How could I gain a lb :(

Options
2»

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    You can put on a 1lb drinking a mug of coffee.

Very true though this was first thing nothing to eat or drink weekly weigh in
    Thankyou
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My small group weighs in once a week and then discusses our eating and exercise journals. We are all over the place every week. We are all dieting a little bit differently...I am a combo of CI/CO and low carb. My one friend who almost at goal has been up a little bit twice last couple of weeks and she was discouraged. Looking at her TOM and increase in saltier food it is just water. She looks great. She had a really low number 3 weeks ago and I think her body is just retaining fluid.

Our bodies are up to 60% water, females average = 45 -55% depending who you use and very efficient at retaining water. That is a lot of fluid if you think about it...so for a 200# woman (say to make it easy) 50% of body weight is fluid = 100 lbs. For a 100 lb female = 50 lbs.

I use my rings as one measurement to see if I am retaining when scale gives me a higher number and I have been on plan. My rings get so tight with water retention and I know I am not gaining fat in my fingers :). If you are trying to lose weight you are in it for the long haul and if you keep at it you will have results. You have to believe in yourself and not let daily water fluctuations discourage you if you are doing everything right (measuring & exercising).

When people say weight loss is not linear it is so true. I go down two lbs then up a lb and back and forth...by the end of the month it is a 4 - 6 lb weight loss. I am not trying for more than 1 lb a week.

You can do it!
  • size102b
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    My small group weighs in once a week and then discusses our eating and exercise journals. We are all over the place every week. We are all dieting a little bit differently...I am a combo of CI/CO and low carb. My one friend who almost at goal has been up a little bit twice last couple of weeks and she was discouraged. Looking at her TOM and increase in saltier food it is just water. She looks great. She had a really low number 3 weeks ago and I think her body is just retaining fluid.

Our bodies are up to 60% water, females average = 45 -55% depending who you use and very efficient at retaining water. That is a lot of fluid if you think about it...so for a 200# woman (say to make it easy) 50% of body weight is fluid = 100 lbs. For a 100 lb female = 50 lbs.

I use my rings as one measurement to see if I am retaining when scale gives me a higher number and I have been on plan. My rings get so tight with water retention and I know I am not gaining fat in my fingers :). If you are trying to lose weight you are in it for the long haul and if you keep at it you will have results. You have to believe in yourself and not let daily water fluctuations discourage you if you are doing everything right (measuring & exercising).

When people say weight loss is not linear it is so true. I go down two lbs then up a lb and back and forth...by the end of the month it is a 4 - 6 lb weight loss. I am not trying for more than 1 lb a week.

You can do it!

Thankyou your right I just need to stop the scales obsession , I need to drink more water too
    :)

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    weight-loss-chart.jpg

Look at this chart. Weight loss is not 100% linear, but the general trend should be sloping downward. I like to avoid this problem by weighing myself one a week or even month. My efforts are going towards keeping on top of my nutrition / cutting weight / exercising.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    size102b wrote: »

I use Happyscale which is similar :)

Why don't you try weighing daily and logging it in Happyscale. That way you can see the fluctuations and realize that the ups and downs are completely normal.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Water weight, food in your system, not pooping for a few days, etc can all lead to higher scale weight. It doesn't mean you aren't losing. Weight loss just isn't linear because there is so much noise in the data.

Look at your trend over time. That's far more important than any individual weight.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that feeling when you get on the scale and see a gain. I've had quite the up and down few days with my birthday and a few other celebrations and outings that happened from last Thursday to yesterday. Stepped on the scale this morning to welcome a 3lb gain. Did I really go over my calories by 10,500 this week? No. Do I know it's probably just fluid retention and it will be gone in a few days? Yes. All that being said, I still get a little sad when I see a gain of more than a 1/2 lb or so. I'll use it as motivation the next few days to make sure I'm staying on track and within my goals so that I don't let the this past 5 days become the norm again. Good luck!
  • size102b
    Options
    Thankyou for your kind replies I know your all right I know my scales rule my mindset so I stop yoyoing I have to stop obsessing it's hard as its the old school way weightloss - scales which we know isn't right
    So I think I need to look at the bigger picture like you all say
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Could be water. I gain up to 5 lbs a day and then lose it all again by morning from water
  • size102b
    Options
    I hope so as I've been so good & hungry :(
    Can't be fat haven't eaten much this past week
    Thankyou :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I use Happyscale which is similar :)

Why don't you try weighing daily and logging it in Happyscale. That way you can see the fluctuations and realize that the ups and downs are completely normal.

Yup. I weigh daily and log in Excel.

s3kpi613p89z.png

My scale goes up at ovulation, prior to my period starting, and when I start lifting weights again after taking some time off.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight or hormonal driven. You really need to chill here. At your current size I would imagine you could vary 3-5 lbs easily.
    Try weighing more often & use an app like happy scale to track the trend.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I hope so as I've been so good & hungry :(
    Can't be fat haven't eaten much this past week
    Thankyou :)

Can't see your diary but this^^^ might be the culprit right here.
  • size102b
    Options
    Thankyou for your help
    I am going to try chill out abit about the scales
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You are right about upping your water intake. When we keep ourselves hydrated it stops our bodies from thinking...uh oh we are getting dehydrated...time to retain fluids :) very simple version of fluid balance :).
  • size102b
    Options
    My bladder is awful
    Hence not drinking enough
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates on a daily basis for all sorts of reasons - I can fluctuate at maintenance as much as 1-2 lbs a day.

Keep on going, bit by bit you will lose.

Some find it helpful to track weight daily so they learn the how's and why's of fluctuations then it doesn't bother them.
  • size102b
    Options
    Thankyou
    I am just used to weekly weighing for indications