Is distilled water really supposed to "clean out" the body?

Options
karenertl
karenertl Posts: 271 Member
I saw this on Facebook. You can all rest assured that is the reason I am skeptical about it actually doing anything. I was just wondering if anyone has more information on this.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Facebook. You can all rest assured that is the reason I am skeptical about it actually doing anything. I was just wondering if anyone has more information on this.
    Nope. People have this reasoning that how something goes into the body is how it will be received. Tap water, filtered water, distilled water is all absorbed the same way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • karenertl
    Options
    Thanks! That's what I figured.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    All I know is it works for me!!!! VERY WELL! I have a list of foods that seem to help me lose weight faster and Distilled water is on that list.

ETA...NOTHING is absorbed the "same way" unless it is the SAME thing.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    All I know is it works for me!!!! VERY WELL! I have a list of foods that seem to help me lose weight faster and Distilled water is on that list.

Tell me more about how much you know about physiology!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Actually distilled water is stripped of minerals normally found in "natural" water. The body will "extract" these minerals from your body. Also, distilled water loses it's pH buffering capacity. Because of this, carbon dioxide can be readily sorbed into the water causing the pH to dip below 7 which if you drink enough distilled water can result in calcium leaching from your bones to make up for the difference. Finally, the WHO has reported an increase in childhood tooth decay because more kids are drinking bottled water rather than tap water where most major municipalities flouridate the water (usually concentrations less than 4ppm because higher concentrations would cause tooth mottling and this is the maximum allowable limit set forth by the EPA).

So to answer your questions - yes - distilled water cleans out the body... of essential minerals. If you want to drink distilled water, I would suggest 1 tsp of baking soda per gallon of distilled water. You can't even taste the baking soda.
  • mambagirl
    Options

I love the Human body,anyhow no matter what Physiology teaches,everyone should be their own guide,listen to their bodies,and observe how distilled water is working for themselves.
  • mambagirl
    Options
    Actually distilled water is stripped of minerals normally found in "natural" water. The body will "extract" these minerals from your body. Also, distilled water loses it's pH buffering capacity. Because of this, carbon dioxide can be readily sorbed into the water causing the pH to dip below 7 which if you drink enough distilled water can result in calcium leaching from your bones to make up for the difference. Finally, the WHO has reported an increase in childhood tooth decay because more kids are drinking bottled water rather than tap water where most major municipalities flouridate the water (usually concentrations less than 4ppm because higher concentrations would cause tooth mottling and this is the maximum allowable limit set forth by the EPA).

So to answer your questions - yes - distilled water cleans out the body... of essential minerals. If you want to drink distilled water, I would suggest 1 tsp of baking soda per gallon of distilled water. You can't even taste the baking soda.

You forgot the Good part.It REMOVES TOXINS and Excess Minerals from the body.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    well we'd better all get in a time machine and go teach all the Homo erectuses how to distill water, so they can clean out their bodies too of toxins and excess minerals

we evolved drinking water with minerals in it. distilled water won't do anything for your body that water with minerals in can't do, and the minerals are good for you.
  • whierd
    Options

Someone didn't read his post.

Tell me more of these mysterious toxins!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I love the Human body,anyhow no matter what Physiology teaches,everyone should be their own guide,listen to their bodies,and observe how distilled water is working for themselves.

I wish I could put up the Channing Tatum gif about science without getting a strike for the curse word in it.
  • whierd
    Options

I wish I could put up the Channing Tatum gif about science without getting a strike for the curse word in it.

You need distilled water to leech the snark toxins out of you.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options

Someone didn't read his post.

Tell me more of these mysterious toxins!

FTW!
    :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Right! Except, just like with the whole cleansing thing, I have yet for anyone to tell me a toxin that the body doesn't get rid of anyways.
  • karenertl
    Options
    Play nice, everyone.
  • whierd
    Options

Right! Except, just like with the whole cleansing thing, I have yet for anyone to tell me a toxin that the body doesn't get rid of anyways.

The TOXINS are self explanatory, Joylia. Sheesh, why must you define everything? Some things do not have explanations. Like how magnets work. Or why it gets colder as you go up in elevation TOWARDS the sun!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

The TOXINS are self explanatory, Joylia. Sheesh, why must you define everything? Some things do not have explanations. Like how magnets work. Or why it gets colder as you go up in elevation TOWARDS the sun!

*whines* But..but...I gots to know!!!!!!

tumblr_mc0jd7V9Nl1qbt1zf.gif
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Well, it's like this, Joy_Joy_: the body does a perfectly good job of getting rid of normal everyday toxins, but it's powerless at ridding itself of "TEH TOXINZZZ!!!!1!!1!leventy!!1!". Those are the ones that only a cleanse/detox can remove from the body. Nobody can define exactly what TEH TOXINZZZ!!!!1!!1!leventy!!1!" are, or by what mysterious process a cleanse/detox removes them from the body (wizardry, most likely), but the adherents are quite convinced that it happens nonetheless.

Regarding the OP - no, distilled water does not "clean out" the body or help in any way with weight loss and, as mentioned in previous posts, may actually have deleterious effects.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    well we'd better all get in a time machine and go teach all the Homo erectuses how to distill water, so they can clean out their bodies too of toxins and excess minerals

No need, they had rainwater collection to provide distilled water for them.
  • bjdw2
    bjdw2 Posts: 47
    Options
    DISTILLED WATER UNDENIABLY RESULTS IN A LONGER LIFE

...in automotive batteries and cooling systems.