How are my macros? New and need help

Options
Just trying to get my life turned around.

Male.
29 years old.
5 foot 11 inch.
426 pounds.

Been working with a personal trainer 3 times per week. Not much cardio, mostly weight training.

I'm mainly worried about my diet. How are the following macros?

2,500 calories... 240 protein, 185 Carbs, 65 fat

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The protein is very high and could be brought down. Although you are likely carrying more lean mass than many other males your age and height, it's often in the form of connective tissues. Bringing the protein down will give you better flexibility with the calories and other macros.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The protein is very high and could be brought down. Although you are likely carrying more lean mass than many other males your age and height, it's often in the form of connective tissues. Bringing the protein down will give you better flexibility with the calories and other macros.

Thank you.

I'm surprised. I thought the initial response would be my carbs are too high. Shows you what (little) I know!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Thank you.

I'm surprised. I thought the initial response would be my carbs are too high. Shows you what (little) I know!

I could see how many would suggest lowering carbs. Many people carrying extra weight could utilize lower carb diets to increase insulin sensitivity. Reducing calories and exercising are going to help with that anyway. I personally feel that flexibility in dieting is easier for many to stick to. There are some people who do better with rigid dieting and restriction, so take the time to figure out the method that you can stick to.
  • Microscopes
    Options

Thank you.

I could see how many would suggest lowering carbs. Many people carrying extra weight could utilize lower carb diets to increase insulin sensitivity. Reducing calories and exercising are going to help with that anyway. I personally feel that flexibility in dieting is easier for many to stick to. There are some people who do better with rigid dieting and restriction, so take the time to figure out the method that you can stick to.

Thank you.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - keeping carbs under 100 grams/day will help greatly.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights then you will need all of them carbs. I would personally prefer a high protein diet when training for fat loss. It keeps you fuller for longer and it will also help to minimise muscle degradation so I wouldn't be concerned about eating 240g. If your weight loss stalls I would firstly reduce your fat consumption. That can easily come down to 40-50g which will give you a good reduction in calories. After that reduce your carbs. Protein would be the last thing I would reduce if you are weight training.
  • Microscopes
    Options
    If you are lifting weights then you will need all of them carbs. I would personally prefer a high protein diet when training for fat loss. It keeps you fuller for longer and it will also help to minimise muscle degradation so I wouldn't be concerned about eating 240g. If your weight loss stalls I would firstly reduce your fat consumption. That can easily come down to 40-50g which will give you a good reduction in calories. After that reduce your carbs. Protein would be the last thing I would reduce if you are weight training.

Thanks Jon!