Fasting

Options
Hi

Never have tried fasting (intermittent fasting) before after speaking to a mate whos encouraged me to try it out and now reading online there are all sorts of ideas out there.

My friend has his last meal at 6pm and then wont eat again until 11am so only eats in a 7 hour window... He comes to the gym and exercises before 11am in the morning too.

I'd like to try it but I've always eaten every 2-3 hours from morning til night, I am always hungry.. Ive been living like a pig so I know I'll struggle... I often feel my blood sugar levels drop if I haven't eaten enough in the morning or if my body is starving of some nutrition but I want to give it a go.

Can anyone suggest anything out there?

Eating only between 11am - 6pm, are you meant to do it every single day as well?

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You say you want to try it but then pretty much say eating frequently works better for you. So this doesn't sound like it's for you, there's no need to force yourself to try a way of eating that does not work for you. There isn't anything special about this that you'd be missing out on. But if you absolutely feel you must give it a try, then do it in a way that works for you. If you want to have limited eating windows on some days and eat more 'normally' on others, do it. IF as prescribed insists you do it everyday to get used to eating at the same time, or something like that. But honestly, as long as you're eating as much as you need to eat for whatever your goals are, it doesn't matter. You don't need eating rules imposed on you, just make your own up that work for you.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You can still over consume calories eating between a certain hour. It is all about calorie intake. If you are hungry between meals, I will bet you will be really hungry by 11am. There is nothing magical about IF.

read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think the reasoning is that a structure to your eating is a good thing, but "meals", "skipping breakfast" and "moderation" sounds so boring. Words like "fasting" and "feeding window" give this approach a more fancy ring to it. Eat in a way that makes sense to YOU.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    This method works for me only because I have less hunger throughout the day if I skip breakfast. It's a highly individual thing.

Also, I think a person should see a doctor before they do this, especially if they have blood sugar regulation problems.
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You arent hungry all the time, your body is simply used to eating all the time.

If you normally eat breakfast, and skip it one day, your body tells you you are hungry, rally really hungry, used to happen to me all the time.
    Now, I dont eat breakfast, and I dont feel hungry until after 1pm.

I used to eat a big sandwich and a packet of crisps for lunch, now I just have a protein shake, for a few days, I was really hungry, but you soon get used to it.

I used to eat my tea around 7pm, now, I am feeling hungry by 5pm, and I am really hungry, not just, I'm used to eating at this time.

Dont expect magic from it.
  • Jeniccm
    Jeniccm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to be smaller and IF was naturally my eating pattern. I started dating someone who I now see had an unhealthy relationship with food. Being around him I added in breakfast and seemed to go from being satisfied to always hungry which led to bigger lunches, snacks and bigger dinners. That relationship ultimately ended but by then I was 15lbs heavier and my body was used to all the food and I was so hungry. I kept the pattern and worked out, ultimately losing 5lbs but stalled.

At the start of this year I slowly started paying attention to my food, my hunger queues and triggers. I stayed in my calorie limit but learned a few things. I was always hungry at night. I arranged my calories to include a bedtime snack and that helped but I was sad at how small my dinners were.

I started IF again in February and it took a while for my body to get used to again but now it's easy and I'm down to my old weight.

I am more satisfied during the day when I don't eat until later, my insatiable hunger is gone. I have a larger dinner and no longer need to snack before I go to bed because I'm no longer hungry. I'm able to eat when my body is hungry and stop when I'm full without feeling deprived and I don't have crazy cravings anymore.

From being on both sides, I can see that we train our body and it reacts. Get it used to eating all the time and it will want to eat all the time. It takes time to retrain it though, just like if you aren't a runner and want to start - your body slowly adapts.

IF is the key that has always worked for me