Is this an okay cardio workout?

Options
Samrny
Samrny Posts: 62 Member
Treadmill set to:
  • 15 (max) on elevation
  • 3 (very brisk walking pace)
  • Until I hit 300 calories (about 25 minutes)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you're hanging onto the treadmill while doing this it's not going to be as effective. Incline is great for the legs, but if you have to hold on it's better to lower the elevation to a comfortable level. Even just a brisk walk without incline is a good workout. I like to change incline and speed through the workout to keep from getting bored.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    OK relative to what? If your heart rate is over about 50% or your max during the workout, you're getting health benefits. You're fooling yourself if you think you're burning over 10 calories a minute on that workout, 'tho.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is a good cardio workout, IMO, if you are not holding on, except I would try to go longer than 25 minutes. I would go for 40-45 minutes minimum, an hour if you can. You won't burn tons and tons of calories (I think 10 calories a minute is high, I would estimate 7or 8 a minute) but you will benefit your cardiovascular system. You should consider alternating with other types of cardio if you want to burn more calories.
  • RicardoMelenciano
    RicardoMelenciano Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not bad. I do 30 min on the bike, 30 min on the treadmill (low speed 3.0) and 30 min on the elliptical
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You burn 300 calories in 25 minutes? What are your stats?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Seems an overestimated burn for half an hour unless you're very large.

If you're holding on at that incline, you not only negate the impact of the incline, you also substantially reduce the calories burned.
  • healthyhabits98
    healthyhabits98 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Depending on your current ability and the effects you want to see this may or may not be great.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on the speed, actual ramp angle, and really more than anything your heart rate. If you are getting your heart rate up, you are getting the job done and working towards improving.

As for the people that question the calorie burn, do the math. 300 calories in 25 minutes is far from any elite fitness level at that weight. She's 10 pounds lighter than me, and I warm up doing that calorie burn or higher in prep for 1 hour plus workouts at higher levels than the warm up.