What are some fun and "easy" hobbies to start?

Options
2»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Board games. Pretty easy if you like them. Find groups on meetup.

I like the idea of needle crafts, but I'm too distractible...always lose count somewhere and then you have to rip it all out and start back before the error.

Container gardens are fun, plants can be at the level of your choice and weeding isn't too much of a thing.

I'm eyeing up the local rowing club.

And, if (when?) I were fit with good insurance...roller derby! :)
    Ima look into roller derby clubs lol I've never thought of that! It seems fun... Thanks!

Do it! I really wish that I had been involved in this when I was younger. Now I am old and too breakable. :(

I'm not sure that interesting and easy really go together, but you could certainly try a lot of stuff and to see what works for you. Taking a class is a good place to start. Look at community colleges, community centers and even craft stores.

Other ideas:

knitting (easier than crochet for some people)
    gardening (container, community garden, etc.)
    hiking
    kayaking
    social dance (salsa, ballroom, etc.)
    glass art--cold (stained glass) warm (lampworking, fusing) or hot (blowing)
    tai chi or martial art
    woodworking
    sculpture/welding
    geocaching
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I am a hobby collector! I do the following (I'm not very good at most of them, but I love to do them):

crocheting

knitting

painting (oil portraits seem to be my forte)

scrapbooking +greeting card making

colouring - nice pencil crayons are my favourite to use, but I also use crayons

I'm in the middle of making a "rag rug" with old blue jeans - it's going to be awesome if I ever have time to finish it

Gardening - flowers and vegetables

Canning my own vegetables (tomatoes, jams, pickles)

Cooking (the kind where you have to buy strange ingredients and use every pot and pan and bowl you have just to
    try something new)

Horsebackriding

Chicken keeping (for eggs)

Dog training (trying to get into agility with the new pup but again this pesky full-time job gets in the way)

Snowshoeing

Hiking

Wild plant & bird identification (trying to get more into this in 2016)

To do:
    Maple syrup making
    Beekeeping
    Chicken keeping (for meat)
    Get some goats for goat milk/cheese/meat

• owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Board games. Pretty easy if you like them. Find groups on meetup.

I like the idea of needle crafts, but I'm too distractible...always lose count somewhere and then you have to rip it all out and start back before the error.

Container gardens are fun, plants can be at the level of your choice and weeding isn't too much of a thing.

I'm eyeing up the local rowing club.

And, if (when?) I were fit with good insurance...roller derby! :)
    Ima look into roller derby clubs lol I've never thought of that! It seems fun... Thanks!

ROLLER DERBY do it!!! it's awesome, you don't even need to know how to skate (most clubs will take in non-skaters and teach you from scratch).
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Biking
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I need to become more occupied and also want be more interesting!

You said you want to be more interesting. I'm thinking skydiving, hiking, travel, skiing or snowboarding, volunteer work. There are clubs or you can just go with friends.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing! So fun and it makes you feel great about yourself. I've made a lot of awesome friends from the belly dance classes I've gone to.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Cooking, knitting, crocheting, sewing, jewelry-making, coloring, running, drawing, photography, painting, foster an animal through local shelter/rescue... Just some of my favorite hobbies!
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pottery at a local studio for about a year. It's a lot of fun, but not always the easiest of hobbies.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    OP, check out your local town's community services offered. They have tons of stuff there offered. Usually pretty cheap too and not a long-term commitment.
  • Francine_rivas
    Francine_rivas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ghouli wrote: »
    Belly dancing! So fun and it makes you feel great about yourself. I've made a lot of awesome friends from the belly dance classes I've gone to.
    I used to belly dance! I was in the 2014 dance parade that happens every year in New York! I stopped because I felt very objectified. My ex partner wanted to bring into the bedroom and that made me so uncomfortable so I just stopped. :/