Cheat day turned to binge eating

Options
Ok. I was going strong for 2 weeks. I decided to have a cheat day on one of the weekends. What started of as a cheat meal. (Nutella+ bread) ended up stuffing my face in It all night and morning. I'm probably had more than 2000 calories. I hadn't eaten Nutella/ butter chicken / chips for a year. Now I feel nausea and I just want to stick my finger and let it out.

Replies

• Helloidentitycrisis
    Helloidentitycrisis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Nah, don't be hard on yourself. Live and learn... And get back on track tomorrow like it never happened.

Purging will make very little difference and you'll do much better if you just jump back on the wagon!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on. You're human. It happens. (And don't purge please...)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »

All of this.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about that. I regularly have a cheat meal that's easily 2,000 calories every week. It's not stopped me.

Just keep going. It's the long-term that matters.

DEFINITELY don't purge.
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's ok to have a cheat day every once in a while. However, it is hard when you have been eating really well and then eat not so healthy options. Your body tend to get sick because it is not used to it. Keep up the good work!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

Is there any point in logging it? Trying to remember it all is going to keep it prominent in her head when she needs to move on. Plus, what is going to be achieved? Is she supposed to then make up for that excess and severely restrict calories the next day or two? People keep saying this and I never understand why, to me it just seems better to forget about it and get back on track.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Well...why have a cheat day then if it's triggering to you? Why not just settle for incorporating a small portion of those things into your diet throughout the week? I think it can be more damaging to treat foods as taboo and then try to make them "cheats" then to get accustomed to portion control when you want something.

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

Is there any point in logging it? Trying to remember it all is going to keep it prominent in her head when she needs to move on. Plus, what is going to be achieved? Is she supposed to then make up for that excess and severely restrict calories the next day or two? People keep saying this and I never understand why, to me it just seems better to forget about it and get back on track.

Honesty. Accountability. Learning from one's mistakes. Seeing if there's a pattern that might lead to figuring out if something specific triggers a binge (i.e., too much restricting). But mostly honesty and learning to keep going.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    My rule is always log, no matter what.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I have days of uncontrolled eating, I create a new meal title. That says..".Uncontrolled Eating! Stop it!"...something like that. If you are exercising, you will create an extra 2000 calories easily. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Well...why have a cheat day then if it's triggering to you? Why not just settle for incorporating a small portion of those things into your diet throughout the week? I think it can be more damaging to treat foods as taboo and then try to make them "cheats" then to get accustomed to portion control when you want something.

I was just thinking this. I used to have Nutella every day. I'd log it, and it was a regular snack. The key for me is that I know I am dealing with over-eating and binging. My trigger is a lack of accountability and eliminating certain foods. That's when I crave and/or over-eat. Now I eat those things that sound good, but I fit them into my day. If it's something I know might lead to wanting more and more, I might eat it right after a meal, that way I'm not also actually battling real hunger on top of cravings and wanting to binge.

But I agree. Log it and tomorrow is a new day. I log my overages so I know what to expect. You didn't fail; you are human, and there will always be days that we aren't super proud of. You are still here. You didn't take this moment and quit. For me, I would give myself some credit. Celebrate surviving the lows as much as you appreciate the highs.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Honesty. Accountability. Learning from one's mistakes. Seeing if there's a pattern that might lead to figuring out if something specific triggers a binge (i.e., too much restricting). But mostly honesty and learning to keep going.

Yes, this should be logged just for accountability. There may be some who find it truly detrimental to log a binge because they dwell on it. For me logging allows me to move on because I know I'm not in denial. If I don't log it then I end up thinking about it more.

And no, I wouldn't try to cut extra calories or exercise more to make up for it. No need to add to the stress.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    My rule is always log, no matter what.

Mine also. Every single bite.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

For me personally, logging a binge keeps me accountable. It allows me to see just how many calories (approx) I did consume. Not logging and simply forgetting about binges is exactly what got me here in the first place. I find getting back on track is easier if I am accountable for my actions. But what works for me may not work for you or even the OP... it was just my two cents.
  • James12315
    James12315 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I avoid cheat days because I can just as easily lose control with binge eating also. I would suggest though you need to consider a balanced diet of fruits veg and proteins (if you haven't already) which may allow you to learn how to control binging habits. Fruits for example are still incredibly sweet so it poses the danger of triggering a binging session but if you manage to incorporate it into your diet and control the quantities you eat, you'll find that you have no more temptations to carry on eating and thus training your mind not to go crazy at sweet food. This at least worked for me anyway. You'll also find that the longer you stay away from foods such as chocolate, the easier it becomes to resist so again would suggest no cheat days but just make your diet interesting and balanced. If you want any suggestions from me because I used to binge eat pretty much daily (which originally started from a previous diet of complete inbalance in diet which I would just go crazy for sugary foods) feel free to add me and whenever you feel like binging or had a binge then I can try help you overcome the temptations or give advise you on preventing yourself from doing it again.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Man, I did the same kind of thing yesterday, was over my calorie budget by 1,500. Jumped on the scales today to assess the damage.... No difference.

Just keep on trucking!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Once, in the middle of a very successful weight loss program, I went to a Brazillian Steakhouse and had what I am certain was a several thousand calorie meat fest. The next day I pretended it didn't happen and forged ahead and all worked out well.

The key is not to overreact to one event.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I agree, I think it can lead to the idea that this is your last chance to eat those things, so you go absolutely nuts. Or once you eat more than planned you think you've ruined the day anyway, so might as well eat more.

IMO, that's the benefit to logging it--you realize that the first little bit really wouldn't have been a problem at all, and even the whole day's worth isn't going to set you back meaningfully if you don't do it regularly.

That said, OP, after the fact I probably wouldn't try to recreate (although for some this is helpful), but would just keep some notes for myself about it being an out of control high cal day and what was going on when it happened/whatever you can recall of what you were thinking.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, this has happened to me so many times! You just get sick of logging, and eating as much as you want of any food you want feels so good (while you are doing it). I felt disgusted after, and wanted to purge. But I didn't. The huge trick is to forgive yourself and go back to logging and eating at a deficit the next day. Otherwise...you gain the weight back. I know from experience! One day of falling off the wagon will not affect you in the long term unless you quit.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Bingo.

I eat everything, especially the delicacies I enjoy and fit them in within my daily calories intake. Stop demonizing them and embrace it all.