Too much water?

Options
So I have one of those big obnoxious water bottles from Pink. Its 48 ounces and now it basically goes wherever I go. I find myself refilling it up to 5 times a day. Is it okay to be drinking this much?

Replies

• mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nope....Too much water,too soon is BAD...
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight among other things. It's recommended that people drink between a half ounce and one ounce per pound of body weight. See Web MD: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-for-weight-loss-diet?page=2
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Nah you're probably fine drinking that much water. I basically drink that much too. Most documented cases of water intoxication are from people who drink like a gallon in a few minutes or people who have become extremely dehydrated (like a marathoner) who then drinks a lot of water immediately.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    An adult can drink (with healthy kidneys) and excrete about 4g of water a day as long as its spread out adequately.

It's less quantity most of the time and more rapidity of consumption.

Figure it this way, 1 Gallon of water is 128oz., you're drinking about 240oz of water a day (5*48) which is a smidgen under 2 gallons of water a day.

If you drink all of that at once or a gallon immediately after running to dehydration... you're going to have issues. If you're spreading that out over the course of the day, baring kidney issues, you won't have any problems.

If you are still concerned, consider adding foods high in electrolytes to your diet where you can. That should prevent the problem from ever occurring.

You lose sodium in the largest quantities and it's fairly easy to replace with sodium chloride (table salt), eat something salty before your work out or right after, soups are good. Something salty also tends to replace the chloride you lose as well.

For potassium and magnesium, eat a banana. Seriously, it's magical in its ability to cure muscle cramps too. Green veggies are also high in both and aren't a bad option.

That leaves calcium, which... well, milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. Easy one to fill in.

Small spinach salad with 4oz of chicken breast (2c of spinach 20 cals, 4oz boneless/skinless chicken 110 cals), a banana (110 calories), and some chocolate milk with a bit of protein powder mixed in (1c 1% milk 105 cals, scoop of chocolate protein powder 110 cals)... makes a pretty good meal for replenishing your electrolytes after a work out or for lunch. (total cals 355 and pretty fair for you nutritionally speaking.) Or drink a sports drink at some time during the day.

Don't stress it to much especially if your consumption is spread out :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I drink over 3 litres of water a day....................!!!

I also pee pee all day too!!!!!!!!!
  • gem5639
    gem5639 Posts: 90
    Options
    3L per day is the recommended to prevent water retention, but this should be spread out across the day...
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I drink like 1.5 gallons a day and have been for almost a year and haven't had any problems I would say you're fine as long as you aren't chugging it all at once.
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i did know a lady that drank about a gallon of water a day, but did no exercise. she ended up in the hospital and they told her she WAS drinking too much water. but that's rare. my son is an ER nurse and health nut. he says just don't drink too much at once. don't swig 8 oz at a time.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    i did know a lady that drank about a gallon of water a day, but did no exercise. she ended up in the hospital and they told her she WAS drinking too much water. but that's rare. my son is an ER nurse and health nut. he says just don't drink too much at once. don't swig 8 oz at a time.

I know for certain the bolded part is inaccurate, as I routinely "swig" a 20oz bottle of water in under 30 seconds and have never had an ill effect from it. You can swig substantially more than 8oz, or even 20oz at one time before there's an issue.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I know for certain the bolded part is inaccurate, as I routinely "swig" a 20oz bottle of water in under 30 seconds and have never had an ill effect from it. You can swig substantially more than 8oz, or even 20oz at one time before there's an issue.

right....
    a Deer Park or Nestea bottled water is 16 or 16.9 ounces each.... I can swig that in 5 seconds flat..
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ok - swig away - i guess what i meant to say was - water works best doing what it is supposed to in your body when you DON"T swig it. sure, there are times when swigging is necessary because of our thirst. but when you drink it fast, your body just flushes it right back out and it doesn't have time to trickle down to all the cells and such. drinking water for its optimal effect on your body is better if you drink it slowly and consistently throughout the day. even as much as a gallon or more.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that you should shoot for half of your body weight in ounces of water intake. Hence, 200 pounds, 100 ounces of water. Hydrate more when sweating heavily or high sodium intake.