Perfect brown rice

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    @JoshuaMcAllister You're joking right, 45 minutes
    She clearly states it takes 45 minutes to cook brown rice on the stove, even going on to say that is the reason why people have trouble with it or don't like it? I don't know where she gets that claim.

Boil kettle, add to rice in pan
    Bring rice and water to boil without lid,
    Place lid on reduce heat simmer for 15/20 minutes

How you perform the next steps is up to you let it sit, rinse through a colander, add to fry veg, egg fry.

Its certainly not a minimum of 45 minutes each time.

If you are using real brown rice, not the instant kind, not the parboiled kind, not the frozen kind, it most certainly does take 45 minutes to cook properly, no matter whether it's the stovetop or the oven. As do steel cut oats. I have been a hairdresser for 23 years and talk to people all day long every day, that's part of how I know a lot of people don't care for brown rice when it's not cooed properly. That's how I make that "claim". cooking is my hobby, many people come to me for cooking advice. If you like how you do it in 20 minutes, by all means, eat it your way. If you have nothing beneficial to add here, why bother? Just to argue? No thanks. I know what I'm talking about. As you can see, others here who have tried this method, understand its superiority.

Ahhh..I see. So that's what this is all about.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You won't save time. When you cook rice, especially brown rice because it takes at least 45 minutes on the stove, you are cooking from the bottom only. A lot of times the bottom is overcooked and the top is undercooked. That's part of the reason a lot of people have trouble with or don't like brown rice. Plus the texture is better when cooking it in the oven. Cooking it in the oven ensures even cooking all around and comes out right every single time.

How is 45 minutes on the stove top not saving time over an hour in the oven? Plus, if I'm not cooking anything else in the oven, I don't want to waste all that energy and heat up my house to cook something that has always cooked perfectly for me on top of the stove for 40 years. If it's overcooked on the bottom and undercooked on the top, you're not using enough liquid, or you're not keeping the lid on it, or you're cooking at too high a temperature.

Boil water or stock in Corningware or similar oven- and stove-safe cookware with well-fitting lid. Add rice (and salt if desired). Stir once. Cover and turn heat to low--on a gas stove, I turn it pretty much as low as I can and not have the flame go out. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes. Do not lift lid while it is cooking (the glass lid typical of Corningware and similar products comes in handy here). Turn off heat. Let sit for a few minutes. Fluff and serve.

Or the pasta method works reasonably well (cook rice in lots of water and drain like pasta), and is a bit quicker on the cooking time, but I think you lose so much time bringing all that extra water to a boil that it's pretty much a wash. Plus I don't care for wasting water and energy (more water = more energy to heat it), but that's just me. And it's not like I don't waste the water and the energy most of the time when I cook pasta -- although I did read somewhere in the past few months about a method for cooking pasta in a lot less liquid, similar to cooking risotto, and I tried it, and it worked fine.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I never really liked brown rice, but maybe that's because I never cooked it right. It's been a long time since I've attempted to eat it...maybe it's time to try again! Thanks!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never knew people could get so testy over brown rice. :p
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use an electronic pressure cooker on most occasions for cooking rice. If not I just do it the traditional way and finish off with a tea towel underneath the lid. Seems to work for me. I agree that cooking proper wholemeal/brown rice from scratch (non of your pre-cooked stuff) does take 45 minutes. But if you time it right and not do it in a hurry it can turn out good with the tea towel under the lid method.
  • call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has been a staple of my diet for years never once has it taken me that long.

You are supposed bring the water to boil before adding the rice why would the water simmer?

I'm not disputing there are other methods of cooking just pointing out "at least 45 minutes" is not accurate when cooking on a stove.

I cook a lot of short grain brown rice and it does take a min of 45 minutes for me to cook. Brown basmati / long grain is faster but the shortgrain stuff takes ages to cook! Brown basmati rice often cooks in 25-30 minutes so I use that when I don;t have time ot wait for the shortgrain to cook (plus my kids prefer the basmati!)
    :)
  • call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP I'm going to try this as I often cook brown rice alongside other things in the oven so it saves having the hob on at the same time. I've oven cooked brown rice risotto but never thought about just doing plain brown rice.

