Is eating breakfast really good for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• fenharels
    fenharels Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm so hungry in the morning that I can't ever imagine skipping breakfast, and on the occasion that I don't have time I feel nauseous on my way to uni. If I wasn't hungry at all I wouldn't force myself to have breakfast, but you could always have some plain yogurt and a little fruit.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The impression i'm getting here is that when people hear the word breakfast, they think it has to be a full meal. It can be as simple as eating an apple or a banana in the morning. It's fuel for the brain. We can function without it but as for me, i'm so much more alert when i have breakfast.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    KAYRRIE wrote: »
    The impression i'm getting here is that when people hear the word breakfast, they think it has to be a full meal. It can be as simple as eating an apple or a banana in the morning. It's fuel for the brain. We can function without it but as for me, i'm so much more alert when i have breakfast.

I don't think that anyone doubts it is the best choice *for you*. The question is whether people should force themselves to eat something when they aren't hungry and are functioning perfectly well without it.

I'm a distracted monster when I don't eat breakfast. I always make time for it. But there are many people who find it optional.
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you don't overindulge at lunch because you are extremely hungry, then it's probably not a big deal to skip. I'm like janejellyroll though, I'm not fun to be around if I don't eat breakfast.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference when you eat your calories. Do it based on what works best for you and your diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    smc0170 wrote: »
    I think as long as you don't overindulge at lunch because you are extremely hungry, then it's probably not a big deal to skip. I'm like janejellyroll though, I'm not fun to be around if I don't eat breakfast.

Cosigned.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Nope, breakfast is completely unnecessary if you don't want it. I have 1 or 2 cups of coffee (so maybe that is my breakfast?) when I wake up and get the kids up for school, and that's it until about 1:00-ish. I am simply not hungry in the morning, nor do I lack energy. I eat a light lunch, and then a large meal and some kind of sweet thing later in the evening between 6:00 and 9:00, when my hunger is in high-gear. Everyone is different. If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't. Technically, whenever you first eat in a day is breakfast.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    KAYRRIE wrote: »

I don't think that anyone doubts it is the best choice *for you*. The question is whether people should force themselves to eat something when they aren't hungry and are functioning perfectly well without it.

I'm a distracted monster when I don't eat breakfast. I always make time for it. But there are many people who find it optional.

Exactly this. I love eating breakfast. I don't think everyone needs to eat it because I like to.
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm an old lady, and throughout my whole working career I never ate breakfast because I didnt want it. Thats 42 years of no breakfasts. Now that I retired there is nothing to do so I started having breakfast. Didnt realize I had to change things around with my other meals - I gained 13 pounds. Trying to work on that now but really not interested in breakfast. Really good answers by everyone.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to personal circadian rhythms. My husband doesn't like breakfast, can't eat it- it makes him sick if he tries to eat too early. However, he can go to the gym and work out for two hours late at night.
    If I don't eat breakfast, I'm grouchy, headachy and can't concentrate. By 9 pm, I'm totally ready for bed, and the gym would be an impossibility.

If you don't want breakfast, don't eat it. :) Find what works for you and your body.