Work Potlucks

Options
I'm curious how all of you handle temptations of work Potlucks? It seems we have them frequently at my job.

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    OMG. My work kitchen is HORRIBLE. We have a monthly budget and it's constantly used. There's usually candy, chips and other crap in there. On top of that, people bring in baked goods and we tend to have potlucks for every celebration known to man.

I bring my own food to last the day. I have several different lunch bags in different sizes. I plan my meals and snacks for the week over the weekend. That way, in the morning I'm ready to pull and pack. I have all the "blue ice" I need to get through the day. When there are potlucks, I avoid the kitchen as much as possible and split my meals into smaller snacks to help me get through the day. I have even resorted to bringing extra bottles of water so I don't have to go fill up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bring the healthiest thing you can to the potluck. That's your fall back. After looking everything else over, figure out what is worth "spending" your calories on. Save room in your daily "budget" for the potluck. You can bank calories from the day before, if you think someone is bringing something you like. Use the best estimations you can for everything you choose to eat, and log it.

But yes, having extra veggies and fruit on hand will help you manage your calories better.

Our last "affair" was a pulled pork & all the fixins. The sandwich was totally doable....it was the fixins that were calorie bombs.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I kind of gross myself out with other people's cooked food by first wondering how clean they cook - as in cleanliness - germs, bacteria, washing hands, etc., then I wonder if they have something that spoils easily, were they careful to leave it chilled or heated properly at all times. Do I sound like someone that's had food poisoning? Cuz I have lol.

Then I wonder what's actually in it like mayo :s or something I'm allergic to (a few not too terribly common items) or at least sensitive to like in so many convenience items. I know a lot of people who call "homemade" dishes to actually be recipes where it's cans of this and seasoning packet of that and bag of this, etc. So.....

Basically I talk myself out of what appears to be good and eat my own delicious food instead lol.