Gluten free

Hi all
I have recently been having tests as I feel absolutely rubbish. I am always tired and have found out my iron count is low and I'm now anaemic..... I've also had tests for gluten wheat and dairy and found I'm allergic to gluten. Having more tests tomorrow for Crohn's disease. Can anyone recommend a gluten free diet that isn't just fish, chicken and veg??????

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Hi,

I am deathly allergic (as in have been in a ventilator after eating trace amounts accidentally) to wheat, barely, oat (even gf oat) and gluten. You have to be careful with cross contamination and look at packages carefully. In the US, something can be labeled certified gf if is tests under 220 ppm. That doesn't mean it doesn't contain trace amounts or wasn't cross contaminated.

The good news? There is so much we can eat. There are many companies that make gf alternatives. Schar is a great on and makes amazing pasta, bread, cookies, graham crackers etc. Udis makes bread, frozen meals (like lasagna, sweet potato ravioli), pizzas, muffins etc. just becareful though because some of udis products contain oat if that is an issue for you. Glutino makes pop tarts, pretzels, baking mixes, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Cup4cup, while exepensive, makes an amazing gf flour.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need suggestions on products.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Non gluten items include potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, butter nut squash, wild rice, beans, lentils, Rice Chex cereal.
    Check ingredients in snack food: the last time I checked the Midnight Dark Milky Way bar is gluten free.

Eat pork chops, grilled onions, and acorn or other squash or broccoli.
    Salmon with slivered almonds and Parmesan cheese crust.
    Taco salad.
    Chili.
    Shrimp and rice.
    Google low carb (no crust) pizza.
    Make sandwiches with no bread. Use Romaine or other lettuce for a wrap.
    Crustless cheese and egg pie tart,

• elphie754
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Non gluten items include potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, butter nut squash, wild rice, beans, lentils, Rice Chex cereal.
    Check ingredients in snack food: the last time I checked the Midnight Dark Milky Way bar is gluten free.

Taco salad.
    Chili.
    Shrimp and rice.

milky ways contain malted barley extract and therefore not gluten free.
  • RodaRose
    elphie754 wrote: »

Taco salad.
    Chili.
    Shrimp and rice.

Whoops. Thank you for that.

• elphie754

Taco salad.
    Chili.
    Shrimp and rice.

Lol no problem. Gluten containing ingredients can be easy to miss if you don't have to worry about them.

Op-also larabars are good.
  • RodaRose
    More "non-chicken" ideas:
    Bob's Red Mill makes a Gluten Free Buckweat hot cereal if you like hot cereal in the morning.
    Gluten free bacon.
    Quiona and beef stew.
  • elphie754
    Bob's Red Mill makes a Gluten Free Buckweat hot cereal if you like hot cereal in the morning.
    Gluten free bacon.
    Quiona and beef stew.

While buckwheat is gluten free, it very often is cross contaminated with wheat since it is typically grown as a rotational crop with wheat and/or transported with it. You would have to look into buckwheat that does not have a chance of cross contamination.

Not trying to dismiss all your ideas,bison sorry if it seems like I am.
  • katied1511
    katied1511 Posts: 6 Member
    I am lactose intolerant to so can't find a cheese in the UK I can eat! Thank you for the food ideas I'm defo going to try them :)
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Dove brand chocolate is GF, I believe.
    Beans. Curry. (Lots, but not all, Indian food is GF.)
    Instead of a bun/roll, make a lettuce wrap when you have hamburgers.
    There are some decent recipes out there for cauliflower pizza crusts; many commercial pizza places also offer GF pizza crusts (this will depend on the severity of your intolerance; because the entire facility is not GF, some people still have problems with cross-contamination).
    Stir fry (check the soy sauce to make sure it's GF).
    Eggs. GF protein powder.

Beware rice at Mexican restaurants! Sometimes the stock it's cooked in has been thickened with flour (I got very, very sick after eating at a restaurant before I knew this). Brown rice (or white rice, for that matter) cooked with water is fine. Tortilla chips are GF.

You're more than welcome to add me, if you'd like!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    katied1511 wrote: »
    I am lactose intolerant to so can't find a cheese in the UK I can eat! Thank you for the food ideas I'm defo going to try them :)

Tescos stock a lactose free mature cheddar(red packet). Plus some of them do a vegan sliced cheese that's pretty good. On top of that Philadelphia do a lactose free cream cheese.

My GF is gluten and lactose intolerant so I feel for you all having to work out what you can and can't eat.
  • shmeshica1
    shmeshica1 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm gluten and egg free. Have been for about two years now. It's an adjustment but it's definitely do able! I've found many foods and thankfully (and sadly) the amount of people celiac are increasing therefore increasing amount of food industries are making and certifying there foods as gluten free! Which is awesome.

Good luck with your journey and feel free to add me if you want to check out my diary full of gluten and egg free options. :smile:
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    I've been gluten free for two years; I find if I concentrate on fruits, veg and meat, and a small amount of "some" grains, I don't need to look for gluten free ideas. It was hard at first, but once I gave up on the idea of substituting things with other things, not only did I feel much better, but I rarely have symptoms anymore unless I eat something with 'hidden' gluten, or if I purposely allow myself to eat something I shouldn't (I call this my Gluten Russian Roulette, it's a terrible game to play with your belly, but as the time wears on, I play it less often.) Added bonus is the muffin top pretty much disappeared very quickly after cutting out wheat products.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member

Taco salad.
    Chili.
    Shrimp and rice.

Be SUPER careful with hot chocolate, or anything containing chocolate....I've made that mistake more than once, and regretted it terribly. Also gravies, anything seasonings...Also, here's a list of words used to hide gluten in food, watch for them when ingredient searching:

•Triticum vulgare (wheat)
    •Triticale (cross between wheat and rye)
    •Hordeum vulgare (barley)
    •Secale cereale (rye)
    •Triticum spelta (spelt, a form of wheat)
    •Wheat protein/hydrolyzed wheat protein
    •Wheat starch/hydrolyzed wheat starch
    •Wheat flour/bread flour/bleached flour
    •Bulgur (a form of wheat)
    •Malt (made from barley)
    •Couscous (made from wheat)
    •Farina (made from wheat)
    •Pasta (made from wheat unless otherwise indicated)
    •Seitan (made from wheat gluten and commonly used in vegetarian meals)
    •Wheat or barley grass (will be cross contaminated)
    •Wheat germ oil or extract (will be cross contaminated)

MAY contain gluten:
    •Vegetable protein/hydrolyzed vegetable protein (can come from wheat, corn or soy)
    •Modified starch/modified food starch (can come from several sources, including wheat)
    •Natural flavor/natural flavoring (can come from barley)
    •Artificial flavor/artificial flavoring (can come from barley)
    •Caramel color (now considered a safe ingredient, but if you're in doubt, check with the manufacturer)
    •Modified food starch
    •Hydrolyzed plant protein/HPP
    •Hydrolyzed vegetable protein/HVP
    •Seasonings
    •Flavorings
    •Vegetable starch
    •Dextrin and Maltodextrin (both sometimes made from wheat)

If you can, copy and paste this onto a document and stick on your fridge. When I was first starting out, it helped greatly to identify what to avoid when shopping!! Good luck!!
  • elphie754

Taco salad.
    Chili.
    Shrimp and rice.

Be SUPER careful with hot chocolate, or anything containing chocolate....I've made that mistake more than once, and regretted it terribly. Also gravies, anything seasonings...Also, here's a list of words used to hide gluten in food, watch for them when ingredient searching:

•Triticum vulgare (wheat)
    •Triticale (cross between wheat and rye)
    •Hordeum vulgare (barley)
    •Secale cereale (rye)
    •Triticum spelta (spelt, a form of wheat)
    •Wheat protein/hydrolyzed wheat protein
    •Wheat starch/hydrolyzed wheat starch
    •Wheat flour/bread flour/bleached flour
    •Bulgur (a form of wheat)
    •Malt (made from barley)
    •Couscous (made from wheat)
    •Farina (made from wheat)
    •Pasta (made from wheat unless otherwise indicated)
    •Seitan (made from wheat gluten and commonly used in vegetarian meals)
    •Wheat or barley grass (will be cross contaminated)
    •Wheat germ oil or extract (will be cross contaminated)

MAY contain gluten:
    •Vegetable protein/hydrolyzed vegetable protein (can come from wheat, corn or soy)
    •Modified starch/modified food starch (can come from several sources, including wheat)
    •Natural flavor/natural flavoring (can come from barley)
    •Artificial flavor/artificial flavoring (can come from barley)
    •Caramel color (now considered a safe ingredient, but if you're in doubt, check with the manufacturer)
    •Modified food starch
    •Hydrolyzed plant protein/HPP
    •Hydrolyzed vegetable protein/HVP
    •Seasonings
    •Flavorings
    •Vegetable starch
    •Dextrin and Maltodextrin (both sometimes made from wheat)

If you can, copy and paste this onto a document and stick on your fridge. When I was first starting out, it helped greatly to identify what to avoid when shopping!! Good luck!!

this is a huge one. I avoid any product that has this in its ingredients unless I have called them to verify they do not use anything I can react to.
  • katied1511
    Thank you! Really struggling some days I'm literally surviving on coffee
  • katied1511
    And I'm not really supposed to drink it
  • rebbitt
    rebbitt Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Katie
    My daughter is lactose intolerant and has Coeliac disease (an auto immune response to gluten, not an allergy) and I am gluten intolerant. The above suggestions of things to avoid are great! One area that has helped me find great tasting recipes for meals is the paleo diet. Whilst I don't subscribe to this way of eating completely it does cut out all grains, dairy and legumes so I know anything I choose is gluten and diary free. There is some really tasty stuff from against all grain, nom nom paleo and others!

Have you also been tested for Coeliac? It requires an endoscopy, but you MUST continue to eat gluten until all tests are complete.

You do get used to gluten free cooking, just give yourself time in the supermarket to check labels and then recheck! I've been buying peanut butter for a while and I checked the label and it now says may contain traces of gluten. Things can change! You can eat the same as you do today, but buying the replacement gluten free food is very expensive so I tend to make it myself.

Good luck with the switch. If you need any extra help just shout!
  • LemonBreeze
    LemonBreeze Posts: 4 Member
    Marksdailyapple.com is a great resource for those living with food sensitivities and living grain free. Gluten is one protein in grains that causes us trouble, but there are many others. Reading the success stories there you will see many people like you and get encouragement from their stories of how they improved their health and overcame food allergies and sensitivities. Good luck !
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Gluten free bacon.
    Quiona and beef stew.

What on earth is gluten free bacon? Bacon is meat, why could it contain a grain?