Sugar crash!!!!

Options
So I'm back on the diet come the morning... I'm excited... I feel crap and sluggish and just Urghhhh!

But in dreading the sugar crash... I know come 3pm when everyone else in the office rips opens the biscuits and tea - and I'm sitting there with headaches, tieredness and pure irritation that I can't have one! I'll either end up biting there hand off just for some sugar or there head for depriving me one for my own good!

Either way I need advise to curbe the sugar crash and headaches...✌

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Make them work into your calorie allotment for the day.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, you say you can't have sugar, which causes a sugar crash? Or eating the sugar causes a sugar crash and that's why you can't have sugar??
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    Eat something and fit it into your calorie goal. If you set your goal at 2 pounds a week, drop it to 1 or perhaps .5/week if your profile picture is current so you will have more calories to work with if you can't fit some sort of snack in at your current calorie goal.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why can't you have one and work it into your calories for the day?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating the ultra processed sugary treats, and keep your blood sugars level, and FUEL your body, after a few days there will be no crashes.

So, either eat the sugary snacks and count them, or wait it out.

I waited it out.
  • lucybarry2
    lucybarry2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can't have sugar... I'm doing a keto diet so come tomorrow afternoon if I stay strong... I'll almost definitely have a headache and tiredness which lasts for days until my body gets used to not having sugar!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I was getting a sugar crash daily and was drinking coffee in the afternoon for a pick me up. It was because my blood sugar was so low by lunch- I'm not a big breakfast person so by the time I would eat lunch my blood sugar would spike and then crash. I can usually cure this now by eating a banana or some other high fructose fruit mid morning- around 9:30 am and this has helped me tremendously.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lucybarry2 wrote: »
    I can't have sugar... I'm doing a keto diet so come tomorrow afternoon if I stay strong... I'll almost definitely have a headache and tiredness which lasts for days until my body gets used to not having sugar!

You're gonna need to have a paradigm shift. If you're sitting around thinking of your diet as what you "can't have" you're going to make yourself crazy.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

So eat something else?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keep carbs below 100 grams/day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You're gonna need to have a paradigm shift. If you're sitting around thinking of your diet as what you "can't have" you're going to make yourself crazy.

I agree with this. One reason why diets like keto and paleo work for many is that they reframe the change into a positive one -- you get to focus on eating in a new way rather than just not eating certain things.

I also agree with Sabine's prior point -- if you've been eating lots of highly processed carbs and other foods that make you feel an up and down in energy and a crash mid afternoon, you have to wait it out. Focusing on eating enough food and things like protein and sources of fat like nuts (I'd say greek yogurt also, and fruit, but that will be hard on keto) can help you have a more consistent energy level.

Maybe have a snack like nuts when others have what they have if it's a psychological thing of wanting to eat at that time of day because you feel left out. Just arrange the calories so you can.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

It's as much about losing salt / sodium from the body as anything. Increase your salt intake a couple of grams a day, drink broth / stock / bouillon drinks. Standard keto practice so often overlooked.