slows 'em down.

Ideally though, I just buy them one at a time from a convenience store, and eat immediately.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    How do I always keep bananas on hand? Hide them from my husband, especially if he's in 'protein smoothie' mode.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Don't know. I have like ten going bad at home right now because I couldn't resist the "lightly bruised" deal. I like bananas a lot, but then I'll sometimes go a week or more just ignoring them. And I don't do smoothies or breads, pancakes or waffles that require use of bananas other than just straight eating, so there ya go.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Don't know. I have like ten going bad at home right now because I couldn't resist the "lightly bruised" deal. I like bananas a lot, but then I'll sometimes go a week or more just ignoring them. And I don't do smoothies or breads, pancakes or waffles that require use of bananas other than just straight eating, so there ya go.

Well then, peel, stick them with a stick, freeze them, then dip in chocolate.

Where there's a will there's a way, :-)
  • I buy the snack size zip lock baggies and slice up a banana and put a half of it in a baggie and freeze them. When I want a sweet creamy treat, I'll grab a bag and eat them frozen... so good.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Well then, peel, stick them with a stick, freeze them, then dip in chocolate.

Where there's a will there's a way, :-)

Hahahah chocolate dipped bananas. I could totally get with that!