Tasting metal?

Options
aquarabbit
aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
I drink enough water, am not pregnant, and the only meds I take are B.C. pills. My doc said it's just the red blood cells that accumulate in my lungs being carried to my mouth by snot when I do a strenuous exercise that my heart can't keep up with and that it's nothing to worry about. But it's still gross. I'm doing Body Revolution right now and get the taste when I do the cardio (I REALLY push myself). I'm going to do Insanity after this, so I imagine this might happen every now and again if I push really hard. Anyone have any tips on getting rid or maskin it? It reminds me of getting i.v. fluids and I get really jittery and nervous if I think about that.

Replies

• aquarabbit
    Options
    bump?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Gum?
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    Gum?

I actually did try that. I was breathing really hard and inhaled it. Now I'm nervous about it.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Hmmm pongos?
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    ?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have always been deficient in something when I've had metal mouth. That's just me. Oh, and taking some meds, like antidepressants (SSRI) does it to me, too.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't push yourself that hard :wink: Do you use a Heart Rate Monitor?

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm
  • aquarabbit
    Options

I guess these were the two things I was hoping wouldn't be an answer. Heart Monitors are expensive (for me) and I love to really push myself. But maybe looking more seriously at both those things might be for the best if I'm going to be doing these types of workouts.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I guess these were the two things I was hoping wouldn't be an answer. Heart Monitors are expensive (for me) and I love to really push myself. But maybe looking more seriously at both those things might be for the best if I'm going to be doing these types of workouts.

You can pick up a basic HRM on ebay for less than $20. As for pushing yourself, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that different heart rate zones accomplish different objective fitness wise.
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    If you're taking birth control pills, it could be possible that your copper levels are raised. I was taking the birth control pills for many years, and they had this effect, and copper toxicity is a bad thing. And of course, it got so worse when I tried the copper IUD (silly me), that I had to remove it immediately, so it doesn't kill me.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    that metal taste is often a sign of a mineral deficiency OR a sinusitis problem

ask your doctor to check these out (and anything else).

often doctors don't even give this stuff any thought. you have to raise it yourself.

you have to live with it ... demand to check it out

:)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    Google ketosis. This is a metallic taste I get when very hungry while doing intermittent fasting. It means your body is metabolizing fat instead of glucose.
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    If you're taking birth control pills, it could be possible that your copper levels are raised. I was taking the birth control pills for many years, and they had this effect, and copper toxicity is a bad thing. And of course, it got so worse when I tried the copper IUD (silly me), that I had to remove it immediately, so it doesn't kill me.

I might have to go to the doc and force him to check me out. I just started a new pill 4 months ago. I've had to test a lot because the dosages are always so high for me.

I googled ketosis too. I sure do hope it's that instead of a deficiency or copper poisoning! Burn that fat up!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Do your ears ring? High levels of metal usually cause tinnitus, too. Might be another way to nail down what's going on.
  • aquarabbit
    Options

Do your ears ring? High levels of metal usually cause tinnitus, too. Might be another way to nail down what's going on.

No ears ringing. The only time that happens is when my husband tells me he's out of clean underwear. I also get a piercing sharp pain through my temple. The doctor diagnosed it as marriage. But I really hope that it's not anything to do with my B.C. because I really like this one. It doesn't make me nauseous or decrease my "drive". I've also lost weight pretty easily compared to other pills.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe go see a medical professional for tips and such? Or maybe they can refer you to someone who might have a better idea of treatment options?