One side stronger than other

Options
cbihatt
cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
I know it isn't unusual to have your dominant side be stronger than your non-dominant side. When it comes to lifting weights, do you lift appropriately for the weaker side and hope it catches up over time? Or do you do extra work on that side to try to build it up a little? Also, when doing exercises that use both arms or both legs, how do you insure that you aren't relying on your strong side to do more of the work?

Replies

• healthyhabits98
    healthyhabits98 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Generally when you do an excersize that uses both limbs the difference in strength isn't enough to really matter. When it comes to lifting weights try to do the same weight on both sides, but focus on pushing your non-dominent (or weak) side more. If you find a significant difference between the two then you can do small "excersizes" with the weak hand. Such as practicing writing (when its not for something important) or typing with that hand, etc. After time you shouldn't notice as big a difference, if any.
  • cbihatt
    Options
    So, basically I shouldn't worry about it too much. Thanks!
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had a shoulder replacement and was much weaker on the surgical side. Been doing progressive strength training for 6 months and that arm has caught up nicely w/ the other w/ no extra work. It's like my body knows it wants to be symmetrical or something.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Try using unilateral exercises using the same weight in both hands. The trick is to start with your weaker side and make sure if you hit 8 with that side, that you stop at 8 on your dominant side. Even if you could do another 1-3. It'll help your weaker side catch up. For multilateral compound movements the best thing you can do is focus on your connection with your weaker side by really trying to squeeze with those muscles.

Once you get into heavier lifts such as bench press and overhead press. The strength difference will become extremely apparent. Have you ever seen someone do bench press but the sides are going up and down at different rates? It's due to one side being stronger/overpowering the other. Writing will help with coordination, but in no way will it build significant strength transferable to weight lifting.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Try using unilateral exercises using the same weight in both hands. The trick is to start with your weaker side and make sure if you hit 8 with that side, that you stop at 8 on your dominant side. Even if you could do another 1-3. It'll help your weaker side catch up.

^^This. Same thing with unilateral leg exercises (lunges, step-ups, etc.). Start on weaker side, and only do same number of reps with dominant/stronger side.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do a lot of free weight training which requires both limbs to work independently. And a lot of my exercises are single side, like single leg press, or single arm row. i dont worry which side is stronger or making them even in strength.
  • cbihatt
    Options
    Try using unilateral exercises using the same weight in both hands. The trick is to start with your weaker side and make sure if you hit 8 with that side, that you stop at 8 on your dominant side. Even if you could do another 1-3. It'll help your weaker side catch up. For multilateral compound movements the best thing you can do is focus on your connection with your weaker side by really trying to squeeze with those muscles.

Once you get into heavier lifts such as bench press and overhead press. The strength difference will become extremely apparent. Have you ever seen someone do bench press but the sides are going up and down at different rates? It's due to one side being stronger/overpowering the other. Writing will help with coordination, but in no way will it build significant strength transferable to weight lifting.
    Try using unilateral exercises using the same weight in both hands. The trick is to start with your weaker side and make sure if you hit 8 with that side, that you stop at 8 on your dominant side. Even if you could do another 1-3. It'll help your weaker side catch up.

^^This. Same thing with unilateral leg exercises (lunges, step-ups, etc.). Start on weaker side, and only do same number of reps with dominant/stronger side.

Interesting. I usually start with my strong side, so I will try switching to using my weak side first. Thanks!
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I realized I was right hand dominate in barbell exercises many years ago (I'm old). Then, I switched to dumb bells and it has helped even out both arms now. Example. Bench press