Leg pain after running

Options
2»

Replies

• workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Decrease your miles and work up. I would start at 2 miles and add a 1/2 mile each week. Also, have you been fit for a proper shoe?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    BTW - I like your profile picture. I'll be seeing The Who again on Wednesday in Pittsburgh.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Almost any workout that you are doing multiple times per week would benefit from being spread out. When you go out and run you do a certain degree of damage to the muscles and tendons of your legs and feet, which can result in soreness when you finish or a day or two latter. Given time to recover the soreness goes away and your running related conditioning and fitness increase by a small amount. Repeat this process enough times and eventually you can see a large increase in your running conditioning and fitness. If you stop repeating this process or don't do it frequently enough, then conditioning and fitness will start decreasing.

The problem with only running on Saturday and Sunday is:
    1) Sunday's run will be compromised because you are already sore/fatigued from Saturday's run because you did not give yourself sufficient time to recover.
    2) For an untrained runner six days is too long to go between running sessions. A well conditioned athlete can go 2 to 3 weeks without losing a significant level of fitness (7% of VO2 Max) (http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-out-of-shape_70267). However a beginning athlete does not have much fitness to lose and given enough time can go beck to their original fitness level (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/Deconditioning.htm).
    3) Progress will be slow, if at all, and there is a high likelihood of soreness after each run. Each Saturday's run would almost be like starting from scratch. This can result in frustration and giving up on running.

By spacing out your runs more evenly thru the week you will not be carrying as much damage and fatigue into your runs and they can be a higher quality run. You also will not be going so long between runs that you start experiencing deconditioning.

Training is a balancing act between stressing particular parts of your body enough to produce adaptations to the stress and providing your body enough to time to at least partially recover from the damage caused by the stress.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Nothing can prepare you for running except running. You have to start slowly no matter how athletic you are. Even folks that run several times a week for years risk injury if they suddenly increase distance too dramatically.

Plus, the weekend warrior approach is probably not going to help in the long run. Consistency is the key to running and doing it back to back days one time per week is probably not a good strategy.

I agree with this fellow.

I am a fan of 3x a week running when you first start with a mandatory rest day in between. You are in that dangerous zone where your cardiovascular fitness is leagues ahead of your muscle/ligament/tendon adaptations. Try to add a third day, 2 back-to-back is sort of the worst. You will struggle to progress, struggle to get adequate rest, and struggle to improve with so many non-running days in between. Anyways, if you want to keep running try not to do too much too soon. 2-3 miles 3x a week with a rest day would be preferable. After 3-4 weeks of that you can start bumping up the distance again. Try not to increase weekly mileage by more than 10% a week.

Maybe look up some of Hal Higdon's plans, they are pretty reasonable in weekly mileage and increases.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have proper shoes and don't up your mileage too quickly.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    trueblu3 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for advice.. I already workout every weeknight by doing t25 which I love and when that is completed I will be doing insanity max 30. I also love running so I really want to do the both and just need advice on how to incorporate both into my schedule without burning out. I think I'll run every Tuesday Thursday and Saturday and still do the circuit training every night. From now on I'll stick to 2/3 miles until I'm ready to increase the distance

When combining running with T25/Max 30 I will replace the cardio workouts with running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    But then the program wouldn't work.. Does everyone think running 3 times a week and doing circuit training 5 times a week to much?

What programme wouldn't work?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The t25 program.. I want to complete it properly and I'm not gonna replace t25 cardio workouts with running. Maybe it would be best for me to stick to the exercise bike and t25 every weeknight. Once I've completed the 8 weeks of insanity as well then maybe I can start a running regime

If that's what you'd rather do.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    But then the program wouldn't work.. Does everyone think running 3 times a week and doing circuit training 5 times a week to much?

Doing running on top of HIIT style workouts is a recipe for over training and injury. At the very least temporarily cut out a couple days of the T25/Max 30 to insure that you are getting adequate recovery time. After a month of running you can experiment with adding back the days you cut out. However if you feel fatigued or if you are carrying a lot of soreness from one workout to another then you will need to cutback somewhere.

You should always have at least one rest day a week. On a rest day you can walk, do yoga, stretch, or any other low impact exercise that would aid recovery.

As you get older you need to think more about the quality of your workouts over the quantity of workouts. If you develop an overuse injury, especially in your lower body or back, it will take longer to heal than when you were in your twenties. Some injuries will stay with you for the rest of your life, just waiting to rear its head when ever you over do it.