confused about cutting and bulking phases (not even sure if that's what they're called, tbh)

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
Nutshell: I'm wondering if weightlifting could be hampering my weight loss.

I have been eating in deficit for about six weeks with about 15ish pounds to lose. The objective for the weight loss is to take the stress off my joints to make the running more sustainable; running is my priority (and my therapy). I run about 15-20 miles per week. I really enjoy lifting and typically put in an hour or so three times a week doing full-body lifts and other random things. I am progressing slowly and enjoying it ... I do not want to give weightlifting up; however, I would be willing to do it if I knew I was in some kind of limited duration cut cycle and should focus for a few weeks exclusively on running. Could someone point me to or provide for me some advice?

I eat approx 1200 calories per day, occasionally eating back my extra calories. The scale hasn't moved much in these six weeks, and I am thinking that water retention may be at play. I am not seeking a quick fix and I don't cut corners. I really am just trying to get basic advice so I go about losing this weight in the most efficient way.

Not sure if I even asked my question properly. When a weightlifter goes into a cut phase to lose weight, is s/he still lifting?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, you lift while you cut or you risk losing what you earned.

Lifting weights does not inhibit fat loss in any way, so base your future gameplan off of that simple fact.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    So is the sole difference the amount of calories you are consuming? Do you risk injury during this time?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    So is the sole difference the amount of calories you are consuming? Do you risk injury during this time?

That's generally the biggest difference, yes. I'm not sure about your second question, there are injury risks no matter what you're doing. If anything I'd say risks are higher when bulking, due to increased weights/volume/frequency.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thank you!