Road Bikes

Options
Alidecker
Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
Any advice on a brand of road bike to look at. Looking to not spend a ton of money, but the old hybrid isn't cutting it anymore. I don't do a ton of riding, but enough that I am willing to look into getting a different bike.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried an independent bike store? Most small bike store owners love biking and have lots of great advice and want to help you. Stay away from the big box stores.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Yes, visit several bicycle shops in your area. Ask questions, go for test rides, and be sure to ask about fittings.

For the most part, bicycles in the lower end price range ($500-$700) are all pretty much the same. The more important factor will be fit.

If the bicycle is too big or too small for you, you'll struggle to be comfortable.

If the shop kind of brushes off or hedges around the idea of fittings, go elsewhere.

If you do not feel comfortable in the shop, and comfortable asking questions, go elsewhere.

Regarding fit, the usual measurement is standover height, and yes, you should be able to stand over the top tube with a bit of clearance. But more importantly, especially for women, is the top tube length. You should be able to sit comfortably on the bicycle with your hands on the hoods and your elbows bent a bit. In other words, you should not be reaching for the hoods or feeling all stretched out on the bicycle. If you get that measurement right, chances are the standover height and other measurements will be right too. You'll still need the shop to go through a fitting for you to fine tune things, but at least you'll have a bicycle in the ballpark of the right size to work with.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I second going to a local bike shop (or two or three!). Stay away from big box stores - they have no idea how to get you into the correct size bike for your frame. A local bike shop will size you, and let you take bikes out on test rides to see how they feel (so make sure you bring your helmet and gear). Typically, a local shop will carry just a couple of brands, so you may want to check out a few shops to get an idea of what different brands feel like. Of course, there's also the shop itself - you want to be comfortable with the shop you choose, because that's usually where you'll be going for maintenance and such for your new bike! :)

Now is actually a great time to shop for a new bike, because most shops are trying to make room for the new models, so they have great sales on last year's models! :) I know my LBS has a huge spring sale the first weekend of April each year (bikes AND gear - I got two pairs of bike shoes (road and tri) at last year's sale for less than the regular price of one pair!!!).

I personally like Specialized. The Dolce is a great women's entry level road bike (aluminum frame with carbon forks). The Ruby is the next step up (full carbon frame) - that is the bike I have. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    brand isn't as important as fit. you won't ride an inexpensive bike that doesn't fit right. you best bet is to go to a local bike shop and try out a few different bikes. do not then leave and go buy it on line. buy from them. okay, maybe you might pay a little more going through them, but you more than likely have a years worth of free maintenance, and personalized care. plus, a life long relationship.
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to work at a bike shop I'm DEFINITELY agreeing with the advice to stay away from the big box stores. A few reasons are:
    Big box stores have bikes that are assembled by whoever is really assigned to do that that day, whereas in a bike shop, they are assembled by people that know how to properly assemble and adjust them to fit you properly. A bike that doesn't fit will make you ride harder as well as much more uncomfortable.

A good bike shop will sell you the right bike for your needs, not the most expensive but the one that will work best for you. Go in with a budget and tell them what your budget is and be honest with them in regards to the kind of riding you want to do and what your goals are. If you just want one for fitness and you're just getting into road riding (very different riding position from a hybrid) then maybe an entry level "comfort" road bike is right for you. Comfort road bikes have a more relaxed geometry and a slightly more upright riding position, you're not going to be as aerodynamic, but you will be more comfortable. If you tell them you think that eventually you want to get into longer group rides or maybe racing eventually, then maybe you might need to go a bit above entry level for better components, lighter weight, and better performance, which of course comes with a higher price tag.

From what I recall (I've not worked in a shop for over 10 years) you can get a quality entry level road bike probably in the $700-$1000 range. Bikes are like most things, you can spend as little or as much as you want, but you're going to get what you pay for.

If you have any friends or co-workers that are big into cycling, have them go with you to a shop to help you get an idea of what you're looking for and also they might be able to help you determine what your "must haves" verses "nice to haves" are. Also if the sales person says you need something and you're not sure if they are trying to upsell you or if you really do need it, that friend should be able to help you out there too.

Typically most things you buy in an actual bike shop will be of good quality.

There are a LOT of good brands of road bikes out there, I ride a LeMond. Some other good brands are:
    Trek
    Giant
    Specialized
    Cannondale
    GT

I hope this helps and good luck!
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same situation a year or so ago and went to my local indy bike shop and ended up with a Giant that was properly fitted for me. They fully explained the difference between the levels of drive components and frames and I chose what I wanted to spend money on or not. Great bike and great service. Right around a grand.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, there are several bike shops nearby. Just don't want them to try and upsell me. I will see what I can do about dragging a friend along. My friends either don't bike at all or they have high end bikes and I know I don't want to spend the kind of money that they have invested.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, there are several bike shops nearby. Just don't want them to try and upsell me. I will see what I can do about dragging a friend along. My friends either don't bike at all or they have high end bikes and I know I don't want to spend the kind of money that they have invested.

you go in and you say "this is my budget." also, you can ask if they have any discounts on last years models, which they might have because they're looking to get rid of them as the new bikes will be coming out shortly.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    brand isn't as important as fit. you won't ride an inexpensive bike that doesn't fit right.

That!

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    what's "a ton" of money?

I suspect my expertise is primarily in bikes that DO cost a ton of money, so...
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Any advice on a brand of road bike to look at. Looking to not spend a ton of money, but the old hybrid isn't cutting it anymore. I don't do a ton of riding, but enough that I am willing to look into getting a different bike.

