MIRENA IUD: Negative impact on sex drive.

Options
I came across a discussion here when googling mirena sex deive loss. It was an old discussion so I thought I'd open a new one. I've basically copied and pasted my response to that discussion.

I got mine in October. I want this to work out so badly but I'm starting to think this is a failed experiment after all. I've always had painful periods but usually only 3 days of brutality and then a couple more as it cleared up. When I got it put in, the cramps I had for the three weeks following were almost unbearable. The first few days we utter torture - so bad I could barely move.

After a few weeks it started to get better and the cramping dampened. About a month and a half after insertion I got my first round of spotting (with mild cramping) which lasted about 2 weeks. About 2 weeks after that stopped it started again, this time lasting over 2 weeks. About 2 weeks off again and then it started again, lasting almost 3 weeks! A week and a half off and then spotting and cramping again for over 3 weeks. It was awful but I promised myself I'd give it 6 months to balance out. Because of the spotting and discomfort I didn't really even notice the loss of sex drive because I just chalked it up to physical discomfort and feeling gross all the time. And because the periods of non-spotting were so short I felt gross and didn't want my bf to perform oral, so when we did have sex and I couldn't get off I assumed it was because I needed oral for get me fully stimulated.

Well, now it's been about a month since I last spotted and it seems I've finally reached that magic time of no more periods. But I have no sex drive to speak of. Nothing he does seems to do anything for me even though it used to be fantastic. We haven't been having any relationship problems at all - if anything, we continue to grow closer together.

I've also noticed since the start that I'm much more emotional, but before I had chalked it up to being frustrated by the whole near constant spotting thing. Now that that had stopped, I don't have any other explanation for it. I think that perhaps if I can get my sex drive back that will solve my emotional issues.

I really don't want to have it removed. I want this to work out so badly. But I don't know how much longer I can take this.

Has anyone had this experience but had their sex drive balance out after a while?? Has anyone tried any herbal remedies or anything else to increase libido???

I should add that I've struggled with depression in the past and it is always a concern for me. I was on marvelon birth control pills for a few years without issue beginning about 10 years ago and then I had a doctor convince me to switch to Yaz. I got very emotional after that switch and cried constantly, which is very unlike me. Switched back again but remained horrible emotional. Went off the pills completely and balanced out after a few weeks. I haven't been on any birth control since then until I got the mirena in Oct.asex drive loss got a mirena IUD inserted in October. I want this to work out so badly but I'm starting to think this is a failed experiment after all. I've always had painful periods but usually only 3 days of brutality and then a couple more as it cleared up. When I got it put in, the cramps I had for the three weeks following were almost unbearable. The first few days we utter torture - so bad I could barely move.

After a few weeks it started to get better and the cramping dampened. About a month and a half after insertion I got my first round of spotting (with mild cramping) which lasted about 2 weeks. About 2 weeks after that stopped it started again, this time lasting over 2 weeks. About 2 weeks off again and then it started again, lasting almost 3 weeks! A week and a half off and then spotting and cramping again for over 3 weeks. It was awful but I promised myself I'd give it 6 months to balance out. Because of the spotting and discomfort I didn't really even notice the loss of sex drive because I just chalked it up to physical discomfort and feeling gross all the time. And because the periods of non-spotting were so short I felt gross and didn't want my bf to perform oral, so when we did have sex and I couldn't get off I assumed it was because I needed oral for get me fully stimulated.

Well, now it's been about a month since I last spotted and it seems I've finally reached that magic time of no more periods. But I have no sex drive to speak of. Nothing he does seems to do anything for me even though it used to be fantastic. We haven't been having any relationship problems at all - if anything, we continue to grow closer together.

I've also noticed since the start that I'm much more emotional, but before I had chalked it up to being frustrated by the whole near constant spotting thing. Now that that had stopped, I don't have any other explanation for it. I think that perhaps if I can get my sex drive back that will solve my emotional issues.

