The most uninformed award goes to...

Options
thatshistorical
thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
I'm no expert, but I know enough to spot when someone needs an intervention on diet/exercise before they get hurt. This topic isn't to poke fun, but just go "WOW HOW DID THEY COME UP WITH THAT?"

I had an ex who insisted that 2000cal a day was for really tall people. She was 5'4". So she said she would eat 1000 calories (no real reason why.) from that, she thought she had to have a calorie deficit each day ON TOP of her BMR. So she "dieted" even lower, eating 500 calories a day and workin out to try to burn them.

I had to send a barrage of links to show her how she was slowly killing herself through starvation and exhaustion and she wasn't really losing weight anyway so her methods were wrong, so wrong.

She ended up just eating one meal a day--a large Wendy's chili (gag) and chain smoking. We split, btw.

She was confused bc no one has ever explained deficit, maintenance, gain calorie goals. I told her to get on MFP but noooooo.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    You can't force anyone to try to learn. They have to be willing to accept the information. And usually that happens when they come to ASK YOU, not by you telling them.
    I see it on a daily basis. While my job is to assist people in the gym, I don't go around telling them what they are doing is wrong (with the exception of someone doing something possibly dangerous and causing themselves physical injury). I see people do nothing but abs when they come in and still have no waist size reduction or 6 packs. But I'm not going to tell them they are wasting their time. They'll come to me (or someone else) and ask, then they'll learn why.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    and she wasn't really losing weight anyway

Incorrect, she would have been losing weight. If she hadn't been losing weight eating so little, there wouldn't have been a health issue over it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    I just had to throw this in there though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL-NjfDm9ic

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love Wendy's chili :*
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think I would give the award to my younger self in my twenties. I was so clueless - dieting to the extreme, exerting my iron will power (which I think I burned out on ) over myself to eat low fat (popular at the time) laden with high sodium and sugars meals, then yo-yoing up to a high weight - I seriously could never hold on to a size - my friends and family never knew in what shape they were going to find me.

I was doing so much damage to my metabolism back then. I used to lose weight quickly, but I think every time I gained back weight, less of it was muscle and more of it fat.
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The award goes to my mom's friend who could lose about 150 lbs. She constantly brags about not eating often, but when she does eat, her huge unhealthy portions equals to about 3 to 4 meals, and she doesn't move. That's the same person who asks me how I stay so fit. I work out 5 times a week.

• tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The other award goes to all the people who want to lose their bellies just by doing crunches and sit ups. They should know those things aren't bad, but they will not reduce your belly without a proper fat loss program.
  • MegaScorpion
    MegaScorpion Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There are people who want to grow and then there are people who want to be right. Arguing with the latter is an exercise in futility.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I know enough to spot when someone needs an intervention on diet/exercise before they get hurt. This topic isn't to poke fun, but just go "WOW HOW DID THEY COME UP WITH THAT?"

I had an ex who insisted that 2000cal a day was for really tall people. She was 5'4". So she said she would eat 1000 calories (no real reason why.) from that, she thought she had to have a calorie deficit each day ON TOP of her BMR. So she "dieted" even lower, eating 500 calories a day and workin out to try to burn them.

I had to send a barrage of links to show her how she was slowly killing herself through starvation and exhaustion and she wasn't really losing weight anyway so her methods were wrong, so wrong.

She ended up just eating one meal a day--a large Wendy's chili (gag) and chain smoking. We split, btw.

She was confused bc no one has ever explained deficit, maintenance, gain calorie goals. I told her to get on MFP but noooooo.

If she wasn't losing weight while only eating a large Wendy's chili, she was eating more than a large Wendy's chili.

I get where you're coming from, though. I find the General Diet and Weight Loss forum depressing these days.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I just had to throw this in there though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL-NjfDm9ic

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That made my day!!!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    There are people who want to grow and then there are people who want to be right. Arguing with the latter is an exercise in futility.

:heart: