Sodium

Any tips on lowering sodium? Lunch meat, turkey and chicken ate killing me. Along with Frank's red hot. Even brown and wild rice. I need a shopping buddy. Lol

Replies

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Ugh. Me too!
    I had no idea how much sodium I was eating until I had to watch it.
    So far the changes I have made:
    Cook chicken/ turkey and use that for lunches instead of deli meat.
    Cut down on all processed stuff. They add salt to EVERYTHING.

I'd love some more tips!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    don't eat the things you listed? Lol. Or reduce them. There's nothing wrong with sodium, unless you have a health condition limiting your intake. Just stay hydrated. Also, if you do want to lower it, stay away from canned items or choose the no salt added versions, sauces, pre packaged meats...etc
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Find stuff that is low in sodium and stick to those. Anything processed is going to have more and so try to stay away from those.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I was put on a low sodium program almost two years ago. After awhile, it becomes easy to avoid the stuff.

Be sure to check labels. Many canned goods are filled with sodium, so look for low sodium or "salt-free" labels. Tuna too. I buy no salt added tuna at Whole Foods. Believe it, or not, theirs is the least expensive that I have found.

Deli meats, cured meats, most cheeses, frozen foods are filled with sodium (as preservatives).

You will want to look at fresh meats, rather than deli meats. Also, experiment with herbs and spices (be sure to read those labels too, as many spices do have salt in them.)
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Occasionally going over your sodium isn't that big of a deal unless your doctor has told you so. From the American Heart Association :

"The effects of salt and sodium on blood pressure tend to be greater in blacks, people over 50, and people with high blood pressure, diabetes or kidney disease. That’s about half the American population."

Instead of turkey lunch meat, buy a turkey breast from your butcher and roast it yourself. Slice it and make sandwiches out of it. Same with chicken breasts. It won't have the same exact texture but will be less processed and have less sodium. You can also look for reduced salt deli products.

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Oh, another thing I noticed. The IQF (individually quick frozen) chicken breast you buy in the bag have salt added.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    You are going to have to start cooking everything yourself.