What type of brown rice are your cooking times based on? I'm assuming shortgrain since you said it takes 45 on the hob?
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I cook brown rice when I am having chicken breast. I put the rice on bottom of dish, chicken breast on top , pour cream of chicken soup mixed with can of water pour over top, cover with foil and bake until chicken is done, about a hour. Sometimes I will put cheddar cheese over top last few minutes of cooking. DELICH!
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I cook brown rice when I am having chicken breast. I put the rice on bottom of dish, chicken breast on top , pour cream of chicken soup mixed with can of water pour over top, cover with foil and bake until chicken is done, about a hour. Sometimes I will put cheddar cheese over top last few minutes of cooking. DELICH!

I use uncle Bens minute brown rice.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @call3na .... so, I usually buy my brown rice at trader joes, either the basmati or the Jasmine. I was at BJs and they had a good size bag of organic brown rice and a coupon, so I bought that. Not sure i like it as much. It's just a long grain brown rice. I was actually just reading the back of it. It says to cook for 30 minutes. I never even looked at it because I have been cooking brown rice for so many years, I don't think about it. When looking online, I see places that say cook it for 45, no matter whether long or short grain. Interesting. I like how I cook it so I'll keep doing it that way but I may try this one with the 30 minutes to see what happens just out of curiosity. I love making rice and peas with it and the Goya pigeon peas, top it with blackened salmon and it's one of my favorites. Yum...

q1pfq9xrjrwl.jpeg

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    She clearly states it takes 45 minutes to cook brown rice on the stove, even going on to say that is the reason why people have trouble with it or don't like it? I don't know where she gets that claim.

How you perform the next steps is up to you let it sit, rinse through a colander, add to fry veg, egg fry.

If you are using real brown rice, not the instant kind, not the parboiled kind, not the frozen kind, it most certainly does take 45 minutes to cook properly, no matter whether it's the stovetop or the oven. As do steel cut oats. I have been a hairdresser for 23 years and talk to people all day long every day, that's part of how I know a lot of people don't care for brown rice when it's not cooed properly. That's how I make that "claim". cooking is my hobby, many people come to me for cooking advice. If you like how you do it in 20 minutes, by all means, eat it your way. If you have nothing beneficial to add here, why bother? Just to argue? No thanks. I know what I'm talking about. As you can see, others here who have tried this method, understand its superiority.

I can assure you I'm using real brown rice.

Sorry I was unaware you were a hairdresser and hence have the expertise to claim that it "most certainly takes 45 minutes on a stove"

I did have a point to make, it was that it is inaccurate to claim that brown rice takes 45 minutes to cook on a stove. I also did not say it only takes 20 minutes, if you had bothered reading my post as opposed to brushing past it because the "superiority" of your method has over mine.

My point was from the beginning, it does not have to take you 45 minutes cooking brown rice on a stove. It may be to your desired taste, but if i were to leave my long grain brown rice on the stove for 45 minutes I'd most likely be eating mushy rice. You are making bold and assertive statements of your opinion not fact.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Sorry I was unaware you were a hairdresser and hence have the expertise to claim that it "most certainly takes 45 minutes on a stove"

I did have a point to make, it was that it is inaccurate to claim that brown rice takes 45 minutes to cook on a stove. I also did not say it only takes 20 minutes, if you had bothered reading my post as opposed to brushing past it because the "superiority" of your method has over mine.

My point was from the beginning, it does not have to take you 45 minutes cooking brown rice on a stove. It may be to your desired taste, but if i were to leave my long grain brown rice on the stove for 45 minutes I'd most likely be eating mushy rice. You are making bold and assertive statements of your opinion not fact.

This thread literally makes me laugh out loud. Being a hairdresser was referring to the lots of people I help with cooking. I probably should've gone to culinary school, it is my second passion after doing hair. Even if you did the 30 minutes in the stovetop and then the 10 that you're supposed to let it sit in the pot and finish steaming, that's 40 minutes. The two of you pointing out that I used the word "superior", and saying it like I think I came up with this method and think it's my way that is superior, makes me laugh. This is a health and weight loss forum, there are a lot of people who have trouble with brown rice. I was simply giving them an option. Use it, don't use it, your choice but to accuse people of whatever, and try to lure them into an argument is stupid. Go read Alton Browns oven method and all the reviews. If you don't have trouble with the way you cook it, then cook it, eat it and be happy. For those that don't like the way they try to cook it, this is an option. Have a great day....☺️
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

