Calling all dudes! What's your daily calorie budget!

Options
What up guys! I'm back on the wagon and I wanted to see if anyone else's plan is anything like mine? Trying to lose 2 lbs a week and I want to eat 2000 calories and I'm between light and moderate activity with at least 10,000 steps a day. I'm 5'8 and 240.

Despite my calorie budget seeming totally reasonable, I feel like I'm in the minority that has a budget this high. Even guys way bigger than me I see all the time talking about how they eat 1500 a day or whatever. Would be nice to see some fellas doing it similar to me

Replies

• bigcle82
    bigcle82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Currently Im at 2200 a day and still losing 1-2 lbs a week. Im not sure about 1500. Some days, Im around 1800 but mostly 2000-2200. Some days i try not to eat back calories burned from workout but somedays are tough because i get a great workout in and Im hungry but when i do eat my calories burned from excercise i dont eat all of them. Currently I weigh 256 and 6'3"
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Currently Im at 2200 a day and still losing 1-2 lbs a week. Im not sure about 1500. Some days, Im around 1800 but mostly 2000-2200. Some days i try not to eat back calories burned from workout but somedays are tough because i get a great workout in and Im hungry but when i do eat my calories burned from excercise i dont eat all of them. Currently I weigh 256 and 6'3"

Same calorie range , during the cutting phase i stay around 2000-2600 ... calorie and carb cycle aswel . sundays i generally push calories 3000+ and still dropping the pounds
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I generally eat between 1700 and 2200.

I was originally on 1580. That's just not enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but your numbers seem fine.

just bare in mind that 2lb a week wont always be an achievable amount, as you get closer to goal you need a smaller deficit.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2lbs a week. Eating between 1800-2200 calories a day. Losing at a good rate.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I generally eat about 2000-2250, but I have my diary set to 1,880 as that is my BMR and minimum I'm looking to get to each day. This week I'm actually experimenting with not logging at all but my diary last week shows my picture quite well, basically eat clean to whatever upper limit I feel my body needs..... and lose weight and most importantly inches added in the right place and removed form the right places too inline with the strength training I'm trying :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I am not actively dieting at the moment but whenever I need to drop some fat I use somewhere in the region of 1,800 - 2000 calories per day. This equates to about 1 - 1.5lbs per week for me.

I have tried 1,500 (actually as low as 1,300 before I started losing my freakin' mind) in my 20s and it did work to get me ripped but I was also damn miserable.

Guess it depends what you want but for you 2000 cals (if not a bit more) sounds eminently sensible given your stats.
  • LarryLaird
    LarryLaird Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I'm going down the same path...6'0'' 330#... shooting for 2# a week, 2'150 cal. a day.
  • wiserebel
    wiserebel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Between 1,960 and 2300 at the minute, I walk around 3/4 miles a day and run every other day.

I started out on 1600 and have slowly been increasing it over the past few months, it works out at about 0.5 - 1lbs per week
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'8 also. I think 2000 is pretty sensible. Lower and you will lose more lean muscle mass. I'd try and build in some strength training as well as the walking if it's not already part of your routine. I also wouldnt sweat the scale too much, a 1/2 or 1lb loss is probably better than 2lbs anyway in the long run. Good luck.
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Greetings,

My set goal is fifteen hundred but most days I have trouble reaching that if I eat clean. Six feet two inches tall. Two hundred and thirty ish pounds. Need to lose those last thirty ish pounds. Down from three hundred and thirty plus pounds not this last January but the January previously.

I run low intensity steady state MWF for upwards of three miles, and high intensity interval TThSa. I do body weight conditioning M through Sa. I also work on my feet for half of my shift everyday.

I eat primaly so eating a lot of calories is difficult. For example I have a BA Salad with lettuce, spinach, onions, cucumbers, hard boiled eggs, etc., and an eight ounce steak for dinner and will not even reach five hundred calories for the whole meal. When you cut out the grain, the sugar, and all the processed empty calories most meals are a lot less than you'd think.

When I stick to the plan I lose between three and eight pounds a week. I eat anywhere from .8g to 1.3g of protein per kg of lbm daily and am building some serious muscle even at this deficit. I'm stronger, leaner, faster and fitter than ever before.

Edited to add exercise.
  • BigJ1966
    BigJ1966 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm on 1560 cals a day and working hard in the gym. I'm a hungry guy and like my food but I've found that I'm managing fine at that level. there again I'm only looking to lose a few pounds and maintain my weight but alter the lean muscle/body fat ratio. If i do go over, like last night when i had takeaway and a bottle of vino then I don't lose any sleep over it.

Good luck whatever you do.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1,800 - 2,000. 6'0, 216 Ibs.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    6 feet 188 here and my budget is 2000 to 2200, can be a bit more if I have a long run that day.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft5 so I am at the tall end of the spectrum.

Lowest I went was 1950 cals a day, but I had no energy. My goal is set to maintence on MFP at 3000 cals (this includes my exercise activity) and I eat a few hundred cals under that most days. 2300 is a vigorous cut for me at 205lbs.
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    upper limit is about 1800 a day for me atm.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and it's 2500 a day based on -20% TDEE. I do full body strength training 3 days a week using sandbags and suspension trainers, and for cardio I do jump rope whenever I feel like it--not following a specific schedule with the jump rope.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 1800-2200 and I lose an average of two a week.I am 5'11 and currently 187. I do exercise a lot though, like 20 miles a day (everyday) walking plus whatever I do at the gym 5 days a week.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    I am doing 1500, BUT I'm also a small guy. I'm under 5'5" and was about 130 lbs when I started this. As of recently, I'm not that active either since my medication makes me feel constantly tired. :/
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    with exercise I eat almost 3000 a day.. just in maintenance mode though not trying to lose.
    You can look at my diary but its filled with carbs.