Lose 1/2 a pound by tomorrow?

Options
I do MFP and weight watchers, and getting weighed weekly is my motivation seeing that number go down! I know my body and how it compares to the weight watchers scale, and it looks like I might not lose anything... I'm not asking for some unhealthy ways to lose some weight in the next 24 hours, but any small ideas?
I was going to wear lighter weight clothing, and I was thinking of drinking more water than usual, you pee out more than you take in right, so wouldn't drinking more water today help a tiny bit?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why tomorrow?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even the water won't necessarily help: You might not pee it out before weigh in if you are bloating for some reason.

There will even be weeks when you might do everything right and gain a half pound just because of bloating.

Remember, this is a long term program, a half pound this week really doesn't mean much in the long haul. Have you been following the program? That is what is going to show results six months from now, no matter what happens tomorrow.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just relax and trust the process. Eating disorders can often gain a foothold by perfectionist thinking such as feeling a need to lose a certain amount in a certain time-frame. Our bodies don't react quickly or on cue. Stay the course. If you lose, fine, if not, fine.

I don't place a lot of value on a daily fluctuation of weight - it's about the long game. Daily fluctuations of up to five pounds occur for a variety of reasons and giving them my attention can be crazy-making for me. It's not fat gain or loss, it's just a process. One day at a time I do the right thing and it all works out in the long term.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Some people work hard all week to lose 1/2lb. You wont lose a 1/2lb of fat in 24hr. So just eat light before your weigh in. If you go a week without a loss- just kick butt next week.
    Not every weigh in is a loss for every person.
    And remember the weight of the water youre drinking probably wont leave faster than you're drinking. Good luck though!
    edit* typo
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Little-Girl-Meme-Face-04.jpg
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be getting a bit obsessive. Chances are your weight might naturally fluctuate half a pound by tomorrow anyways. Watch your sodium intake, drink water, and weigh in the morning if you can (preferably after a BM). That's all I've got.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weigh once a week.

relax.

weight loss is not linear and normal fluctuations can be in any amount.

RELAX.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day so as not to get bothered about little fluctuations. I just pay attention to the overall trend.

x4z6piqipgsj.png
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I do weigh in once a week, and yes I am very obsessive over my weight! I know it's not always linear.., but most of the time mine is, and I hate when my weekly weigh in I'm up at all
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The problem with trying to ...finesse the number on the scale is that once you do something like wear lighter clothes or cut your hair to lose a half pound, what can you do next week to be sure to lose another half? Shave your head? Show up naked? Pretty soon everybody will be calling you Sinead and singing Nothing Compares 2U under their breaths when you walk into the room. Just chill out a bit and everything will be fine in the long run.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    I do weigh in once a week, and yes I am very obsessive over my weight! I know it's not always linear.., but most of the time mine is, and I hate when my weekly weigh in I'm up at all

Well, to me it sounds like you are worried that you aren't "doing it right" or that people might judge you for not losing weight or that you don't measure up in some way. When I start worrying about those types of things I can't find a lot of peace.

Why do you think you're obsessive about your weight? It's not a reflection on you as a person whether or not you lose or gain for a weekly weigh-in.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't do Weight Watchers anymore, and why I weigh daily. Water and other fluctuations, if they happen on the wrong day, make you think you haven't lost anything when you probably did, it's just masked by water retention.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    #2.
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    I

Well, to me it sounds like you are worried that you aren't "doing it right" or that people might judge you for not losing weight or that you don't measure up in some way. When I start worrying about those types of things I can't find a lot of peace.

Why do you think you're obsessive about your weight? It's not a reflection on you as a person whether or not you lose or gain for a weekly weigh-in.

I will judge myself, I've been doing what I'm supposed to as usual, but if I lose 1/2 a pound I'll be a weight I haven't been in 6 years! I would be so happy for that number on the scale... I just want that dang number this week! Does that kind of make sense? I know the number on the scale doesn't always reflect your hard work, but to see that number tomorrow would make me so happy! It would mean I worked off 6 years of bad eating
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I

I will judge myself, I've been doing what I'm supposed to as usual, but if I lose 1/2 a pound I'll be a weight I haven't been in 6 years! I would be so happy for that number on the scale... I just want that dang number this week! Does that kind of make sense? I know the number on the scale doesn't always reflect your hard work, but to see that number tomorrow would make me so happy! It would mean I worked off 6 years of bad eating

That makes some sense, and I understand those feels. When I was early-on in weight-loss I gave the scale way too much power over me. I lost about 70 pounds, but about halfway through I was weighing myself every day and entering every gram of food into an Excel spreadsheet with formulas and colors and all that. I was in a couple challenges at the gym and on here. It was too much! One day I accidentally spilled a pitcher of water on my digital scale and that was that. It was very good for me to lose that remaining 30-40 pounds without my scale and spreadsheet and structured weigh-ins. I was giving it way too much space in my head.

Good luck tomorrow. :)

• Lizzypb88
    Options
    I

That makes some sense, and I understand those feels. When I was early-on in weight-loss I gave the scale way too much power over me. I lost about 70 pounds, but about halfway through I was weighing myself every day and entering every gram of food into an Excel spreadsheet with formulas and colors and all that. I was in a couple challenges at the gym and on here. It was too much! One day I accidentally spilled a pitcher of water on my digital scale and that was that. It was very good for me to lose that remaining 30-40 pounds without my scale and spreadsheet and structured weigh-ins. I was giving it way too much space in my head.

Yea that sounds just like me... I usually weigh on my scale the day before I weigh in at weight weight watchers to get an idea of what it will be but then I obsess for the rest of the day... Maybe I'll talk to my hubby about hiding the scale from me if he sees me obsessing
  • samikirkby2016
    samikirkby2016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The problem with trying to ...finesse the number on the scale is that once you do something like wear lighter clothes or cut your hair to lose a half pound, what can you do next week to be sure to lose another half? Shave your head? Show up naked? Pretty soon everybody will be calling you Sinead and singing Nothing Compares 2U under their breaths when you walk into the room. Just chill out a bit and everything will be fine in the long run.

Love this!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

This ^^

Great post :D
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I

Yea that sounds just like me... I usually weigh on my scale the day before I weigh in at weight weight watchers to get an idea of what it will be but then I obsess for the rest of the day... Maybe I'll talk to my hubby about hiding the scale from me if he sees me obsessing

There's always the pitcher of water technique.

Seriously, give yourself a break. If it's affecting your thought processes then it's too much. I still manage my food nine years later, I've kept the weight off. The things I learned in the process were really important though. Like, the main thing I gained was good health. Any external thing that I am obsessing about is not good. I have to manage my thoughts the same way I manage my food. Give it two minutes of my day, and then get on with the important stuff. In the end, it's a number. Good job. You'll get there, exactly when you are supposed to get there.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options

So funny and true! This is why I'm the oddball that weighs myself at the end of the day. The whole "first thing in the morning, naked, after going to the bathroom" weight is basically false anyway. The weight I am at the end of the day is what I'm seen by others as and myself in the mirror. Might as well be honest.