Core exercises for sore back

Options
Just getting over a slipped disc that started on New Year's Day, good way to bring in 2016 ! Symptoms are starting to fade and I've been attending physio supervised gym once a week and the emphasis seems to be on building a strong core to support the back, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help this along with core building that doesn't put any risk on damaging my lower back. My fitness level at the moment is pretty rubbish as I've had hip bursitis last year as well but I was hoping to get some strength back as I'm given to believe that it would be the best way to prevent a relapse.
Any tips would be great x

Replies

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    why don't you ask your physio? i wouldn't take forum advice on something that serious...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I literally just typed something out to someone else so i hope you don't mind if i copy and past below- :)

People who experience lower back pain generally have a very weak core. It's also very likely that you have lower cross syndrome (anterior pelvic tilt) which makes you much more susceptible to injury. (SPEAK TO YOUR PT ABOUT THIS!) If i were in your situation this is what i would focus on...

The "core" musculature is actually comprised of more than your abdominals, which many people find suprising. But activating and strengthening the muscles of your core as well as fixing any postural and muscular imbalances you might have is going to be essential in assuring you can lift weights with proper form AND without injury.

Your local stabilization system and core musculature is comprised of the transverse abdominals, internal obliques, pelvic floor, multifidus, and diaphram. These muscles are comprised of mostly type 1 (slow twitch) muscles which don't produce a lot of power, but instead can withstand activity for a very long time. These muscles keep your spine in the proper alignment and protect you from injury. If these muscles are weak and your core is unstable, this will affect the entire kinetic chain and any subsequent movement you perform.

To strengthen these muscles of the core i suggest exercises which activate these muscles in all three planes of motion. The exercises i will suggest are all "hold" type exercises which do not require movement through a range of motion but instead should fatigue and strengthen these slow twitch muscles. My suggestions? Prone Iso Abs (also called planks), Supermans (also called prone cobra), side planks, and cable rotation holds.

In addition to these movements, i suggest you practice bracing and drawing in maneuver before you perform each and every exercise. This is critical!

otherwise, i suggest you speak to your PT about what stretching, myofascial release, or additional movements they suggest for you specifically. I would really be running anything i could past them since they are there as a resource, use them!
  • loz2304
    loz2304 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have been getting advice from physio and running everything past them but I was hoping for experience from anyone that has suffered from a bad back as sometimes it can give an extra dimension to the 'book learned' advice that has been given already.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I "listen to my back". If I get a twinge after a workout I reduce reps the next time. I believe that strengthening my core has really helped with pain and with "tweaking".

I do superman exercises, planks, and am doing straight leg dead lifts now. I work a lot on my glutes and hamstrings also. Well, I work on everything, as our bodies are all one, so to speak. No matter what I'm doing, I focus on keeping a strong core. Just get back into your workouts and don't overdo the back ones.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I literally just typed something out to someone else so i hope you don't mind if i copy and past below- :)

People who experience lower back pain generally have a very weak core. It's also very likely that you have lower cross syndrome (anterior pelvic tilt) which makes you much more susceptible to injury. (SPEAK TO YOUR PT ABOUT THIS!) If i were in your situation this is what i would focus on...

The "core" musculature is actually comprised of more than your abdominals, which many people find suprising. But activating and strengthening the muscles of your core as well as fixing any postural and muscular imbalances you might have is going to be essential in assuring you can lift weights with proper form AND without injury.

Your local stabilization system and core musculature is comprised of the transverse abdominals, internal obliques, pelvic floor, multifidus, and diaphram. These muscles are comprised of mostly type 1 (slow twitch) muscles which don't produce a lot of power, but instead can withstand activity for a very long time. These muscles keep your spine in the proper alignment and protect you from injury. If these muscles are weak and your core is unstable, this will affect the entire kinetic chain and any subsequent movement you perform.

To strengthen these muscles of the core i suggest exercises which activate these muscles in all three planes of motion. The exercises i will suggest are all "hold" type exercises which do not require movement through a range of motion but instead should fatigue and strengthen these slow twitch muscles. My suggestions? Prone Iso Abs (also called planks), Supermans (also called prone cobra), side planks, and cable rotation holds.

In addition to these movements, i suggest you practice bracing and drawing in maneuver before you perform each and every exercise. This is critical!

otherwise, i suggest you speak to your PT about what stretching, myofascial release, or additional movements they suggest for you specifically. I would really be running anything i could past them since they are there as a resource, use them!

These exercises would be useful for me thanks.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Pilates. Not mat Pilates, the real thing. Preferably 1:1 or 2:1 with a good instructor (not at a gym). Make sure you know your Pilates insteuctor knows you have back issues.