Is BSN Amino X any good?

Options
lkokot
lkokot Posts: 80 Member
I was thinking about getting some BSN Amino X since after talking to some of the people I know that have been doing strength training they recommended looking into amino acids.

I was wondering if any of you used Amino X and if so how did it compare to the other ones out there.

Replies

• lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Amino acids, or BCAAs are generally unneeded if you are consuming adequate protein.

I've seen them recommended for fasted training often, but that's about it.

My own personal experience is that they are very expensive and don't seem to offer any solid benefit provided I'm consuming adequate protein, which I do.

*edited because apparently I can't spell.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Amino acids, or BCAAs are generally unneeded if you are consuming adequate protein.

My own personal experience is that they are very expensive and don't seem to offer any solid benefit provided I'm consuming adequate protein, which I do.

I would agree with this as well. Most supplements are over hyped and there are other things that one should concentrate on prior to touching supplements. Below is a good depiction of where your efforts should be focused on to reach your goal; except is if your doctor says you are deficient in something.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I would agree with this as well. Most supplements are over hyped and there are other things that one should concentrate on prior to touching supplements. Below is a good depiction of where your efforts should be focused on to reach your goal; except is if your doctor says you are deficient in something.

I'm going to steal that pyramid, if you don't mind. ;)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that's a graphic about weight management since there's nothing about exercise? Or is it in the context of reaching your fitness goals?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I'm going to steal that pyramid, if you don't mind. ;)

The graphic was created by Eric Helms. I am sure he won't mind.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm guessing that's a graphic about weight management since there's nothing about exercise? Or is it in the context of reaching your fitness goals?

I believe it was created to address the nutrition component of reaching your goals. Eric Helms, has a multi-part series on youtube.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

It's more a commentary on the relative importance of each factor to nutrition. In essence, what this says is, don't even worry about supplements until your calories, macros and micros are on point.