I really don't want to have it removed. I want this to work out so badly. But I don't know how much longer I can take this.

Has anyone had this experience but had their sex drive balance out after a while?? Has anyone tried any herbal remedies or anything else to increase libido???

ETA: I should add that I've struggled with depression in the past and it is always a concern for me. I was on marvelon birth control pills for a few years without issue beginning about 10 years ago and then I had a doctor convince me to switch to Yaz. I got very emotional after that switch and cried constantly, which is very unlike me. Switched back again but remained horrible emotional. Went off the pills completely and balanced out after a few weeks. I haven't been on any birth control since then until I got the mirena in Oct.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any negative side effects with Mirena. I absolutely loved it. I've suffered from depression most of my life and it didn't make it worse.

That being said, I had it taken out 3 years ago and switched to Ortho-tri-cyclen low a year ago. The pill caused significant issues for me and I ended up stopping it after 9 months. I think I may have gotten more sensitive to hormonal birth control, so I am afraid to go back to Mirena.

You may want to wait a few more months and then consider switching to a non-hormonal IUD. If I decide to use birth control again that will be my selection.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any negative side effects from Mirena. My period never stopped but I had little to no cramping and it was very light. I agree with @usmcmp that switching to a nonhormonal iud may be better. Or maybe a mild antidepressant. I have depression and bcp's are out of the question for me. I was going to go for the non-surgical sterilization but luckily my husband got the big V instead. We're in our 40's so no kids wanted.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had the Paragard (copper IUD) for 8 months. After the initial cramping I settled into a period of heavy but regular periods. Plus a constant feeling of pressure in my abdomen. It felt like there was a small weight sitting on my stomach which made me feel bloated and gross all of the time. (Which also made me completely lose interest in sex.) I had labs and ultrasounds to make sure I didn't have an infection and the IUD was still properly placed. Everything was fine. I finally made the decision to have it removed. My doctor pulled it out and I instantly felt a huge relief. That heavy feeling was gone. That feeling of grossness was gone. I felt 100% better. I wanted sex. My doctor said that was typical when she removed them for people who had this type of complaint.

You might be reacting more to the hormones in the Mirena but it also might be the IUD itself. Before considering a switch to the non-hormonal IUD I would read up on it. My recollection is that they're not exactly sure how it works but the theories are that the copper itself somehow affects your hormone levels.

I know it's tough when you want something to work (particularly something that hurts like @&!# to insert) so I wish you the best in figuring this out.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The copper doesn't impact hormones.

http://www.fpnsw.org.au/682847_8.html
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just got my Mirena replaced in December. This round was much more difficult than the first time I got it. I had terrible cramping, mood swings, was feeling irritable often and my sex drive substantially decreased.

I talked to my doctor after a month or so of symptoms and he said to come back if things got worse, but that it can take the body 3-6 months to adjust. I kept with it and am glad I did as it all balanced out a month ago - about 2 1/2 months after getting it replaced. Mood swings, cramping, and spotting have all subsided and my sex drive is back to where it was before.

I'm going to echo waiting a bit longer before switching to see if your body adjusts. I'm sorry you're going through this - I know how frustrating it is!
  • kumanekochan
    kumanekochan Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have had mirena for almost a year now. I had some major cramps the first day, but besides that, not much pain. In the first 2-3 periods, i did have like a scratchy sensation, sorta like the wire was rubbing me, but it went away with time. My periods are so light that I don't have even wear a pad anymore, which is wonderful for me. My cramps tend to be light, much more managable. I am however more 'wet' in general down there now, and a lot more monthly discharge happens. But to me, that's a relief because on oral BC, i was VERY dry, even when being intimate.
    I was on oral BC for almost 9 years before starting mirena, and I have to say at first, my crying/frustration levels were a little weirded out. but that was to be expected from changing to an oral to an IUD.
    Personally, my sex drive has improved. in the beginning, my wire was a little too long and my husband felt it when we had sex, but we learned to manage it. As mentioned before, I am naturally more wet, so sex isn't painful.

