Any beginner womens weight training guide out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    Im going to start with Jamie - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html and will read the NRFWL laters

I wouldn't go with that one if I were you. Seems like a whole lot of glitz and glamor. I just started downloading NRLFW for my girlfriend; I am trying to convince her she needs to strength train!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    As someone who's never been overweight, I think it is a bad idea not to weigh oneself at least once a week. If what you're doing is ineffective you'll be three weeks further behind.

I also disagree with the idea of automatically raising one's calories. If you haven't been losing weight it's more likely that you're eating too much and probably more than 1200 calories. A strength training program is a good part of a fitness program, but a woman starting out does not require massive amounts of extra calories. If you're hungry, eat a little more, but be conservative.

I don't understand why you're always trying to advise people who are looking to lose weight and strength train when you say repeatedly that you've never been overweight. From your previous posts all over various lifting threads here, it's pretty clear you aren't experienced in strength training, either....?

I'm trying to give my perspective. First, I don't have the experience of having been 200 pounds; second, the fact that I have maintained my weight is meaningful. I am knowledgeable about strength training; I may have a different view than you do. Some of my advice is directed at women with specific goals. I keep seeing others repeat the same old answers that in my view and experience are not true.

Many people do find it helpful to hear from someone who had figured out how to maintain her weight. I'm also short and petite and many times the advice provided in the forum is not relevant, in fact ,it would cause women like me to gain weight.

Sometimes my advice is based on anecdotal evidence, but that's because there aren't any researchers doing clinical, double-blind studies on the particular issues I'm talking about. But I know from my own experience that if I exercised a certain way I would become squat and I recognize the body type that has a propensity for this. I've also cited articles about the training of women who are interested in attaining a certain look and there's no reason for a trainer to lie. If someone who makes his or her living from training models and actresses says that s/he never has them use weights on their lower bodies if they're the least bit hippy because they'll get bigger, why would anyone doubt that?

Too many people here who actually haven't had a lot of successful experience with weight loss and exercise are all too happy to jump in with their recently acquired knowledge and lecture. They don't even understand that the current more bulked-up look is a trend and a preference, which you can emulate or not, but if someone is concerned about getting bigger she should have a choice. They also don't take the time to read my posts. My suggestions are usually directed towards a particular body type when someone asks about the possible effects. I understand that people have different goals and needs. Unfortunately, some on MFP think that everyone is the same.

Don't get me started on the people who rattle on about starvation mode and don't understand that 1200 calories is not a lot of calories but is nowhere near a Very Low Calorie Diet. Or the people who think it matters when you eat, or how many times a day you eat, or who think that fasting in a moderate manner is bad for you...
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I use stronglifts 5 x 5 (www.stronglifts.com) the workout program and info is all free and even has excel spreadsheets along with apps that help with tracking progress.

It is exactly what you were asking for, it has only 5 exercises that work your entire body, are easy to master, and progress at a steady rate by increasing the weight during each workout :) You do 3 exercises 3 times per week and alternate between 2 workouts each workout day.

Workout A: barbell squats, bench press, bent over rows
    Workout B: barbell squats, overhead press, and deadlifts
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women changed my life without a word of a lie. I love it as a start and then I move to 5x5 on my strength training days
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Whatever lifting routine you ultimately choose, make sure you commit to it.

Give it 4-6 months. Keep upping the weights, dial in your nutrition and be a badass.

Don't pick an established routine and give up before it has a chance to really kick in.