walking little dogs

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
This is about exercise, but not for me (well inadvertantly for me). We're dog sitting for my fiance's parents this weekend, we have their jack chi (jack russel-chiuaua). I love to take her for walks when we have her since I love walks and the novelty of walking a dog since we don't have one, but I'm never sure how far I can walk her. She's a bundle of energy (she's 3 years old) but I am unsure of how far little dogs can walk (she's about 20 pounds and closer to the size of a jack rather than a teeny chiuaua).

I've never asked my future in-laws, but I get the feeling they don't walk her very far anyway. So for you little dog owners, how far is a good distance to walk her so she gets a good walk, but isn't too far for her little legs?

Replies

• isloboda1
    isloboda1 Posts: 1
    Options
    It depends on the dog. I would take her for a test run and start off with 1/2 mile. If she doesn't seem to be tired do the full mile. One thing about dogs, most of them love to walk. If she is little enough you can always carry her back if you think she's had too much.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    I have a 2 year old, 8.5 lb Yorkie named Jinx. I walk with him and my Cocker Spaniel and I go no further that 2 miles total and he is a trooper, he is right in front of me leading the way ALL THE TIME!
  • macjam22
    macjam22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a puppy that is about 20 lbs right now. We walk him on average 2-3 times a day usually for about 20 mins at a time (easy strolling walk). By the end of the walk he is tired and falls asleep when we get home! Jack Russels/ JR Mixes are a high energy dog so you should be fine walking for the same time period. Just let her tell you when it might be time to turn and head for him. If she starts getting really tired, she'll show it :)
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    A dog that size is nice because if she wears out before you do you can just pouch her and the added 2# adds to your work out.:flowerforyou:
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    The distance will change depending on a few conditions. Will they be walking on a soft shaded trail or hot pavement? will they be on leash being forced to walk your pace or will they be off leash and allowed to run around at their own pace. I'm part of a group who hikes with their dogs. the dogs range from chi's to Great Danes. I've seen the great dane tire out before a lot of the smaller dogs. So it just depends on the conditions of where you are walking as well as the condition of the dog it self.

I'd play it safe and wouldn't exceed 2 miles. Although the dogs in our group have hiked up to 9 with us. and JRT's normally are high energy dogs.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    My 7lb chihuahua goes on half hour walks with us. As long as its not 90 degrees outside it's no problem. Do you have a collar or harness to walk the dog with? A small dog should have a harness as to not damage the throat since they usually have delicate throats.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    The distance will change depending on a few conditions. Will they be walking on a soft shaded trail or hot pavement? will they be on leash being forced to walk your pace or will they be off leash and allowed to run around at their own pace. I'm part of a group who hikes with their dogs. the dogs range from chi's to Great Danes. I've seen the great dane tire out before a lot of the smaller dogs. So it just depends on the conditions of where you are walking as well as the condition of the dog it self.

I'd play it safe and wouldn't exceed 2 miles. Although the dogs in our group have hiked up to 9 with us. and JRT's normally are high energy dogs.

It would be around our neighborhood which is sidewalks with shade here and there but mostly out in the open. She'll be on a leash, but if there is any forcing to walk at a certain pace, it is her forcing me to walk faster, lol :laugh:
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    My 7lb chihuahua goes on half hour walks with us. As long as its not 90 degrees outside it's no problem. Do you have a collar or harness to walk the dog with? A small dog should have a harness as to not damage the throat since they usually have delicate throats.

Yes she has a harness. Ok I was hoping to go for about half an hour, so that's good. In the past I've taken her for about 15-20 but she still seems to be at top energy when we get home so I think she can easily handle 10-15 more.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    A dog that size is nice because if she wears out before you do you can just pouch her and the added 2# adds to your work out.:flowerforyou:

Ah very true, I could always carry her if she is looking tired.
  • caitlin15
    caitlin15 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey there-

I have a chiweenie that's 11 Ibs. and she loves going outside for walks! Since I live in the south, I only walk her for 20ish minutes since it's scorching outside so depends on the weather whereever you are! Also, start with 20 minutes then just make a judgement decision on how the dog is acting.

Good luck and have fun!
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    30 mins and just around the neighborhood? I would imagine the dog would be able to handle that no problem
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have a chi/jack mix and we will easily walk 3-4 miles with me on a cool day and 1-2 on a hot day. If you do plan to go longer than 30 minutes bring a collapsible bowl (most are around $3-$5) and bottle of water that you can share. Jacks and jack mixes are usually high energy but this isn't always the case, I have a full breed jack and she isn't loud, excitable, nor does she have a prey drive like most jacks. My chi/jack is very much a jack....very excitable and loud (she loves to talk, lol).