Cross fit - yay or nay?

Options
Hi ya, has anyone tried crossfit and would like to share the pros/cons? i am considering giving it a try but just concerned that its a fad but I guess any exercise is better than nothing :)

Thanks !

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Did someone say "Crossfit"?

bgbMLmw.gif
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's expensive, in most places. That's the biggest reason I haven't tried it. Make sure you go to a box that has couches with knowledge beyond just taking the Crossfit courses. They do a lot of big lifts for reps and time which can be dangerous if you let your form go. That being said, they do seem to like to encourage other members and the workouts are intense. You won't focus on any one thing, though. I've always been a bit curious about it, but I'm also a bit lazy and that stuff seems a bit intense for me. ;) There can be a bit of an elitist attitude as well, but you can find that anywhere.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's worked for me. I go twice a week. I've never been in a spot where I've gotten hurt based on the 'competitive' nature of the sport.

It's expensive, yes. But it's also very close to what you'd get for paying a personal trainer.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Seriously asking: when people say a thing is expensive, what are they using to justify that word? Expensive compared to what, and expensive to whom?
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It's the one thing I really want to try but cannot justify paying for it on top of my gym membership.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Seriously asking: when people say a thing is expensive, what are they using to justify that word? Expensive compared to what, and expensive to whom?

Sorry, I guess it's expensive to me, relative to what I spend now. $130 a month is the cheapest you can get around here. I work out at home, for free. Obviously, there was a fairly hefty start up cost to purchase the necessary equipment, then my recent upgrade (new Oly bar & more plates for my birthday!) since I outgrew my old bar. My husband pays $35 or $40 a month (that is a discounted rate, I will admit) a month for his gym membership, so $140 9and at one place, that's for only 2 session a week!) seems like a lot to me.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started cross fitting about 4 months ago and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I've never been a Person who liked exercising, but this is completely addictive! The workouts are short and intense, and often you're thinking man this sucks the whole time, but when you're done you feel so accomplished and can't wait to go back the next day! If you're someone who likes structure, and one on one help, and a big community atmosphere then you'll like Crossfit. The people are so encouraging, the coaches are focused on form and making sure you're doing things the right way, and if you try it you'll become obsessed with it just like everyone else.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My husband wanted to try. I wasn't too keen based on all the bad stuffs I read - poor form, bad coaches, etc. But my husband has tried things with me, so I went with him (we like doing this stuff together, I am fully aware he could have went on his own).
    We talked to people about the box, we checked it out ourselves (plus its small town so we knew the owner/instructors and their background ) then signed up for the on ramp. I love it. Like, never drag my but to the gym, look forward to every workout love it. I love the challenge, I love the people, I love the atmosphere. I do better in group training. I'm the type that will slack off or give up, but the group thing keeps me going. It's like a team atmosphere. I've never done team sports and I kind of like that idea. My husband, who has done team sports, says that's why he likes it too.
    The coaches watch is closely, we are constantly reminded to scale things, not to be a "whiteboard hero", etc. both of use have improved our form on lifts.

It is more expensive than our local gym member ship. My husband likes to play hockey and that's it. End of hockey season and he struggles to find things to do to keep active. He has run with me -not consistently and won't go on his own, we bought a good road bike (used a few times), he bought an indoor trainer for the winter for the bike, used twice this year. He joined swimming with me for one season - same. He bought a year membership to the gym and was going 2-3 times a month. He joined crossfit - he goes 3-4 times a week, every week since we started. He has gotten far more use out of the more expensive fee than he has anything else. I am beyond happy. It is worth every penny for me.
    I was a little better with going to the gym, running, biking, etc, but I still find it worth it for me. I would pay more if fees went up.
  • Rudeboy614
    Rudeboy614 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been doing crossfit for almost 3 years. Its not a fad. Trying to beat personal times is what keeps me motivated.
    Crossfit saved my life!
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options

It's over $100 a month around here, too. In my opinion, that's expensive. I would love to do it, but $100 a month isn't something I'm willing to dish out. Maybe I'm cheap, I dunno.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

