What should I set my weekly goal at?

Options
I am new to MFP, have about 150 lbs to hit my goal, and set my weekly goal for 2lbs a week but find I am hungry a lot. I was wondering if I should change my goal to 1.5lbs, or 1lb a week? I chose 2lbs a week so I can lose a little quicker, but now am rethinking it. Any advice?

Replies

• hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would change it to 1.5. 1lb+ per week is great progress and you'll have weeks where you have a whoosh and lose more.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I would set it at 1. It took a while to gain and it will take a while to lose. There is no reason you have to be hungry all the time. Another bit of advice is to look at what you are eating throughout the day. It does all boil down to eating at a deficit, but some foods will keep you fuller and leave you more satisfied than others. That helps when you have a fairly low calorie goal.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    set it at 1lb but start walking 15-30 minutes a day.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You get a little bit more to eat back with your exercise calories at least! We can't see your diary, but some of what @kgirlhart said about eating certain foods that help you feel fuller longer is really true. For me it's proteins and fats, others it's fiber, and sometimes I know I need more water. Try it at the 1lb, if you find it sustainable for a few weeks, think about bumping it up to 1.5lb and see how it goes.
    I don't know if you're like me, but a lot of the 'feeling hungry' was about my expectations to feel full after every meal, which was actually a sign of overeating, and eating at good (but significantly smaller) portions I've had an ongoing struggle with recognizing actual hunger.