How I lost 140 lbs in six months with help from MFP

Options

Replies

• theprez98
    theprez98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    babylovers wrote: »
    I have a question for you hopefully you are still answering questions. Did you count carbs at all? Right now I'm eating few carbs but its extremely hard cuz everything has carbs and idk if it even works? What kinda food did u eat healthy food or just eat whatever food you wanted? And did u eat breakfast everyday before working out? Thanks for answers!

I mostly concentrated on smaller portion sizes and did not focus particularly on any specific macro numbers. I also tried to start eating a little more healthy choices, although I still ate pizza about every week or two (fewer slices, thin crust, etc.).
  • theprez98
    theprez98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    WOW! Good for you! What a awesome alternative to bariatric surgery. You have a much better chance at long term, life long success. Great story, well told.

Now the personal questions. There is a theory out there that we get fat and stay fat for some psychological reason like fear of success or protection from harmful people. Women may get fat to be unattractive if they fear a repeat of some sexual trauma. Men want to be "big men" even if they can't be leaders or financially successful. Did you search for or find some psychological reason for getting so big and if so, what changed to make it acceptable to lose the weight that you had accumulated?

I dread social interactions and think I use my weight to keep people at a distance both physically and emotionally. I wonder if I don't develop better social skills will I put the weight back on to protect myself?

I think, in some ways, people who are your friends will actually enable you to continue being large. They'll tell you, "oh, you don't like too big" or "you're just big boned" or whatever sounds good. They're being nice, instead of being honest, and in some ways you can feed off this and not worry about your weight even when it becomes a serious issue.
  • launchpadmkquak
    launchpadmkquak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Nice work!!!
  • babylovers
    babylovers Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Theprez98- Thanks for the response. The day I read this post I started walking/jogging to try to burn more calories cuz I don't like the pace if my weight loss its way slow. I weigh 312 pounds and my goal is to walk/jog 2 hours to start with and build from there. In the 5 days I have done about 2 hours sometimes 3 and I reached 5 miles yesterday I feel really good about it my feet are in pain from starting but that's normal. What us upsetting tho is the scale still hasn't went down . Now I know its all about food and I've lost 80 pounds on mfp before. I only eat about 1400 calories a day I don't understand why I'm not losing or maybe its weight from new exercise but its been 6 days u would think it would be gone and weight would be down I just don't get it. I recently started low carb about 3 weeks ago and it seems I stopped losing weight since then maybe little since then . So my question is why do u think since I started this 6 days ago and eating 1400 calories why would weight not budge it actually went up and just came back to normal weight today did u experience this ? Thanks again.
  • bnovak226
    bnovak226 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! U look like a very happy new person!
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You've done phenomenally! It took work and discipline, and a good dose of consistency, but the results are outstanding. I'm very impressed. :smile:

Is it safe to assume that you are not going to do the surgery now, but instead will continue in the path that you've taken?

Thank you for the inspiration!
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Truly awesome loss! - can I ask a couple of questions?

Does your FitBit give an accurate count of calories lost? - I have a cheap Garmin step counter and it only reckons I use 160'ish calories for 10,000 steps. It does not have a heart rate function so I guess the figure is pretty inaccurate.

The second question is how many pairs of shoes did you go through doing all this walking? Since I started doing 10k steps a day training shoes only last me four months whereas in the past they would be ok for 18 months.

Anyway well done :)
  • debradugas9
    debradugas9 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You look fantastic!!
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Just wow. First, good job on all your hard work -- you were clearly very dedicated. Second, I LOVE your simplified ABCD! Thanks for a great post!
  • lovetolose20
    lovetolose20 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is the most encouraging post I've read. Thank you for taking the time to share this with all of us. I love your approach, exercise and eating less. So simple. Kind of ;) Glad to hear you ate pizza and didn't feel like you needed to count macros or do any other special stuff. You've inspired me to go walking today and tomorrow and from now on! Thanks!!
  • funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such an inspiring and timely post. I walked 3.5 hrs on my (homemade/rigged) treadmill desk recently and was surprised to see I had burned over 1,000 calories.

As someone who is used to doing more intense cardio, I was wondering if these calories would be as effective for weight loss. Silly question, I know, but I'm so happy for the confirmation that this is an easy way to burn calories. As long as I keep my food consumption in order, I anticipate great results.

Now I can work and lose weight at the same time - who knew! :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    babylovers wrote: »
    Theprez98- Thanks for the response. The day I read this post I started walking/jogging to try to burn more calories cuz I don't like the pace if my weight loss its way slow. I weigh 312 pounds and my goal is to walk/jog 2 hours to start with and build from there. In the 5 days I have done about 2 hours sometimes 3 and I reached 5 miles yesterday I feel really good about it my feet are in pain from starting but that's normal. What us upsetting tho is the scale still hasn't went down . Now I know its all about food and I've lost 80 pounds on mfp before. I only eat about 1400 calories a day I don't understand why I'm not losing or maybe its weight from new exercise but its been 6 days u would think it would be gone and weight would be down I just don't get it. I recently started low carb about 3 weeks ago and it seems I stopped losing weight since then maybe little since then . So my question is why do u think since I started this 6 days ago and eating 1400 calories why would weight not budge it actually went up and just came back to normal weight today did u experience this ? Thanks again.

@babylovers

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation and great dedication and hardwork!!
  • karlasmorgan
    karlasmorgan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • silvestrea
    silvestrea Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You look great!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    you are amazing!!
  • rin_rae
    rin_rae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!
  • VTorres26
    VTorres26 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the success!
  • fredley
    fredley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is one awesome transformation. Thanks for sharing and encouraging us.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!