This. In my area it's approximately $275+. I am about to join a training facility that is $200 a month. It's annoying to hear how people would never pay that for exercise. It's more than worth it for me. I'd rather skip a few dinners/happy hours out and spend my money where it will benefit me more. If Crossfit was my thing, I'd do it in a heart beat.
  • MsDrJuris
    MsDrJuris Posts: 41
    Options
    I've tried three different CF gyms, only one of which I LOVED. Whether or not the gym is great really depends upon the people coaching, as well as their basis of knowledge regarding lifts and fitness. The last CF gym I attended cost 200 bucks per month, which is expensive for ANY gym. Ultimately, I had to move away, but I loved the atmosphere and the sense of community at that particular gym. Personally, I've made better gains doing stuff by myself in my gym that I pay 40 bucks per month for, but CF can definitely be addictive and lots of fun. My advice is just to be careful and focus on form, not time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

This. In my area it's approximately $275+. I am about to join a training facility that is $200 a month. It's annoying to hear how people would never pay that for exercise. It's more than worth it for me. I'd rather skip a few dinners/happy hours out and spend my money where it will benefit me more. If Crossfit was my thing, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Exactly.
    My point was gyms or other activities can be cheaper, but if you aren't going to do it, it's still a waste. I'd rather spend more money, and actually use it, than save myself $50 and hardly go. I am not limiting that to crossfit, that applies to anything.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Nay for me. Too much impact. Already had one foot surgery and had to retire from martial arts training.
    I have to be careful about impact on my feet.
    I also stay away from the packaged programs for the same reason.
    Not everyone has degenerative osteoarthritis in the feet as I do. Not sure what my opinion would be if not for this limitation.
  • DavPul
    Options
    My husband wanted to try. I wasn't too keen based on all the bad stuffs I read - poor form, bad coaches, etc. But my husband has tried things with me, so I went with him (we like doing this stuff together, I am fully aware he could have went on his own).
    We talked to people about the box, we checked it out ourselves (plus its small town so we knew the owner/instructors and their background ) then signed up for the on ramp. I love it. Like, never drag my but to the gym, look forward to every workout love it. I love the challenge, I love the people, I love the atmosphere. I do better in group training. I'm the type that will slack off or give up, but the group thing keeps me going. It's like a team atmosphere. I've never done team sports and I kind of like that idea. My husband, who has done team sports, says that's why he likes it too.
    The coaches watch is closely, we are constantly reminded to scale things, not to be a "whiteboard hero", etc. both of use have improved our form on lifts.

It is more expensive than our local gym member ship. My husband likes to play hockey and that's it. End of hockey season and he struggles to find things to do to keep active. He has run with me -not consistently and won't go on his own, we bought a good road bike (used a few times), he bought an indoor trainer for the winter for the bike, used twice this year. He joined swimming with me for one season - same. He bought a year membership to the gym and was going 2-3 times a month. He joined crossfit - he goes 3-4 times a week, every week since we started. He has gotten far more use out of the more expensive fee than he has anything else. I am beyond happy. It is worth every penny for me.
    I was a little better with going to the gym, running, biking, etc, but I still find it worth it for me. I would pay more if fees went up.

So Ummm........ Is that road bike available for sale?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

So Ummm........ Is that road bike available for sale?

I'm still hoping he'll come around. Haha. Plus, we have an unsettle challenge. I beat him in one triathlon, he beat me in one. We need to do a tiebreaker.
  • ddzubow
    ddzubow Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are saying cross fit is expensive, but if you're looking to give it a try, continually check up on Groupon, Living Social, or any other discount website. I see cross fit classes pop up on there every month or so, and at a great price.

For example, just today a cross fit Groupon came on in my area. $35 for 10 classes, or $65 for 20 classes. I'd say that's pretty affordable for what the program offers, especially for someone who wants to give it a try before wholly committing.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options

This is way too much of a generalization. If you want to spend the money, have at it. If you think $275 for crossfit is worth it, then more power to you. Me? I won't pay that. And just because I won't pay that doesn't mean that I'm not willing to pay for exercise. As with everything, there is a limit to what a person is willing to pay. I workout at least 5 days a week, and I spend a fraction of what it costs to do crossfit, which means I can spend or save that money for other things I enjoy.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I don't do Crossfit, but I do know an instructor. It definitely works for him, so there's that.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    nt-doing-crossfit-did-not-read-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-73.gif