Military diet, any results?

Options
So I was wondering:
Been seeing a lot about the military diet. I find it a tad intense but it's only for 3 days at a time, with a 4 day break between each time you want to do it. They say you lose 10 pounds in a week, and I don't know if I believe it.
Did anyone give it a try? Any results? Opinions?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

If you use the "search" function you will find several recent threads on the same subject.
    here is one from last week
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10349783/started-the-military-diet
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    No, and many on here consider the military diet a starvation diet. I really recommend reading the stickied threads and following MFP's suggested calorie goal instead of resorting to a crash starvation diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do the math. A pound of fat equals 3500 calories. The daily calorie need of an average woman is 2000 calories. Exercise may produce an additional 1000 calories, if she's really committed. To lose 10 pounds you will need a deficit of 35000 calories. Spread over a week, that would be a daily deficit of 5000 calories. That would mean not eating anything + intense exercise, every day, for a week.

Lots of people try it, and lose weight. The lower weight comes from less food in the system, of course, and comes back after you start eating normally again. Trouble is, it will be difficult to eat "normally" after starving yourself.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do the math. A pound of fat equals 3500 calories. The daily calorie need of an average woman is 2000 calories. Exercise may produce an additional 1000 calories, if she's really committed. To lose 10 pounds you will need a deficit of 35000 calories. Spread over a week, that would be a daily deficit of 5000 calories. That would mean not eating anything + intense exercise, every day, for a week.

Lots of people try it, and lose weight. The lower weight comes from less food in the system, of course, and comes back after you start eating normally again. Trouble is, it will be difficult to eat "normally" after starving yourself.

what?
    My maintance is 1600- and that INCLUDES 3 days of lifting and 10-15 hrs of dance- there is no way my exercise includes an extra 1000 calories A DAY of food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

what?
    My maintance is 1600- and that INCLUDES 3 days of lifting and 10-15 hrs of dance- there is no way my exercise includes an extra 1000 calories A DAY of food.

That sort of proves my point. OP, don't do this.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I was wondering:
    Been seeing a lot about the military diet. I find it a tad intense but it's only for 3 days at a time, with a 4 day break between each time you want to do it. They say you lose 10 pounds in a week, and I don't know if I believe it.
    Did anyone give it a try? Any results? Opinions?

10 pounds would be a 35,000 calorie deficit. Even if you ate nothing for 7 days, there is still no way you have a daily deficit of 5,000 calories.

This fad diet has been around for years....the name changes now and again. Don't do it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose 10 pounds in a week is by stepping on an IED.