Low carb diet leading me to constant binges - help! -

Replies

• Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Lol
    Its ok I actually upped my fats considerably i took a look at my diary in the past days and there is no fats at all !
    I was always afraid of eating fats thinking it will make me fat .
    Even now , i started by eating an avacado a day and using coconut oil in my coffee and I'm scared of gaining...
    But tell u what , i can already feel fuller !
    Any options other than avacado & cooking oils ?
    Something that would ve just grab n go that has a higher fat amount ?
    Thank u all for takong ur timebto advise me , all the best to all of u :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Butter, full fat cheeses, whole eggs, moderate amounts of seeds and nuts, eat fattier cuts of meat (80/20 ground beef, pork shoulder, chuck roast, rib eye, dark meat chicken with the skin, oily fish). High fat grab n go options can be trickier - I like hard boiling eggs so I have some on hand, string cheese is great (get the full fat ones), nuts are portable and reasonably fatty, but do tend to have a good deal of protein and the portions are smaller than you might think. Really, just opting for fattier meats, adding butter to veggies, and sticking with full fat dairy should set you on the right path! Glad you are feeling fuller :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    So we've got someone here plainly saying her low carb diet makes her binge and most people's advice is "Keep doing low carb" and "you're just not doing it right"?

Context. We have someone with a medical condition that typically responds well to lowering carbs, who's been advised by her medical doctor to lower her carbs, and who was advised on here to shift her fats, rather than her protein, up. A logical suggestion, given the context.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    So we've got someone here plainly saying her low carb diet makes her binge and most people's advice is "Keep doing low carb" and "you're just not doing it right"?

She's doing it for medical reasons, wants to do it, maybe was prone to binge anyway and "Low carb high protein" isn't what most people find success with.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    dbattan wrote: »
    Read "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy" By Walter Willett, Head of Nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. Flow it. Lots of delicious stuff to eat. Forget the low carb nonsense.

I don't think those people who's medical conditions and weight loss have dramatically improved due to Low carb would see this woe as nonsense

I don't see any evidence that OP falls in that category, and there are tons of healthy ways to eat that aren't low carb.
  • yarwell
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't see any evidence that OP falls in that category

What other than her having PCOS and Doctor's advice that low carb works well for this in their experience ?
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2016

Bingo.

OP, find a way to eat that satisfies you. There's nothing magical about low carb (contra the low carb evangelists on MFP) and personally eating lots of fat (in particular the insane amounts of sat fat often recommended in these parts) does not satisfy me at all). Try increasing fiber, perhaps, or just eating an overall healthy diet and not focusing on macros.
  • lemurcat12
    yarwell wrote: »

What other than her having PCOS and Doctor's advice that low carb works well for this in their experience ?

Her dr said maybe try it, she tried it, did not do well. That's NOT medical advice that she should go low carb, sorry, I know you think it's the diet for all, ugh.
  • yarwell
    edited March 2016

Her dr said maybe try it, she tried it, did not do well. That's NOT medical advice that she should go low carb, sorry, I know you think it's the diet for all, ugh.

I have never said its the diet for all, ever.

She lost weight and stalled. Then the Doc said try low carb as you have PCOS, she's trying it and having problems. Carbohydrate restriction often works well in PCOS ( link ). The OP also said "I finally found what works" so I'm trying to help.

So she should go back to the approach that stalled ? Just because of vegetable and fruit evangelists with the insane amounts of dietary fiber and sugars.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

There is a significant body of evidence that would suggest that a LCHF diet is ideal for those with PCOS. But having said that, I have seen huge ranges from 20g to 120g net carbs a day. It really depends on the individual and how severe the condition. With that being said, the implementation of such plan can have huge affects on the person and sometimes jumping right in can have adverse effects. I generally recommend a slower transition to understand all of the details.

OP, you can still have fruit, but it is probably more ideal to look at low GI/low sugar fruits and it might be best to limit to one serving a day. Fat doesn't make you fat, but evidence would still support it should come from unsaturated sources.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

There is a significant body of evidence that would suggest that a LCHF diet is ideal for those with PCOS. But having said that, I have seen huge ranges from 20g to 120g net carbs a day. It really depends on the individual and how severe the condition. With that being said, the implementation of such plan can have huge affects on the person and sometimes jumping right in can have adverse effects. I generally recommend a slower transition to understand all of the details.

OP, you can still have fruit, but it is probably more ideal to look at low GI/low sugar fruits and it might be best to limit to one serving a day. Fat doesn't make you fat, but evidence would still support it should come from unsaturated sources.

I personally think a moderate diet that she can stick to will do her 1000 times better than a low carb diet that makes her gain more weight because she can't control it.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2016

She lost weight and stalled. Then the Doc said try low carb as you have PCOS, she's trying it and having problems. Carbohydrate restriction often works well in PCOS ( link ). The OP also said "I finally found what works" so I'm trying to help.

So she should go back to the approach that stalled ? Just because of vegetable and fruit evangelists with the insane amounts of dietary fiber and sugars.

She lost 35 lb the other way and stalled (probably not in a deficit any more).

She cut carbs and lost 4 lb -- no big deal, likely water weight or a positive reaction to any extreme change (I switched my diet this week and wouldn't be at all surprised with a big swing, as I typically get it with a switch). I agree that cutting carbs can be good for some, but not if you feel deprived or binge. Only evangelists would argue otherwise.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

In the same breath where she said "I finally found what works" she also said she regularly binges on the foods she completely cut out in order to become low carb, making her regain all the weight she's losing over and over again.
    I don't know where you're coming from, but over here a "working" approach looks different.
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2016

I personally think a moderate diet that she can stick to will do her 1000 times better than a low carb diet that makes her gain more weight because she can't control it.

Oh I understand this and agree that dietary compliance > all. And if she was losing on a higher to moderate carb diet, than I wouldn't see a reason to change, unless it wasn't improving her condition.
  • latifahemovon
    latifahemovon Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm currently on 20g max carbs per day ! I do get cravings sometimes but the lifesavers that have stopped me from binging are : SUGARFREE JELLY WITH CREAM ON TOP & I do enjoy this shake : 13g unflavoured whey protein, 1 cub almond milk, 20g chia seeds & 10g raw cacao powder & vanilla essence or flavdrops to taste. Hope this helps :) x

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Happy that you are finding the glories in fat. Others have mentioned portable fats. I use cheese, nuts, pepperoni sticks and hiker's mix. Just measure it carefully.

You might ask your doctor if you could benefit from Metformin. It is used by diabetics but it shows good results with patients with PCOS too.

If you have a sweet tooth, perhaps you would enjoy hard candies for diabetics, typically sweetened with Xylitol.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Are you eating enough fat? Did your doctor give you any guidelines for your macros?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Not sure why but maybe low carb isn't for you?

Low carb was recommended by her doctor as a way of mitigating a potentially dangerous health condition that predisposes the OP to diabetes and heart disease.
  • psuLemon
    OP, another thing you could do since you have a sweet tooth, is just incorporate a small treat into your diet. I preplan my calories for the day, and I try to work in something.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    OP, another thing you could do since you have a sweet tooth, is just incorporate a small treat into your diet. I preplan my calories for the day, and I try to work in something.

Great suggestion.