Sickening.

Options
shadus
shadus Posts: 424 Member
So short back history... I've yoyo'd from 180<->340+ several times. Takes me about a year and a half to lose that gap usually and about 2-3 to put it back on typically speaking. Trying to do it this time with more accountability on my calories intake through mfp and adding back the exercise like I did last time I was a non-whale because it really helped me a lot mentally in keeping with it longer than most of the previous attempts.

Last time I was down in the "realm of the reasonable" (eg: fat but not obese) I was lifting about 10 sets of 10 reps of 250 lbs bench (was all the weight i had).

Went out today and tried my first real non-dumbbell work out with a bar and... I couldn't even bench 5 sets of 10 at 110lbs...

Makes me kinda sick to my stomach to be honest... I knew I'd gotten fat and out of shape again, but ffs really that bad? I can't even lift 1/3rd of my starting weight a reasonable number of times?

Final tally on the bench: 4x10, 2x5, 2x3, 1x2, 1x1 @ 110 lbs (to failure).

Honestly, I'm not even looking for motivation or support, I'm making myself write it publicly so I remember what I did, how damn stupid it was to gain 150 lbs again and to get this out of shape again. Makes me wanna puke.

I will get stronger again, I will bench press double my weight, I will run a marathon, and I will keep the weight off permanently this time. I am done with this bull****. Gets harder every time.

Replies

• jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good positive attitude though, and I think that's most important! I notice that I lose fitness after only days of not working out. It's definitely motivating to keep on a normal work out regimen, because I hate when I can't do as many reps as the time before.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good positive attitude though, and I think that's most important! I notice that I lose fitness after only days of not working out. It's definitely motivating to keep on a normal work out regimen, because I hate when I can't do as many reps as the time before.

You know, I knew I'd lose a lot of the strength. I figured 50%.. but hell, it was a lot worse than that. Makes me angry that I didn't at least even passingly keep with things to keep from losing so much that I worked hard for. Stupidity on my part and it's a mistake I don't intend to make again.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Kay.

Hey, maybe find a lifting buddy and you won't have to go at it alone this time? It's a lot more fun when there's other people as enthusiastic about it as you are. A lone weight loss journey tends to lead to a lone put-the-weight-back-on journey ... we're social creatures, after all.

I do lift on my own in my garage, but I'm part of a MFP group here where we chat about our lifting shenanigans and support each other in our efforts. It helps. A lot.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I get it.

For me it was cycling. I was kicking some serious rear before I got pregnant with my third child. Had some awesome endurance, was biking all over creation and now.... Well lets just say I'm starting again. So far five mile rides has been my limit. I have a long way to go but I won't ever get there if I'm not working at it.

So I'm doing what I can and slowly increasing my distance and time on my bike.