Square bum/butt/glutes tips needed please!!

Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    maca powder can be used to grow bum and boobs, I couldnt understand why mine were getting bigger until I researched the maca! and in my experience weighted squatting plus kick backs has transformed my rear end!

What? Maca powder? Nah.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/sexy-female-training

i'm not grokking that guy. i like the way britney spears looks in that 'body fat' shot that he thinks should be making me shudder and cover my eyes.

anyway, to the op's question. if you google a bit you should find pictures of muscular anatomy that will let you pick out which muscles would give you a more rounded shape if you had more of them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Brett Contreras Strong Curves

Without a doubt
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    maca powder can be used to grow bum and boobs, I couldnt understand why mine were getting bigger until I researched the maca! and in my experience weighted squatting plus kick backs has transformed my rear end!

What? Maca powder? Nah.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/sexy-female-training

I am not sure why you felt the need to discount my post, thanks for the fascinating link about "Britney Spears syndrome" I was merely giving my experience of the powder and its growing effects (reportedly maca affects the hormone system which is why butt and boobs can be effected). The OP wanted to grow her butt or for it to remain/ get rounder. I also added that weighted squats etc transformed (as in the shape) my own bum. I did not say eating maca gives you a magic new bum. That would be ridiculous. This place would be a lot nicer if people didn't feel the need to jump on people's posts or comments in this manner.

I recently heard this about maca powder to, shouldn't judge until you've tried it.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    deadlifts (especially straight leg), deep squats, lunges, and stair machine
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hiya, I'm new to this and I am about to start my work outs and diet for weight loss (arms, tummy, back and legs). I particularly wanted some help and tips on glute work outs.. I have a very square bum/butt, which is weird because from the side it is not flat all and I quite like the size of it, but from the back it just looks flat and the general shape of my butt is square and I have lots of cellulite on the tops of my legs. What specific work outs could help me get my butt more rounded and not so square? Or will it always have the square shape to it because of my build? I also want to try not to lose weight on it because then it will become flat! Please help :) thanks

Haven't read responses yet :)

I have a square bum and I had NOTHING...I'm also in my 40's.

The barbell hip thrust is your best friend. I started with just the bar 45 lbs and now I'm hip thrusting 195 lbs 5 months later. My bum is more round and higher. The upper glutes have more volume.

Square bums are hard to sculpt, but you can do it. Heavy heavy bar bell hip thrusts will really make things happen. Go to the Glute Guy Bret Contreras web site.

I can pm you pics of before and after if you want to see my changes?
  • serapel
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Take a few spin classes. Biking builds glutes.

not a square bum. it's really hard to sculpt. I have one. Heavy weights is the only way to really make a difference in this bum shape.
  • serapel
    Options
    Strong curves

This is Bret Contreras. He's AMAZING for glutes.
  • serapel
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lunges and squats will not work if your glutes are not firing and being activated. In some people, squats do nothing for the glutes. It just builds up the quads for some.

I know from experience and I have a square bum shape.

Bret Contreras goes into all of this. The thing that fires up and builds the glutes is the Bar Bell Hip Thrust. Thou must thrust.

Do this in combination of band work (side lying clams, monster walks, sumo walks) before your hip thrusts and then go on to the other stuff like squats and lunges.

An other great glute exercise is cable pull through where you just slam and fire up the glutes. I'm now doing 140 lbs on this one.

I have a flat square bum and totally feel your pain :smile: ooops...should say HAD a flat square bum and I still feel your pain ;)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats. Over and over and over and over again. Age was pulling my butt into my thighs. It is now getting back to its proper position LOL! Lunges and squats. Over and over and over again.

Add weight to these for the best results. Hip thrusts work even better

I second this. Plus hip thrusts.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    Lunges and squats will not work if your glutes are not firing and being activated. In some people, squats do nothing for the glutes. It just builds up the quads for some.

I know from experience and I have a square bum shape.

Bret Contreras goes into all of this. The thing that fires up and builds the glutes is the Bar Bell Hip Thrust. Thou must thrust.

Do this in combination of band work (side lying clams, monster walks, sumo walks) before your hip thrusts and then go on to the other stuff like squats and lunges.

An other great glute exercise is cable pull through where you just slam and fire up the glutes. I'm now doing 140 lbs on this one.

I have a flat square bum and totally feel your pain :smile: ooops...should say HAD a flat square bum and I still feel your pain ;)

I need to invest in bands. These sound awesome pre-heavy lifts
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have the square butt too :( I just call myself spongebob squarebutt. I'll be taking yall's advice for sure! I know old fashioned squats help the lower butt area but it's that upper butt that is basically nonexistent!
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    High- incline walking
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Ham-glute raises. Curse me and thank me later.
  • serapel
    Options
    KyleGrace8 wrote: »
    Bump. I have the square butt too :( I just call myself spongebob squarebutt. I'll be taking yall's advice for sure! I know old fashioned squats help the lower butt area but it's that upper butt that is basically nonexistent!

bar bell hip thrust....HEAVY