Just had a baby

Looking for other mummies who have just had babies and are trying to become fitter / healthier. I have a two year old and an 8 day old

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Awwww busy mommy, several weeks of rest are the Rx. Such a sweet time! Mommies are beautiful.
  • PunksterRachel
    PunksterRachel Posts: 14 Member
    8 day's awe. Rest up and heal, I'd suggest eating healthy for now, but slowly ease into to exercising.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    8 days? I'd be resting up and taking care of the baby right now instead of trying to lose weight. Your body just went through some MAJOR changes and it's going to take some time to heal.
  • Shumac17
    Shumac17 Posts: 2 Member
    I have a 9 weeks old & looking for moms too! Let's do it!!
  • charly726
    charly726 Posts: 3 Member
    I have a 9 week old too and am desperate to loose baby weight , needs ads for more motivation !!!
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Congratulations!
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Awwww busy mommy, several weeks of rest are the Rx. Such a sweet time! Mommies are beautiful.

congrats and exactly what she said!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited March 2016
    Congratulations! Are you nursing? You should really wait for the ok from your medical professional to start worrying about weight loss. Eat healthfully, and enjoy your newborn. Your body just went through a lot of changes and your hormones are all over the place. The hormone relaxin, that caused your hips to widen for delivery, had an impact on ALL your joints, and you need to let it normalize. Heavy exercise can cause permanent damage to your hips and knees. Also, your internal organs are all loosey goosey. A friend of mine didn't believe she needed to wait 6 weeks because she was super healthy and fit her whole life and pregnancy. She went on a 5 mile run at 10 days postpartum, and peed her pants.
  • megmo1985
    megmo1985 Posts: 127 Member
    Congratulations! Are you nursing? You should really wait for the ok from your medical professional to start worrying about weight loss. Eat healthfully, and enjoy your newborn. Your body just went through a lot of changes and your hormones are all over the place. The hormone relaxin, that caused your hips to widen for delivery, had an impact on ALL your joints, and you need to let it normalize. Heavy exercise can cause permanent damage to your hips and knees. Also, your internal organs are all loosey goosey. A friend of mine didn't believe she needed to wait 6 weeks because she was super healthy and fit her whole life and pregnancy. She went on a 5 mile run at 10 days postpartum, and peed her pants.

This. She is right on. Depending on if you had a c-section or vaginal birth depends on when you should start high intensity excising again. Enjoy your sweet new baby and recover. Try to eat as healthy as you can and depending on if you are nursing or not be careful with a restrictive calorie count. I wasn't counting calories with my first but wasn't eating enough while nursing because i was adjusting to a new lifestyle and passed out in the shower. Also, maybe start with small walks. The weather is starting to change and it's so nice for you and your baby to get some fresh air! Just don't overdue and give yourself time to heal. The baby weight will start to come off in know time but you've already put your body through a great deal.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    I agree with the others. Wait for your 6 week check before you eat at a deficit or try to do anything more strenuous than walking! Your body has been through a lot the last 9 months, and it needs the time to recover. That is even more important if you are breastfeeding! For my last two babies, I made a rule of not even stepping on the scale for the first 6 weeks, because a lot of the extra fluid, increased blood volume, increased size of uterus, etc, is still coming off, and I knew I wouldn't have any sort of accurate idea of where I was anyway.

In the mean time, work on building the habits of eating mostly nutrient dense foods. It's okay to log if you want to, but make sure you are at maintenance level! Take enough time for you to get rested up. Then, once you're cleared by your doctor, you can start making the small changes that will move you in the direction you want to go.