Not getting enough calories

Options
13»

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If you aren't weighing all your food and you haven't lost weight then you probably eating more than you think you are.

Also, drop the diet pills, coffee does the same thing for way less.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned is that success at this is based on building the habits you're going to sustain for a lifetime. Better to start building those habits now vs later. Who is to say that after a month you're not quite happy with the results and keep going? Or that this has been so rough that you get discouraged and stop trying?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're overdoing the workouts? I do triathlon training and I workout only 30 to 90 min a day. It feels to me like you might be a bit to agressive with the loss, which could be tough to sustain over the long term.
    If I workout less than 1 hr a day and don't lose .5 in sweat I feel like a failure. I want this weight gone asap. I probably am overdoing it, but I figured I would only do that for the 1st month to get the scale moving down. Then I wanted to only do 1 hr a day 5 days a week, both cardio and weights.

Eating 1200 and ZERO exercise = weight loss for the vast majority of women. Senior and very petite ladies may lose more slowly.

I think your weekly weight loss expectations are unrealistically high if you "can't lose weight" with less than an hour workout everyday.

Fast weight loss doesn't support existing lean muscle mass, eating very low calories doesn't support existing lean muscle mass, not meeting protein goals doesn't support existing lean muscle mass. With fast weight loss only the scale looks good. Google skinny-fat.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    If you eat very little and are full, how did you get in the position to need to lose weight? You had to be eating more to gain weight. What/how were you eating before you came to MFP?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Well the last 2 years I ate whatever I wanted and never worked out. That's how I gained. But the past 3 or 4 weeks I decided to get my stuff together. I started working out. Started a change in my diet. Started diet pills to curb my hunger and also give me energy. I lost 10 pounds 3 or 4 weeks ago before joining mfp. Now I'm at a standstill. I do alot of strength training so I'm hoping it's just muscle I'm gaining because I do look slimmer and more toned.
    I am 5'7" and I weigh 217. Altho the scale has been going up the past 2 days due to all the sodium I had on the weekend.

+1 to what folks are saying about eliminating the diet pills, and focusing on eating a well rounded & healthy diet, including eating at/near your calorie goal, and eating back at least 50% (for starters) of your exercise calories.

And given the bolded remark above, please, please get enough protein. You won't build a lot of muscle in calorie deficit in any case, but the combination of extreme calorie restriction, inadequate protein, and heavy exercise can lead to actual loss of muscle tissue - and your heart is a muscle.

There's only so much fat your body is biochemically able to metabolize in a day. If you lose beyond that, you're risking muscle loss. If you strength train extensively, and don't eat enough protein, you will be fatigued.

People who are losing weight need extra protein. People who are weight training need extra protein. People who are doing both need extra extra protein. You need extra protein, not inadequate protein.

Meat is an excellent source - all the essential amino acids. Eat it! (But you can get enough protein without eating meat. I routinely get 100 grams a day as an ovo-lacto vegetarian.)

Please stay strong and healthy!