This thread literally makes me laugh out loud. Being a hairdresser was referring to the lots of people I help with cooking. I probably should've gone to culinary school, it is my second passion after doing hair. Even if you did the 30 minutes in the stovetop and then the 10 that you're supposed to let it sit in the pot and finish steaming, that's 40 minutes. The two of you pointing out that I used the word "superior", and saying it like I think I came up with this method and think it's my way that is superior, makes me laugh. This is a health and weight loss forum, there are a lot of people who have trouble with brown rice. I was simply giving them an option. Use it, don't use it, your choice but to accuse people of whatever, and try to lure them into an argument is stupid. Go read Alton Browns oven method and all the reviews. If you don't have trouble with the way you cook it, then cook it, eat it and be happy. For those that don't like the way they try to cook it, this is an option. Have a great day....☺️

You obviously have kind of issue with having to be correct. I completely agree with you in the sense that the forum is here for sharing ideas and methods of cooking. However this thread is pretty counterproductive, there will be people come on this thread read your opinion on brown rice taking 45 minutes to cook as fact, then not try it for themselves because as you quote "that's part of the reason a lot of people have trouble with or don't like brown rice" I simply pointed out that it in fact does not necessarily take that long.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from because you have yet to actually quote from my statements, you're stating a different generic time each message.

Good day to you and enjoy your extra cooking time.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Try a variety of rices. I love black rice! Look in Whole Foods.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Basmati brown or basmati white rice is the best.

30 minutes in the oven tops, with perfectly even grains.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Brown rice takes a little more liquid and about twice as long to cook as white rice. I use a rice cooker because it's so easy and foolproof but have baked in the past. I like brown lots better than white now. Didn't use to.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Interesting. I never really liked brown rice, but maybe that's because I never cooked it right. It's been a long time since I've attempted to eat it...maybe it's time to try again! Thanks!

I also don't care for just brown rice, however with the right sauce it can be so good!

I just put it in the rice cooker and walk away. It's a great way to clean your kitchen or fit in a quick run 'while waiting'

This mango sauce is so freaken good mixed into brown rice, really any rice, I bet any grain! it's so good!
    http://www.bjs.com/sf-caribbean-mango-sauce-20-oz.product.3000000000000182003

I'll put chicken in the crock pot with this sauce, have that for dinner with rice, then pour the left over sauce on the left over rice and have with lunch the next day.

If you like Spicy the Pineapple Habanero from the same brand is also yummy.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Try a variety of rices. I love black rice! Look in Whole Foods.

Forbidden rice is my favorite! I buy it from our Asian supermarket.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like my brown rice done in the oven, but I never do just plain brown rice in the oven. I make the Thug Kitchen Spanish rice recipe frequently.

Ingredients:
    1/2 onion, chopped
    2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 jalapeno, minced
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    2 cups long-grain brown rice
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive
    1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
    1 cup corn kernels – frozen is fine
    1 cup green peas – frozen is fine
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 375F. Grab a 9×13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
    In a blender or food processor, combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, and tomato paste and let it run in the blender for about 30 seconds. Pour that into a medium saucepan, mix in the broth, and let it come to a simmer over medium heat.
    While the tomato mixture is heating up, spread the rice over the bottom of the baking dish and drizzle the oil and salt over the top.
    When the broth mixture is at a gentle simmer, pour it over the rice, stir it up so everything is mixed, then cover tightly with foil and put in the oven. Let this bake for 1 hour. Try not to check on it because every time you do you’ll be letting out precious steam and your rice will be undercooked. Just keep the oven at 375 and you’re all good.
    After 1 hour, pull out the baking dish and fluff the rice around with a fork so everything is mixed back in. If the rice isn’t all the way cooked, add another 1/4 cup broth or water, cover, and bake it for another 10 minutes or so. Fold in the corn, peas, lime juice and cilantro and mix well. Add a pinch more sea salt if you need it.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I follow instructions on packages so when the brown rice says boil then simmer for 45 minutes, then thats what I do. And most often it comes out hit or miss. I use covers, I watch the temps. I stir from time to time to ensure all rice gets sort of equal simmer time. I like the oven suggestion, but wouldn't do it as a stand alone dish- too much oven time for just a side. If I were cooking an oven meal, then halls ya. Ive been meaning to look into getting a rice cooker, though. I just don't know what's actually worth the investment.