Coca Cola

Options
VeryKerri
VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
Well, I quit drinking soda (pop or whatever you call it in your area) about 5 weeks ago. I didn't consider myself an addict, but I had at least one 12 oz coke a day. Most days I had two or three plus a fountain drink at any restaurant I might go to that day. When I decided to lose weight, that was the first thing to go. I really missed it for about a week and then I just forgot about it. I started drinking water all the time and on some occations I would have tea with sweet n low, but mostly water.

Yesterday, I went out to dinner with my family and they chose Cici's pizza. If you don't have one of these in your area, it's a pizza buffett chain that is pretty good and pretty cheap. Not too much healthy on the menu though. Without any thought at all, I ordered a coke as my drink. He brought it back to the table and I took a drink. AAAGHGHG! I looked at him and said, this coke has gone bad! It is only sugar! So he took a drink and said, "no, that is what it's supposed to taste like and it tastes fine to me"

I felt like I was drinking syrup in a cup with ice!! I can not believe I drank that stuff for years!!!! I will not drink one again I assure you.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I switched to Diet Coke, but now I cant drink regular coke anymore its too sweet...
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Well, kind of. I can still drink pop and will drink it on occassion. But, I no longer crave it. I much prefer water or iced tea now. It took probably about the same time frame, 3-5 weeks and I was no longer wanting one everyday. Its a great thing!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I had the same reaction to regular Coke, too. I was a Mountain Dew freak before, at least 24oz. bottle a day. I almost want to buy one now just to see how different one tastes now.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :noway: Oh my gosh isn't it funny how our taste buds change when we eat healthy? Every once in a while I drink a diet soda but during the day at work it is all water! My different awful taste came in the form or donuts. I love donuts, pastries, breads etc. and hadn't eaten one in so long I can't remember. So the other night I had to stop for groceries for my mom and was starving so I thought I would grab a plain cake donut and eat it to abate my growling stomach. I was so disappointed in it, it just didn't hold the taste or appeal it used to, lesson learned! Now when I want a sweet fix I eat one of Atkins Caramel Nut Chew or Caramel Chocolate Nut Roll, they are amazing! :noway:
  • BbNuke
    BbNuke Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I drank Diet Coke for years - could not tolerate the sugar in regular coke, and thought it tasted "syrupy" as you said. Anyway, I never thought I would give up my diet coke, but after I stopped eating the things that I always had with it - it was easy to give up. I don't even miss it. Ever. I drink a lot of bottled diet green/black tea and Snapple now.
  • tiffenie
    tiffenie Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing! I haven't had that happen yet, but I would love for that to happen. I am going to admit it, I am addicted to soda! I have been doing really good this week. Guess what, Kerri, your story has made me not want to drink sodas! As of today, by bye! I know I can do this.
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I went from being a soda addict to realizing I was really a carbonation addict. So I started drinking flavored sparkling waters and then finally just switched to real water. Every time I have a sip of soda, I feel the same way as you!
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    A long time ago I switched to Diet Coke, but now I cant drink regular coke anymore its too sweet...

Me too (well, switched to diet pepsi)
  • ShastaAngel
    Options
    I can not stomache soda anymore either. I have to ask, tho... the server did not take that taste out of YOUR glass did he???? yuck!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a regular soft drink in years and the few times I do have a diet soda it's as a mixer.

My weakness is milk, V8 and Cyrstal Light Lemon.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No it was my husband that took a drink of my soda, not the server. Thank goodness!!!!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I went from being a soda addict to realizing I was really a carbonation addict. So I started drinking flavored sparkling waters and then finally just switched to real water. Every time I have a sip of soda, I feel the same way as you!
    Ditto!
  • texann
    texann Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh Kerri, I know you are right. I have to give it up totally as well. Well no time like the present. Buh Bye soda! Hello healthy water!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    :) Sometimes when I drink cokes I get that impression... and sometimes it tastes great! I think my body is still trying to figure out what I am doing to it! I was never a huge soda drinker either but I'd drink it all of the time at restaurants.

As for CiCi's... I usually load up on their salad bar. Some I've been too have started having broth-based soup as well, which is good. I usually opt for cheese pizza or veggie pizza (not sure of the nutrition because I haven't been in months, but years ago they were 3 Weight Watchers points, which is about 150 calories). Their taco pizza is good too, and lower calorie because of all of the fresh veggies. :)