Plus Sized Women's Clothing Recommendations?

Options
augustremulous
augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
So there are a ton of reviews and blogs out there recommending women's plus sized clothing, but I am interested in *personal* recommendations from MFP folks - what brands of plus sized clothing have you tried that you really like?

I'll share mine: I can't afford it, but by far the best plus sized clothing I've tried in Marina Rinaldi. A few years ago I had a chance to meet the president, so I went to their sale and bought the nicest and most expensive dress I have. I can't afford any of their other retail items, though occasionally I find something on ebay from a wholesaler, and those are always my favorite pieces. Always the nicest clothing I have. Unfortunately that dress is a bit too small for me now (it's a 12/14 and I'm a 16/18) but I can't wait to wear it again soon :)

On the cheaper end, I recently discovered City Chic. It's really hard for me to find pants that fit well and don't stretch, and City Chic is awesome at that. Very sleek, sturdy clothes that aren't boring and are well built.

Some of the major brands are hit or miss. I've gotten some really cheaply made, overpriced clothing from Ralph Lauren, DKNY, and NYDJ, though I've gotten some decent clothes from them too.

Target had a few cute basics, too. I like Target because it's super affordable and on-trend and I don't really want to invest too much in clothes I don't plan to wear for long.

Does anyone have stuff to add - at any price point? In particular I'm interested in work out clothes.

Replies

• kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was in the woman's department and just went down to the misses department. I like Lands End, Gap, old Navy, I also shopped at Macy's woman's department for Charter Club. I also love Ralph Lauren clothes and have bought some at the outlets. I like Chicco's.
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I like Lane Bryant for professional and fun, especially their bras and undies, but they are expensive and some people don't like the quality. I think their quality is better than Ashley Stuart and maybe better than Catherine's.

I like Torrid for a younger look, but sometimes they are too young for me. Quality is near or equal LB.

Ashley Stewart looks great, but really poor quality. :/

I am like a 24-26 in my arms (super bat wings), and like an 18-20 in my bottoms, so I'm really hard to shop for in regular stores.

I like Lane Bryant for dressing professionally and their more expensive line looks beautiful, but I get tired of every blouse being $49, $59 or $69, etc. I always need a coupon or a sale for me to shop there. They have great jeans though and I like to wear lb jeans with tips from torrid. All my intimates are from LB because they make some really cute plus size lingerie that is nice and not tacky or cheap
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I shop a lot at Torrid. I usually wait until I get coupons or they have a BOGO sale to buy stuff. Their jeans are comfortable and actually sit where they are supposed to so I don't have to worry about what my boyfriend calls 'plumber's booty'. I find their clothes fit well with my personality/style so that's a big plus for me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    CJ Banks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    briegirl28 wrote: »
    I like Lane Bryant for professional and fun, especially their bras and undies, but they are expensive and some people don't like the quality. I think their quality is better than Ashley Stuart and maybe better than Catherine's.

I like Torrid for a younger look, but sometimes they are too young for me. Quality is near or equal LB.

I am like a 24-26 in my arms (super bat wings), and like an 18-20 in my bottoms, so I'm really hard to shop for in regular stores.

I like Lane Bryant for dressing professionally and their more expensive line looks beautiful, but I get tired of every blouse being $49, $59 or $69, etc. I always need a coupon or a sale for me to shop there. They have great jeans though and I like to wear lb jeans with tips from torrid. All my intimates are from LB because they make some really cute plus size lingerie that is nice and not tacky or cheap

I've shopped a lot at Lane Bryant, but only with coupons and sales. I prefer natural fabrics like cotton, and some of their cotton shirts are really thin and cheap - they are clearly meant to only last one season. I have other shirts from them that are still going strong after three years.

I've lost weight and have two LB size 20 jeans in really good shape that I'd love to sell. I'd throw in a pair that's a little more worn plus some 2 X tops.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    briegirl28 wrote: »

I've shopped a lot at Lane Bryant, but only with coupons and sales. I prefer natural fabrics like cotton, and some of their cotton shirts are really thin and cheap - they are clearly meant to only last one season. I have other shirts from them that are still going strong after three years.

I've lost weight and have two LB size 20 jeans in really good shape that I'd love to sell. I'd throw in a pair that's a little more worn plus some tops.

What type of leg on the jeans (flare, bootcut, straight) and how much would you be interested in selling them for?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    So there are a ton of reviews and blogs out there recommending women's plus sized clothing, but I am interested in *personal* recommendations from MFP folks - what brands of plus sized clothing have you tried that you really like?

I'll share mine: I can't afford it, but by far the best plus sized clothing I've tried in Marina Rinaldi. A few years ago I had a chance to meet the president, so I went to their sale and bought the nicest and most expensive dress I have. I can't afford any of their other retail items, though occasionally I find something on ebay from a wholesaler, and those are always my favorite pieces. Always the nicest clothing I have. Unfortunately that dress is a bit too small for me now (it's a 12/14 and I'm a 16/18) but I can't wait to wear it again soon :)

On the cheaper end, I recently discovered City Chic. It's really hard for me to find pants that fit well and don't stretch, and City Chic is awesome at that. Very sleek, sturdy clothes that aren't boring and are well built.

Some of the major brands are hit or miss. I've gotten some really cheaply made, overpriced clothing from Ralph Lauren, DKNY, and NYDJ, though I've gotten some decent clothes from them too.

