Anemic and Lactose Intolerant

Options
Hi, just looking for some new ideas for breakfast and to help with the low energy I feel when I don't get enough protein in my day. There are a lot of things that have lactose and because I get sick I think I'm eating the wrong things. I am going to start tracking what I do eat and maybe start with a probiotic which i know helps me to degest and have more energy. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    eggs (or egg whites) scrambled with some spinach peppers and a a soy cheese if you can't have reg cheese wrapped in a high fibre tortilla ...ohh maybe a bit of salsa

if you are lab confirmed anemic (yuck it sucks) get on a good iron supplement, I like the liquid as it's easier on the gut (floridix? sp?) but when I'm severely anemic I need the higher dose pills.
  • erodriquez
    erodriquez Posts: 56
    Options
    Thank you! (tested and approved by the MD) I am supposed to take two pills a day of iron I am just trying to supplement with the food I eat
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    anemia really gets exhausting to deal with, I'm back on low dose iron and sublingual b12 as I've developed an aversion to meat so I'm on a preventative dose.

You can up how much iron you absorb from food
    * Meat sources of iron (you will absorb more from meat than non meat sources)
    * Vitamin C will help absorb plant iron
    * adding a meat protein will also boost the absorption of plant iron ...so spinach with beef?

and I heard some times soybeans can decrease the iron absorption (but can't find the reference for it)

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/#en17