Want to lose muscle

Options
e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
Hi!

I've been an athlete for my whole life, consisting of mostly gymnastics. Therefore, I'm very muscular. I'm about to graduate college and move on with my life, and one of my goals is to slim down. I don't have a need for all this bulk. I'm wondering what type of exercises and diet systems would help me remain fit but not have bigger biceps than my husband--so reduce my muscle mass. Get what I'm saying? Any and all advice would be much-appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A ginormous calorie deficit will do the job
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Plus no exercise
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Plus no exercise

Or lots of steady state cardio and not eating back your exercise calories.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm writing this.The only time I lost any noticeable amount of muscle was when I took up crocheting and sat on my butt for hours on end and did no other activity. If you don't use your muscles you will lose them. I wasn't trying to lose lbm, but I did.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Eating low on the protein, don't strength train, near the top end of a calorie deficit. Or just get a buffed out husband who doesn't care. Of course, I'd not endorse not training and eating low protein. Losing muscle takes quite a bit of effort and ANY physical activity that reactivates it can get hypertrophy to happen again.

BTW, your pic doesn't looked "bulked up" at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Low protein (high enough for good health) + steady state cardio.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I wish muscle was transferable. I'd happily accept some of your "excess bulk"! :)
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

Just what I was thinking.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Simply not training as much will help out. Don't use them and you'll lose them. Keep eating healthy, keep working out, just not as intensely as you were with the gymnastics. I DON'T recommend a large calorie deficit or lowering protein; be patient, find other ways to workout that don't use as much strength and the muscles will decrease on their own
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I also agree that you don't look in the slightest bit 'bulky'
  • Amillerr90
    Amillerr90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all, you don't seem "big" in your picture at all! but everyone has their own ideal body :smiley: Now if you want to lose muscle, you should maintain a healthy diet consisting in low fat low protein and high carbs. Why high carbs you would ask? Well because the training you will have to do to lose muscle requires it! You should start running/jogging/walking long distances at steady pace, trekking is also very good! Just notice the physique of marathon athletes or any long distance runner, and you'll see they are all pretty slim, with fibrous but small muscles, which are ideal for resistance, instead of bulky muscles that are ideal for explosive and heavy WO. Hope it helps and good luck!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is your avi current?

Going from an active college lifestyle to full time employment often translates to added fat/weight (more sedentary hours in general, more money for food, etc.) It's likely you'll meet your goal of increasing your body fat % with relatively little effort.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eating low on the protein, don't strength train, near the top end of a calorie deficit. Or just get a buffed out husband who doesn't care. Of course, I'd not endorse not training and eating low protein. Losing muscle takes quite a bit of effort and ANY physical activity that reactivates it can get hypertrophy to happen again.

Do you have any evidence to support this? Whenever I gain muscle though weight training and then I stop the training and the diet that earned me that muscle, it went away quickly. Would I get it back faster if I started that training once more than I did during the initial gain and specific diet? Yes. Would it just accidentally come back without effort and specific diet? My thinking is no.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You don't look bulky at all. In fact, I think you look very nice.

You'll probably be fine without doing anything drastic . you'll graduate college and move forward with a desk job likely and won't be training so much because you'll be busy working and having an adult life. So because your lifestyle will change so much, you likely won't be training so often anyway. I wouldn't even worry about losing muscle if I where you. You look great already and once your out in the real world, you probably won't be training much anyway.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Maybe keep doing what you're doing and buy hubby a shake weight?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for all that bulk and also not seeing it
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    try doing some yoga also, that can help stretch out bulky muscle. Also lots of veggies with not too much protein.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I found being hit by a car and spending 3 months on crutches was very effective - but only lost muscle from the leg that was dangling uselessly.
    Inactivity will result in muscle loss. Simple as that, no need to reduce protein or even a calorie deficit.

But like many others in this thread I don't think you are very muscular at all let alone bulky.

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    This must not be a current pic because I don't see any bulk.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Maybe keep doing what you're doing and buy hubby a shake weight?

Haha yes!