The big factors here are up to you to define. What you consider a "ton" of money (or riding), how much value do you want, and what your goals are. Those answers and your desires should be the biggest driving factors in your choice.

I personally think bikes are like shoes. You can spend crap tons of money on something that is "better" that the average person would hardly notice. Fit is important regardless of price point. But in most cases, the level of use and/or training desires should dictate the choice, which might be just as readily available at a big box store or LBS, depending on that choice.

And in the same sense not all big box stores will give crappy service, nor will all local bike stores give great service. As for brand name, not really a big concern overall in my opinion. The name does nothing to change the function and whether or not that function is right for you. There are often little or almost unknown brands manufactured by the same companies that produce the big well known brands. Ditto on components.

I do wish more LBS type places would have some type of rental bikes for use for help in selection. A test ride is certainly great vs a big box store, but really any personal desires beyond initial feel are often not noticed on a shorter ride. I think done properly a LBS could make rentals both a great sales tool and a money maker, as well as guide people towards the types or quality level of a bike they really want.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In terms of quality you can't go wrong with a Giant or Trek or Cannondale or Specialized but, if you can, try a few different bikes as each company will have minor variations in frame geometry which may not affect performance but you may find brand x slightly more comfortable than brand y even though the frames may be the same size.

Personally I'm a fan of Giants but it's like running shoes......what I like may not be best for you.

I definitely second the advice about going for "last year's" models. I did that with both my road & MTB and saved a ton (plus the same model of MTB had slightly lower quality components the following year)
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I will see what I can do about dragging a friend along. My friends either don't bike at all or they have high end bikes and I know I don't want to spend the kind of money that they have invested.

Those friends with the high end bikes should be the ones that could help be a "translator" between you and the sales person. Those friends "should" be able to hear what the sales person is saying and either confirm that what they are saying in important and correct or be able to determine if that sales person is just trying to sell you on something more than you need. That friend doesn't care about the sale, they should just want to make sure you get the right bike for your needs.

Also as many people have said... the fit is VERY IMPORTANT!

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I second (or eighth, or tenth, or whatever it is) all of the opinions above regarding the local bike shop and prioritizing fit. A good local bike shop will be staffed by folks who love bikes and want you to love bikes as much as they do. Additionally, they will want you as a customer for life so it's in their best interest to take care of you. Ask questions, try bikes out, try seats out, etc. If you are miserable on your bike you won't ride it, so take the time to get the right bike for you.

Also, I agree whole-heartedly about avoiding big box store bikes. I have seen first hand what happens when a poorly assembled bike built up out of sup-par components fails. Luckily all it resulted in for that individual was a bunch of road rash. It could have been worse. Spend the money for a reputable bike from a reputable dealer that you can build a relationship with. It's well worth it.

Good luck and happy cycling!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    And think about whether a road bike is really what you want. If you're not going to ride much and you're used to the relative terrain versatility of a hybrid, then you could look at just getting a more modern hybrid again? Some modern hybrids are excellent now, much lighter, nice gearing etc.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You definitely get what you pay for--although at a certain point the options become a little ridiculous to the casual biker. Seek out a dedicated bike store (again, stay away from the big box stores) who is willing to understand what you are willing to pay and what you want to use the bike for. Bringing along an experienced cyclist friend (even one who spent way more on a bike than you want to) could be helpful. Don't be afraid to ask about previous years' models--it's a good way to save money!
  • 777cbr
    777cbr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of the advice, but ton of money is really relative. Personally I think the sweet spot for spending on road bikes is $1000.00-$1300.00 at this price range you can get an high end aluminum frame bike with Shimano 105 components. The bike will weigh in the low 20's. Another thing to think about is gearing. If you are going to do a lot of hills make sure you get a 'compact' crank set and as large a sprocket as you can in the back. My favorite cassette range is (11-32) but I ride on mountain roads almost every day in the summer. I am imagining the reason the hybrid isn't cutting it is because the weight of the bike combined with the difficulty of shifting a cheaper bike. These issues will both be corrected in a bike in the above price range.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    777cbr wrote: »
    I like a lot of the advice, but ton of money is really relative. Personally I think the sweet spot for spending on road bikes is $1000.00-$1300.00 at this price range you can get an high end aluminum frame bike with Shimano 105 components. The bike will weigh in the low 20's. Another thing to think about is gearing. If you are going to do a lot of hills make sure you get a 'compact' crank set and as large a sprocket as you can in the back. My favorite cassette range is (11-32) but I ride on mountain roads almost every day in the summer. I am imagining the reason the hybrid isn't cutting it is because the weight of the bike combined with the difficulty of shifting a cheaper bike. These issues will both be corrected in a bike in the above price range.

^^^ This.

And often times this time of year you can find previous year models of these $1000-1300 bikes on clearance for $600-800. That's exactly how I bought my first road bike (I'm now one of the ones who spends ridiculous amounts of money on them...).
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    777cbr wrote: »

Really when it comes to spending money, it's all relative to desires. I've spent way more on non tangible things such as concerts in a night than I've put into my bikes for a lifetime. Since I'm more concerned with fitness improvements rather than true pace or competition, I've found that a lot of lower end stuff is more than enough to satisfy me.

I see both extremes of equipment and training in this area. Probably a lot more people with higher end gear that don't train much really, but here and there some people with older basic gear that have some deep cardio tanks. Even more strange is that it doesn't seem to translate well to overall wealth or budget. I see high end bikes on the back of old crap cars, and I've seen people unloading box stores bikes from the rack of very expensive cars.