Lost 2 stone / 28 lbs - but no difference

Options
2»

Replies

• MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Are you taking photos? Sometimes we can't see it until comparing photos.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, started at 295lbs. I honestly didn't see a difference in the mirror for about 60lbs bc I look at myself every day and it was like trying to watch my hair grow..

The best advice I got early on was to take unflattering/brutally honest progress pictures every week in the same clothes (or lack of). That way I could put them side by side and notice changes. Also, the tape measure is your friend! I keep a list of monthly measurements and nearly lost my mind when I realized that my waist now is a few inches smaller than one thigh was when I started! Keep at it, you can totally do this!
  • natalialikescookies
    natalialikescookies Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

No disrespect, but I don't think it's especially helpful to say it could take 2-3 years because a) although I don't know your goal weight I don't think it will and b) it's not a very positive comment when someone is already feeling daunted!

Realistic expectations are imperative when losing weight. The OP has nearly 100 lbs to lose to get to the top of the healthy weight range at 5'6". 2-3 years is realistic for that kind of loss at that height. Thinking you're going to get to goal weight in half that time and then not making it is far less helpful and more discouraging than is having reasonable goals and expectations.

Bottom line, you encourage in your way and I'll encourage in mine. The OP is an adult and able to decide what does or doesn't help him/her.

Losing 1/1.5 to 2 lbs a week will not take 3 years.

I don't understand why some people on this forum are so aggressive! Chill out!

Do you think that the majority of people lose 1.5-2 lbs a week all the way to their goals?

This.
    Losing 2lbs+/week is working for op now but won't be forever. Weight loss isn't linear and at that rate wouldn't be sustainable.

It'll taper down to 1lb/week and might even drop to 1/4-1/2lb/week for the last 10ish pounds. Realistic expectations are important.

Yes, there are people who lose 100lbs in a year but for the majority of the people that's not the case.
    The average weight loss for people is right around 1lb/week.

28lbs in 8 weeks is fabulous! Just like everyone has said, especially the more you have to lose the more it takes to see a visible difference. Don't be discouraged! The pounds add up! Just keep at it and you'll see a difference.
    Measuring yourself and taking progress pictures definitely help too :)

Good luck!

Edited for typos
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wow thank you all for you amazing advice really appreciate it!!! :-)

I'll try to answer all the questions in one post so here we go..

- My jeans have started to get looser which feels odd as my jeans have always been really fitted lol

- I haven't taken very good 'before pictures' as I've always (and still do) hated taking pictures

- I haven't had any meal replacements or surgery lol I exercise and eat less and try to drink 2 litres of water. I think I lost it fast becoz it was a major shock to my body becoz I never excercised before and I would ALWAYS eat junk/ sugary food !!

But seriously thank you so much everyone all the responses really helped !!!
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss so fast. I started in September and just hit 23 pounds down.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    At 5' 6" and 148 no one saw 25 lbs.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Started with the exact same stats as you, no one said anything, then when I hit around 3st loss people started making comments. Keep it up, you've done incredibly well to lose what you have and i'm sure you will continue to do so.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and started 7 weeks ago at 272.4 I've lost 23 lb. My 60-year old Vietnamese colleague told me yesterday that she could see the difference in my face. My church friends told me that they noticed a difference this week also. Whether they do or do not isn't meaningful to me. I've lost 23 and my goal is to lose 89 more.
  • HeathsHere
    HeathsHere Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Don't give up!! It took me double the time it took you to lose 2 stone! You are doing soooo Awesome! I'm amazed that you lost that much so quickly! Keep at it! Trust me it gets easier and you'll feel so much better too! Dedication goes a long way. And wow you sure kick started it! Maybe make it fun and if you know anyone else who is trying to lose make a fun competition out of it. My sister and friends and family count their steps with their tracker and compete to see who can get the most in. At work we did a 40 day challenge to see who could lose the most. Fun competition is great motivation!! :-) Best wishes to you!! <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    Just a note that this thread is from March 2016 and the person who started the thread has not been back since April 2016.