Target had a few cute basics, too. I like Target because it's super affordable and on-trend and I don't really want to invest too much in clothes I don't plan to wear for long.

Does anyone have stuff to add - at any price point? In particular I'm interested in work out clothes.

I did get some work out clothes at Lane Bryant last year when their new Livi Active line was heavily discounted, but normally I wear things like Danskin leggings from Walmart or yoga pants from Kohl's or Target and random cheap tops.

• deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I shop all over...my fave is YOURS CLOTHING. It's a British store, shipping to the US is only $5. Different and on trend stuff. Other than there, I like The Avenue, Maurice's. For tee shirts, I shop online at Women Within, Jessica London, Full Beauty, Roman's.
    Lane Bryant is way too $$ and their jeans never fit properly.
    My daughter loves Torrid.
    Give Yours Clothing a look....good quality and not old lady styles!

For work out stuff, try Full Beauty online. They have clothes from a number of plus size online stores.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I did get some work out clothes at Lane Bryant last year when their new Livi Active line was heavily discounted, but normally I wear things like Danskin leggings from Walmart or yoga pants from Kohl's or Target and random cheap tops.

Yes for workout clothes I just get cheapo stuff from Walmart! I particularly like to find pants that have pockets, which is difficult! So many women's pants do not have pockets!!! I really don't care what my workout clothes look like, I'm not going to the gym to look pretty, I'm going there to get sweaty. So I just find any old cotton pants / sweatpants / comfy loose fitting shorts and a t-shirt. I frequently work out in my Star Wars t-shirt, and it looks like a tent now, lol.

Now if I were going to be competing in a bike race or something more "official" and "public" than the gym, I might try to find something that looks semi- cool...but again, it would probably be from Walmart. lol
  • bellajan17
    bellajan17 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not sure if y'all like thrift shopping, but I'm addicted to Thred Up... You can get all kinds of plus size clothes for realitively cheap...some of them new with the tags on. If you shop today, they have a special...you just use Savings15 as the promo code at checkout. I may have to delete the app bc I spend a lot there...lol!
  • augustremulous
    Options
    Oh wow, so many brands I've never heard of! Thanks all. I have never heard of Torrid or Give Your Clothing. And I had forgotten about Lands End - they always had the best swimsuits. I should shop there again.

In the past I haven't liked Lane Bryant because their shapes are weird and the clothes don't look very contemporary. Also they're really into polyester - I hate that artificial glitter/glint that you see with clothes that have a lot of synthetic fabrics, and LB is big on those.

@kshama2001, you should put them on ebay! I always put gently used clothes on ebay.

• augustremulous
    Options
    I was also looking at the gorgeous leggings at these companies, but I don't know if I want to spend so much on leggings I hopefully will be not be wearing for long.

http://lineagewear.com/collections/leggings-1?page=1

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Fractal9?ref=l2-shopheader-name
  • mpgundrum
    mpgundrum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Danskin Now brand from Walmart are my jam. I buy all of my workout clothes from Walmart and they really hold up. I have some capri leggings that are going on 2 years old with weekly wear and they look as good as new.
    For work clothes, I shop mainly at Lane Bryant and City Chic with some Target and Old Navy basics mixed in. I wear a 22/24.
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i didn't read through all the responses, so sorry if there are some repeats here - ModCloth, Asos, Eshakti, Charlotte Russe, Torrid, Ashley Stewart, Forever 21.....big price range with these places. also not sure about where you live, but check out Goodwill and any consignment shops
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My body is a lot different than what most plus size clothes target. I put on most of my weight in my lower hips and legs, classic pear shape. Most plus size clothes are made for Apple shapes, big stomachs and thinner legs. Plus size pants that fit in the legs have too long of a rise or are just too huge in the waist. I've had the best luck just buying regular misses jeans according to my hip measurements and having the tailor take them in. My favorite brands that offer extended Misses sizes are L.L. Bean, Boden, and J. Peterman. Boden offers actual garment measurements on their site. I look for styles that will accommodate my wider bottom half like full leg pants and full skirts. My measurements are 39" bust 36" waist and 48" hips, height 5'6", weight 220 lbs. My thighs are 26" circumference and calves are 17". Not sure if that helps at all, I know most plus size ladies are not shaped like me.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Another place that accommodates larger ladies is Vivien of Holloway, they are UK based and have a great selection of 50's style clothes. I recommend getting some kind of waist cinching shapeware for some of the styles.
  • augustremulous
    Options
    Oh wow, I had no idea Boden went up to 18. I always associated Boden with nice children's clothing :)

Great find! I'm always complimenting my niece on her Boden clothing :) Though I am an apple, unfortunately, and most plus sizes are still too tight in the waist for me. Personally I wish I were a pear - not just for the appearance, but also for the sense of balance it provides by having a lower center of gravity. Pear shapes are always so good at yoga!
  • Aspice4life
    Aspice4life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love DressBarn!!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I had no idea Boden went up to 18. I always associated Boden with nice children's clothing :)

Great find! I'm always complimenting my niece on her Boden clothing :) Though I am an apple, unfortunately, and most plus sizes are still too tight in the waist for me. Personally I wish I were a pear - not just for the appearance, but also for the sense of balance it provides by having a lower center of gravity. Pear shapes are always so good at yoga!

Boden has great clothes! I love their dresses. Always look at their clearance section--sometimes you can find good deals.

Be aware that their US sizes run a little big.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Torrid is my favorite and they almost always have some sort of sale going on