Breakfast, is it ok to skip it?

13»

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Yes you can, as mentioned by everybody above.

But I just came here to say--- I don't understand how anybody in the world can skip breakfast! My best friend says she always feels kind of nauseated in the mornings and isn't hungry until around 1030 or 11. I literally wake up with my stomach growling every morning (no matter how close to bed I ate). I would be a terrible person to be around if I had to skip breakfast.

carry on!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Yes you can, as mentioned by everybody above.

But I just came here to say--- I don't understand how anybody in the world can skip breakfast! My best friend says she always feels kind of nauseated in the mornings and isn't hungry until around 1030 or 11. I literally wake up with my stomach growling every morning (no matter how close to bed I ate). I would be a terrible person to be around if I had to skip breakfast.

carry on!

I was like that when I was a kid, if i didn't eat breakfast I felt sick. I don't "eat" breakfast per sei, but i drink lots of cups of tea with milk, which fills me up with hundreds less calories than a breakfast meal.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you eat smaller meals more often, your body will have a more regulated metabolism, which is why it's recommended to people with diabetes. It's better for long term health. I guess the American Diabetes Association are just a bunch of "bros" though.

I must have missed the post where the OP mentioned she had diabetes.

People with cancer take chemotherapy drugs too, that doesn't mean it's better for long term health for people who don't have cancer.

Still waiting to see a link to a study proving the benefits of smaller, more frequent meals.

Ya taking chemo and eating small meals is not exactly the same thing though is it. However, it seems like it is a matter of preference, and eating several small meals helps some people to control their appetite, not their metabolism, which is only really crucial for those with diabetes, so ya, you're right. Spacing meals has helped me lose weight, and control my cravings, but not by affecting my metabolism. I've never been able to lose weight eating 3 meals per day cause I still feel just as hungry afterward, so I opt for smaller meals. Sorry for the smart @$$ comments, I guess I did get sucked into some bro science, mixed with some diabetes science. No hard feelings I hope.
  • Rozay2987
    Rozay2987 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I have about 6kg to lose to reach my goal weight and have already lost 4kg. I'm not looking for any quick fixes or to lose it fast. After all it took me ten years to gradually put on the ten kilos I want to lose.
    Anyway what I've been noticing is that I'm eating a small breakfast for the sake of eating breakfast. Most of the time I'm not actually feeling hungry. It's just that growing up hearing "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and it's a habit to eat something in the morning. Is it going to be detrimental to my overall health to skip breakfast on days when I don't feel hungry?

Hi there, I was just curious to see what everyone on here thought about skipping breakfast. I too, rarely hungry in the am usually a cup of coffee (or two!!) I've tried any and everything, my stomach just couldn't handle nothing more than my caffeine fix early in the am! Any-who, I've been seeing a Dr.(great Dr. BTW!) as she has scolded me for skipping breakfast. I've been extremely strict with my diet for over couple months along with light cardio( yes, just light cardio) and lost just under 20lbs.( in 2 months :( ) She claims 1. it's best to lose slowly and 2.it's me skipping meals, putting my body into sock slowing my metabolism. I've argued with her about my lack of hungry and she gently reminded me my desire to lose this weight... So with all that being said I've found KIND bars to be tasty and not to heavy full of protein! Just a thought I'd like to share!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you eat smaller meals more often, your body will have a more regulated metabolism, which is why it's recommended to people with diabetes. It's better for long term health. I guess the American Diabetes Association are just a bunch of "bros" though.

I must have missed the post where the OP mentioned she had diabetes.

People with cancer take chemotherapy drugs too, that doesn't mean it's better for long term health for people who don't have cancer.

Still waiting to see a link to a study proving the benefits of smaller, more frequent meals.

Ya taking chemo and eating small meals is not exactly the same thing though is it. However, it seems like it is a matter of preference, and eating several small meals helps some people to control their appetite, not their metabolism, which is only really crucial for those with diabetes, so ya, you're right. Spacing meals has helped me lose weight, and control my cravings, but not by affecting my metabolism. I've never been able to lose weight eating 3 meals per day cause I still feel just as hungry afterward, so I opt for smaller meals. Sorry for the smart @$$ comments, I guess I did get sucked into some bro science, mixed with some diabetes science. No hard feelings I hope.

I'm 100% on board with all of that. It is definitely a personal preference thing. Neither way is right or wrong, it's just that neither way is necessary or has any advantage over the other (absent medical conditions such as diabetes). Some people do better with multiple small meals, others do better with fewer large meals (I'm in the latter group). No hard feelings, at least you approach it with an open mind and are willing to learn! :)
  • freedsheila
    freedsheila Posts: 8 Member
    Personally I never ate breakfast! I chose to start since I've read that it jump starts the metabolism process. I'm over 50 and it has slowed for me over the years,making it harder to lose. If I skip I choose to skip a dinner. 23 lbs gone in 10 weeks
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Personally I never ate breakfast! I chose to start since I've read that it jump starts the metabolism process. I'm over 50 and it has slowed for me over the years,making it harder to lose. If I skip I choose to skip a dinner. 23 lbs gone in 10 weeks

That's more silly Dr. Oz/magazine woo. The metabolism is hard at work 24 hours a day and doesn't need a "jump start". Meal timing is irrelevant. If you're in a caloric deficit you lose weight, regardless of what time you eat or how many meals a day you eat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Meal timing is all about preference, losing weight is all about total calories consumed not about when we eat them :smile:
    I can't function without breakfast personally but each to their own :smile: