How often do you workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyday with a variety of MMA, dance, lifting, toning, running... an hour to two hours a day. Sunday is my light day, one morning class (boxing) for an hour.
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tai chi about 4 hours a week and walking or hiking 4-5 times a week.

I have been increasing it because I just feel so much better. I do take days off every week, and also if I feel physically drained. But I am getting better at finding the sweet spot between challenging myself and going too far.

Great thread, interesting and inspiring!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 days a week for 1-2 hours with mixture of cardio and weights. I'm wondering if this is enough . Thinking of adding a run or swim in 2 days a week and just having 1 rest day. What works for you?

No one has yet asked the question: "enough" for what? What are your goals? For general fitness, 4-8 hours a week, spread out over four days, is fine. If you have the time, you could do more.

I run every other day, more or less, about 20 miles per week total; cycle 2-3 days a week for anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours or more; cycle commute 6 miles (round trip) when the weather is good; and walk or hike at least a day or two every week. Sometimes that means active recovery rather than rest days, e.g. today I ran my run at an easy pace because my legs felt tired from running and hiking Saturday and cycling for a couple hours Sunday. I also do a short bodyweight strength routine every 3 days or so.

I do that because my goals include beating my 5K personal record in a race next month, being able to cycle a hilly century in August, and being able to spend the whole day on my feet when I'm on vacation or traveling. Hence a mix of running, cycling, and hiking/walking, at a mix of intensities (mostly easy or moderate), with bodyweight fitness to maintain a basic level of strength. I also try to do something most days, even if it's just a short walk, ride, or run, because it's a big stress reliever for me!
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. 1-1.5 hours.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a slacker compared to everyone else on this thread.

Monday = bootcamp 45 min
    Tu/W/Th = 50-60 min cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
    Friday = strength class 45 min

Weekends are very tough for me to find any time to fit in exercise because it's the only time I have with my son, so I want to be with him as much as possible. Plus when I drop him off on Sunday I'm usually completely wiped out from the time with him, so I have to rest.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Roller derby 2/3 times a week
    Wrestling 2 times a week
    Powerlifting and HIIT 2/3 times a week
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    BreefitnessBreef88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I try for 1 to 3 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week. Mixture of Turbo Jam and Hip Hop Abs. Both dvds are both cardio and strength training. I really want to get P90x though and start ASAP.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a slacker compared to everyone else on this thread.

Monday = bootcamp 45 min
    Tu/W/Th = 50-60 min cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
    Friday = strength class 45 min

Weekends are very tough for me to find any time to fit in exercise because it's the only time I have with my son, so I want to be with him as much as possible. Plus when I drop him off on Sunday I'm usually completely wiped out from the time with him, so I have to rest.

45-60 minutes 5 days a week is nothing to be ashamed of. I very rarely work out on the weekends either. For me it's part of the 'sustainability' I mentioned in my comment. I think doing something I can keep up with is far more important than trying to keep up with anyone else. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I workout every single day and have done for the past year with, I think, 2 days off. One day off had to do with a flight from LA to Sydney ... kind of lose a day there.

I can hardly imagine going a day without exercise. What a sad day that would be.

Weekdays are usually long, brisk walks + lots of flights of stairs + weights some days + evening bicycle rides occasionally.

Weekends are long, strenuous, often hilly bicycle rides ... like several hours each day. Plus walking sometimes.
  • sarahsullivan23
    sarahsullivan23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find 5 to 6 X a week works well for me.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I workout 4-6 days depending on my mood, work schedule, and how my body is feeling. I always take Sunday off.

Typically, pole is always Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Saturday
    Restorative/gentle yoga is Tuesday, Thursday

• scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    For weights, I lift on a schedule of 3 days straight, 1 day off.

For cardio, during these colder months I decided to do at least 45 minutes a day on the treadmill as a minimum but have done up to an hour and a half on some days.

Come summer, I'll probably be doing an hour and a half of biking during weekdays, and 2-3 hours during the weekend weather permitting.
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    lift 4x a week and don't put restrictions on cardio. I do it when I feel like it
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Swimming 3-5 days per week. PT once a week. Lifting 2-3 times per week. Kickboxing 2-3 times per week. Although when work/school demands get high, that decreases significantly.

It's such an individual thing.