Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal

Options
MlleKelly
MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
edited March 2016 in Recipes
OMG YOU GUYS! I am stupid excited about breakfast this week. Allow me to introduce you to Brownie Batter Protein Overnight Oats...with a vegan option!

1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any low-fat milk of your choosing)
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (I used a container of Danon Light & Fit Greek 2x protein vanilla - the vegan option here is to use 1/2 cup mashed banana or pumpkin puree, which I will try when fall rolls around)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp of baking stevia or 1/4 cup of sweetener that measures like sugar (I used 1/4 cup brown sugar)
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup protein powder (I used two scoops of the Publix stores Greenwise brand)
1/2 tbsp cinnamon (optional)

Mix it all up, divide into 2 bowls/jars/tupperwares/etc and cover. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy in the AM cold or pop it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.

I doubled the recipe and split it FIVE ways and it came out to 226 calories per serving (4g fat, 33g carbs, 16g protein, 5g fiber, 9g sugars). Obviously, calories and nutrients will vary according to the ingredients you use, but still...it looks good! Since my protein powder is chocolate flavored, I did not increase the cocoa powder and since I used real brown sugar, I just used the one 1/4 cup of that. I'll let you know how it turned out in the morning, but I licked the spoon and I'm totes excited. :)

Recipe source: Foodie Girl Fitness on Facebook, who sourced it from DashingDish.

Replies

• MlleKelly
    Options
    SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!

It turned out a little soupy, but that can be easily fixed for the next time by either reducing the amount of almond milk or increasing the amount of oats.

You guys really need to try this! It kept me full past my mid-morning snack time, which is HUGE. I'm a teacher, so I chow down breakfast at about 6:45am and lunch isn't until 12:45, so by about 10am I'm usually ravenously hangry! I looked up today and was surprised to see that it was almost 11 and I wasn't even peckish! (Today is a teacher work day. No students were harmed or endangered by my hanger).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Heck I might try that for breakfast tomorrow.. lol. With steel cut oats. Thanks for sharing!

ETA: cut the recipe by half and only used 1/3 cup of almond milk, so we'll see. I added some vanilla extract because I used plain yogurt. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok yeah it doesn't taste like brownie batter. Still edible, obviously, but I guess it would be tastier with real sugar (I used Stevia) and sweetened yogurt... just don't want those empty calories in the morning.

Actually thinking I've made this before too and that yeah it didn't taste like brownie batter.. lol.
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Is this one serving?
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use 1/3 cup of oats, water, 2 oz milk, and whatever toppings to make one serving of oatmeal. I can't fathom eating a cup of oatmeal, cup of milk, and half cup of yogurt. Teach me your ways! Lol
  • Francl27
    Options
    I use 1/3 cup of oats, water, 2 oz milk, and whatever toppings to make one serving of oatmeal. I can't fathom eating a cup of oatmeal, cup of milk, and half cup of yogurt. Teach me your ways! Lol

Do you weigh your oats though? That might be the difference... I weigh mine to make sure I get a serving (40g).

The difference though is that it doesn't really need toppings, and it's the toppings that usually kill the calorie count on my oats. When I made these, it ended up being 250 calories or so. When I make regular oatmeal, it's often around 300 calories (sometimes 400+). I'm typically hungry at breakfast though and need way more than 200 calories to be satisfied for more than 2 hours.

Although I won't make these again. I much prefer just mixing a container of flavored Greek yogurt with one serving of oats and just adding 2 tbsp of milk.
  • MlleKelly
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The recipe I posted makes 2 servings, but I doubled all of the ingredients and split it five ways because it did seem like a lot. It was DELICIOUS all week and I'm making it again tomorrow to have next week.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I actually had this the other day- my husband found it-- and although it tasted delicious, it was quite soupy.
  • MlleKelly
    Options
    My first batch was soupy, so I cut the milk to 2/3 and it was much thicker. I also added another scoop of chocolate protein powder. I will probably do 3/4 cup of milk from now on...not soupy, but not super thick, either.