average measurements

I've hit my goal range, and am happy with my weight and the way I look for the most part. The only problem I've encountered is insecurity with the size of my butt. I am unable to tell whether it's an average size or not and this causes me great distress. I'd like to know what other people's measurements are so that I know if I'm just letting my insecurities lie to me. I have a 25" waist and a 36" hip. Please share, or give me feedback!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    That sounds a good proportion to me, but I have no context.
    Height, weight, bust all play a part.
    A photo may help too.

Cheers, h.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I'm 34-26-36. I'm a pear, always will be. I lift weights and built up my shoulders and I look much more balanced, now.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Your stats sound just fine.
    I'm 5ft 2 - 32-26.5-35.5
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    37-28-38.5 here. And my hip measurement is "all butt." I have slim hips. I look like a straight column shape from the front, all booty from the rear. I worked hard to build my back and shoulders to create an hourglass, more balanced (for my body) shape.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I have the same exact measurements.
    25 waist and 36 hips. I've always been bottom heavy and I don't expect that to completely go away. I think lifting weights is changing the shape of my butt however. I'm making peace with it.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Wow, 25" waist and 36" hip measurement sounds fantastic!

Really what I want is 35"-27 or 28"-36", my waist doesn't go very small, there are ribs and hipbones in the way.

I am 5'9" and about 35-29-37, and look slim.

Not sure how tall you are, but I have always considered 36-37" hips ideal. Mine can go down to 35 when I am skinny but it doesn't look better.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    If you are worried about your butt, start lifting heavy weights on a barbell! Squats, lunges, deadlifts... who cares what size it is if it is round and awesome?!
  • zenakerby
    zenakerby Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    zenakerby wrote: »
    I've hit my goal range, and am happy with my weight and the way I look for the most part. The only problem I've encountered is insecurity with the size of my butt. I am unable to tell whether it's an average size or not and this causes me great distress. I'd like to know what other people's measurements are so that I know if I'm just letting my insecurities lie to me. I have a 25" waist and a 36" hip. Please share, or give me feedback!

As requested I'm including some context to help better this post. My height is around 5'6, although I haven't had a proper measurement in a long while. I weigh 112 and fluctuate up to 115, and my bust is about 32".
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    32"-25"-36" sounds fine for 5'6" and if you are only 112lb, and your waist is only 25 inches you aren't fat by any stretch of the imagination.
  • cnbbnc
    CJMQ wrote: »
    If you are worried about your butt, start lifting heavy weights on a barbell! Squats, lunges, deadlifts... who cares what size it is if it is round and awesome?!

^^
    Yup! I swear the heavy weights are lifting my butt. LOL! I wouldn't be focused on making your booty smaller, but as was already said...you definitely can tweak the shape. :wink:

I still think your measurements are great. I measure the same but I'm shorter than you at 5'4 and weigh 122lbs.

• zenakerby
    robininfl wrote: »
    32"-25"-36" sounds fine for 5'6" and if you are only 112lb, and your waist is only 25 inches you aren't fat by any stretch of the imagination.
    thank you! and i never called myself fat lol
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    robininfl wrote: »

Indeed. If 5'6" and 112 she's underweight.
    Could be a body type thing.

I'm 5'6" and there is no way my waist will ever be only 25". I'm at 29" and in a healthy BMI. Hips 38 or so. So she may be naturally slender.
  • zenakerby

i'm nervous about squatting heavy whilst alone, but i can't afford a trainer and don't have any friends who lift. i don't want to perform them incorrectly or injure myself. suggestions???
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member

i'm nervous about squatting heavy whilst alone, but i can't afford a trainer and don't have any friends who lift. i don't want to perform them incorrectly or injure myself. suggestions???

Look into the Stronglifts 5x5 site for good form description. CHeck YouTube.
    Also checkout a group on MFP called "Eat, Train, Progress". They do form critique if you post videos of yourself. There are some very knowledgeable people in there.
  • cnbbnc

Don't be nervous. There are plenty of things to read and how-to videos online. Start with a light weight that you can easily handle for practice. You can even practice at home with a broomstick. As you get more comfortable you can start bumping up the weight. You could also start with Dumbbells if you're more comfortable with that.
  • zenakerby
    cnbbnc wrote: »

^^
    Yup! I swear the heavy weights are lifting my butt. LOL! I wouldn't be focused on making your booty smaller, but as was already said...you definitely can tweak the shape. :wink:

I still think your measurements are great. I measure the same but I'm shorter than you at 5'4 and weigh 122lbs.

yes, i think my problem is that it sags a little so it doesn't look its size. it needs to be lifted more, just like you're doing.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm about 5'2" with measurements of 32-26.5-34, and I maintain a range of 108-114 pounds. Your measurements sound good to me, and as others have already said, adding weight/buttlifting exercises to your workout routine will be a big help.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    We all have our own unique shape. Enjoy what you've got! Dress to work it. We're built how we're built and once we're at a good weight, we should just go for it. You keep trying to lose in one special spot and you'll lose somewhere else instead. Someone will love that on you.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Sounds to me like you are quite slim with a nice figure! Like pp's said we're all built differently and there is no one ideal shape or size.
    I'm just over 5'7", 130 lbs. Measurements are 36-28-38; usually a size 8 in pants.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    We all have our own unique shape. Enjoy what you've got! Dress to work it. We're built how we're built and once we're at a good weight, we should just go for it. You keep trying to lose in one special spot and you'll lose somewhere else instead. Someone will love that on you.

And this is true, too! I recently got to maintenance. Ideally I'd love to lose a bit more from my belly but I'm at a point where I will lose more from my arms, legs and face and end up looking too thin. I'm recomping now.