Do I have to eat 1800 even?

Options

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Goal seems reasonable for your height.
    Are you willing to open your diary so folks can have a look-see and make some suggestions? It really does help.
  • sonyakmiec
    sonyakmiec Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Opened it up-have a look!
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your calories are probably too high for your activity level, height, weight. Drop them moderately to 1600
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That goal is what you're trying to eat under. Keep in mind, the more you workout the more muscle you'll gain. Muscle weighs more than fat. You'll lose inches before weight. Stay under 1800 calories by the end of the day. It takes time to see results. Especially if you're already somewhat skinny.

Besides the highlighted statement, the other stuff is wrong, and wrong.... Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat 1lb of anything is equal to 1lb of anything. the appearance is leaner so can potentially look smaller but weigh exactly the same, or even more. Not everyone loses inches first and 1800 calories is the deficit set up by MFP based on your goals. If you maintain what they are telling you, you will lose.

Soooo...it sounds like you are overestimating the calories you think you are burning or you are underestimatng the calories you are consuming.

Exercise has little to do with weight loss...Calories In/Calories Out is what matters most.
  • sanfromny
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Also you mentioned that you've only been back calorie counting for a week so imo you're starting new which means you haven't given it time. I say relax, have a drink when you want it, stay within your 1800 net, and update at the end of the month
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,245 Member
    Options
    Based on your numbers 1800 should be working. I would agree that dropping your calories a couple of hundred might be a good approach if others don't find issues in your logging.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    OP, you said you just started logging here this week. So give it a couple more weeks before changing anything. Use the food scale for everything except liquids, log every bite, to get a good idea of where you are. 1,800 is what you are supposed to eat. There is no good reason to eat as low as 1,200 calories, and unless you are super short and sedentary, you would be starving eating that little. So really commit to logging for a couple more weeks and see what happens. Good luck!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nevermind ... question was answered upthread so my comment no longer applies.
  • CountessOCandy
    CountessOCandy Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi there, I'm also 5'9", 42 and weigh 191. MFP gives me 1510 cals at sedentary to lose 1lb a week. I exercise and eat those cals back, so I net very close to that 1510 every day (usually a little under) and am losing at a rate of 1.27 lbs a week (based on 10 weeks of tracking).
  • hko718
    Options
    Hi there, I'm also 5'9", 42 and weigh 191. MFP gives me 1510 cals at sedentary to lose 1lb a week. I exercise and eat those cals back, so I net very close to that 1510 every day (usually a little under) and am losing at a rate of 1.27 lbs a week (based on 10 weeks of tracking).

1.27 is a good loss rate per week. carry on
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    Thanks everybody, really! I can't tell you how much I appreciate each of you taking the time to respond to me. I've never had much luck finding support on community boards! I think there's a meme floating around that says something to the effect that "I don't always diet, but when I do, I expect instant results." Although unrealistic, there is some truth to that! I've been at it for most of my life-I've lost 150 twice in my lifetime...no lie. But as I age, my old meal plans don't seam to be working. I'm sure it's a combination of things of things I'm doing wrong, that used to work when I was younger? I don't know. I just know the intention and the effort is there, so I need to see some results somewhere, somehow!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Hello there. Your diary looks good so taking into account your background, it seems that you just need to continue what you're doing for a coupke more weeks and be patient. From your story of the fluctuations of 5 lbs, it sounds like you were probably eating at maintenance before you started tracking again. I know when I'm maintaining I can flux between 5-10 lbs depending on my weekend shenanigans. Hang in there and good luck.
  • CountessOCandy
    Options
    hko718 wrote: »

1.27 is a good loss rate per week. carry on

Thank you :) I just wanted to let the OP know since our stats are similar that I am not able to lose a pound a week eating 1800 cals a day.
  • sonyakmiec
    edited March 2016
    Options

Not sure if I'm replying to you specifically, but thank you! I feel encouraged! I'll reduce my calories to 1500 and see what happens. Do you eat back your calories too after you work out?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    sonyakmiec wrote: »
    Thanks everybody, really! I can't tell you how much I appreciate each of you taking the time to respond to me. I've never had much luck finding support on community boards! I think there's a meme floating around that says something to the effect that "I don't always diet, but when I do, I expect instant results." Although unrealistic, there is some truth to that! I've been at it for most of my life-I've lost 150 twice in my lifetime...no lie. But as I age, my old meal plans don't seam to be working. I'm sure it's a combination of things of things I'm doing wrong, that used to work when I was younger? I don't know. I just know the intention and the effort is there, so I need to see some results somewhere, somehow!

Get a food scale and be prepared to be shocked.
  • sanfromny
    Options
    I'm sure it's a combination of things of things I'm doing wrong, that used to work when I was younger?

I wouldn't say wrong but what you were able to do 20yrs ago or even 10 years ago is not the same. Stick to the process. I'm a wife, and mother and about to turn 40 so believe me when I say I know the changes!!
  • CountessOCandy
    edited March 2016
    Options

Not sure if I'm replying to you specifically, but thank you! I feel encouraged! I reduce my calories to 1500 and see what happens. Do you eat back your calories too after you work out?

No problem :) Yes, I eat back my exercise calories. I know others have had issues with the calorie count MFP gives them, but it's been pretty accurate for me.
    I hope you don't mind, I snuck a peak at your diary. I just want to make sure you're weighing your nut butters. I found that when I was measuring 1 tbsp instead of weighing 15 grams I was being too generous :(
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    I do measure one tablespoon! I think the peanut butter might be the only thing I'm mis-weighing? Could that really be messing me up that bad though? I suppose! I'll get a scale.
  • hko718
    Options
    I do measure one tablespoon! I think the peanut butter might be the only thing I'm mis-weighing? Could that really be messing me up that bad though? I suppose! I'll get a scale.

PB is one of the hardest things to weigh. If you're just eyeballing it you're probably off.
  • CountessOCandy
    Options
    Yeah, a scale is a really good thing to invest in. It was a real eye opener for me once I started weighing everything. Good luck!