weight gain after medical problems or surgery?

Options
dhawk2196
dhawk2196 Posts: 14 Member
I have had three surgeries on my feet within one year. I've been on crutches or a knee scooter since Dec 2014. I've since gained 15-20 pounds since then and still am not mobile without crutches or the scooter! I'm so frustrated and depressed. my clothes are tight and it's hard to do anything!!! kinda venting here but would love some advice on how to cut my calories and not be hungry! I'm doing 1350 calories a day. sometimes go over because I feel hungry....suggestions?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Tighten up your logging making sure you weigh all solids and measure all liquids. Try yo find more satiating foods so you don't go over your goal.

I always find a salad, dressing on the side, before or with a meal can help fill me with very few calories.

Check youtube for seated exercises and floor workouts just so you get a little higher calorie burn in the day.

Sorry to hear you have been off your feet for so long.

Cheers, h.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Can you swim? Are you seeing a PT? Ask them for an upper body workout routine.

I'm on 1390 a day. I feel your pain on the food part. I eat a fairly large breakfast a couple hours after I get up (600-700 cals) then a big dinner 5-6 hours later. Sometimes I have room for a smallish meal in between (like 200-300 cals) sometimes not, depending on my meal plan for the day.

Lots of vegetables, fat, protein. Usually I try to stick with no more than one serving of grains for me, and one fruit. I am often hungry for a couple hours a day. That's just how it goes. Some days I go over and not worry about it, but by tracking diligently for years I know my limits and the patterns I need to maintain if I want to keep my weight down.

Injuries are awful. I hope you start finding ways to bleed off some of your energy. It helps mentally, and will allow you a bit more food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I just want to I'm sorry! That must suck. Good advice above^^
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I second the protein, fat, and veggies!
  • dhawk2196
    dhawk2196 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great ideas ! Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!