BUT! just because it works for me, doesn't mean it will work for you. I have had chronic depression and am on the max dosage of zoloft and abilify. You need to find a BC that works for both your body hormonally and physically. Talk to your Gyno about alternatives, voice your concerns. I can understand you wanting it to work, but you should be comfortable as much as you can be.
  • ecoforestry
    ecoforestry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am on Mirena, too. I have had my current one 4.5 years, needs to get replaced this summer. I had one between children 2 and 3 before that. Only kept that one a year before I was ready to try for another baby (which then took another year because of breastfeeding). I have had very little side-effects, if any. The main one is that I am pretty sensitive to the hormones and get NO cycle at all while the mirena is in. I like that side effect : )

I also have chronic depression, and am on Wellbutrin and zoloft daily to keep functional. Any libido side-effects I know are related to the depression and the medicines that treat it. I don't think the Mirena changed that.
    I have had a yo-yo ride with my weight since my last daughter was born 4.5 years ago. Lost weight easily while breastfeeding. Then gained (more than when I was pregnant!) back with a depressive episode that lasted several months. I just never care what I eat when I don't feel well. I eat junk when I feel like junk...

Lost that 60 lbs. with MFP and lots of hard work. Regained it again in less than a year when the depression came back.

I changed my depression medicine dosages, and am back to feeling well for the last month. I have dropped nearly 10 lbs. already just by getting back on MFP and being accountable to myself. I hope it stays gone this time!

• svts123
    svts123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I could have written the OP. I have been scouring the internet to see if anyone has had a similar experience to go avail - I am so glad you posted here.

When I think about the pain I felt after having had my IUD fitted I feel nauseous and anxious. I was in an out of three different hospitals for a week only to be told it was just 'settling in pains' that women experience to different degrees -mine were essentially mini contractions as the cervix got used to the foreign object being there. I had cramps for three months and occasionally get them now, 7 months on, if I do strenous abs workouts. I have had ultrasounds that show the IUD is in the correct place.

I have also been experiencing mood swings of a variety I have not experienced before! I can get very low and very anxious. I am experiencing a dip in my sex drive that I am really hoping will pass soon. My boyfriend lives in England and I live in France and it is gut wrenching to not feel in the mood even after a month apart - I am still so attracted to him and so in love with him, and as you say, this experience has brought us closer.

One final complaint is how spotty I am! I look worse than I did when I was 14.

So why am I perservering? The contraceptive injection affected my moods and periods very negatively, and implanon made me bleed for six months straight. I felt like I was PMSing the whole time. I gained weight as a result of constantly feeling like I needed to treat myself for being on my period! The one benefit of mirena is I was spotting very lightly and now *fingers crossed* have stopped having periods. I am waiting to see if the fabled settling down at 6ish months applies to my other symptoms before I get it removed because I'm not keen on experiencing the pain I had with having it put in again!

I'm so sorry this turned into a short essay on 'woe is me', but all aspects of my experience bar periods match yours and I have been feeling so isolated for a long time. I really hope things get better for you soon.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hated mirena. I really wanted it to work out, but it just didn't.
  • scriptie
    scriptie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena. Whether or not it's affected my libido is unknown as I am currently breastfeeding and breastfeeding itself lowers your libido.

I picked Mirena over paraguard because of the horrible cramps I have had since I first ever got my period, and everything I've read says Mirena helps and don't do paraguard in that case! I will say I have some experience with other long term birth control. I had depo provera for 9 months (you get an injection every 3 months), and it made me feel crazy and irrational. Mirena is a breeze compared to it... I feel like Mirena wouldn't have as much effect as some other BC because the hormones are mostly contained in that area. When it got put in though I will say it felt like I was in labor again for a couple hours afterwards...

I get spotting still quite a bit though, but atleast no pain anymore. Again it was the best option for me as any other BC was inconvenient or drastically changed my moods...