Eating 1200-1300 Calories has that helped you?

Hi everyone!
I've decided I'm going to try out eating 1250 calories to aid me in weight loss. Have any of you consistently had 1200-1300 calories in your daily diet? How has that worked out for you? Do you feel full enough? Are you losing weight? I'd love to hear people's results and any tips you have. Have a good day :)

Replies

• BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    My calorie goal is 1450 but I've tried 1240 and it's hard. Very limited on how much food you can eat. But a lot of people make it work. But me I have to have a lot of protein foods to fill full so I always go a little over
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    I'm on 1220 right now, but I get about 400-600 extra calories from my Fitbit, which I always eat. I don't usually find myself hungry. If I want more food though, I just move a little more :)

I've lost 52 lbs since last June, and am looking to drop another 20 or so. I've always had my rate of loss set to 1lb/week, but I may drop that to .5lb/week as I get closer to my goal.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    It would depend on how tall you are, your current weight, and the rate at which you would like to lose weight if that is appropriate or not for you.

I'm 5'2" currently weight 139 and am sedentary (I have a desk job) and MFP gives me 1400 to lose at the rate of .5 per week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I did 1250 for a while (back in '14), but I also ate back exercise calories.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    It really depends on your size and exercise levels. My calorie goal is 1325 but I usually get an extra 3-500 exercise calories that I rarely eat more than half of. I'm 5'4 weighing 176.5. When I was eating less it didn't really make me lose faster. I'm losing .8 a week on average but I'm also 46 with medical issues. There are so many factors for each of us.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Mine is currently set at 1200 BUT I exercise roughly 45-60 min a day (sometimes over two hours if it's long run day) and I eat back about 50-75% of the cals so my avg intake is usually between 1350-1700, depending on the day. I'm not usually hungry but today I am because it's just one of those hungry days (cue protein and veggies to fill up ;) )

You are a bit more limited on what you can eat and the portion sizes but I always eat exactly what my family does- pot pies, spaghetti, fajitas, pizza bread, korean beef... Just one portion size instead of 2 or 3 haha. Today we're grilling chicken and veggies (squash, zucchini, peppers, etc) and that's one of my favorite meals. So good and filling!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    1200 is MFP's default minimum for women, so it's very likely you can lose weight eating more. 1200 is more appropriate for very petite and senior ladies.

I did 1200 back in the day (when I didn't know any better). Now I'm back (eating more) and losing a bit slower. That's okay. Fast weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. I'm in my 50's, I've lost enough lean muscle already. I want to get rid of the jiggle & look more firm.......not just smaller.

This is a great thread..........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This is helpful too
    Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • Smccabe8
    Smccabe8 Posts: 129 Member
    I'm eating 1200 calories a day. It's not hard once you get used to it and learn to "spend" those calories wisely. I don't usually eat fast food, not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I don't have the calorie allowance for it.

I know how much food I can fit in my calorie allowance and what foods fill me up the best. I meal prep a lot and plan my calories ahead of time. If I know I'm going out for a big breakfast, I'll plan a smoothie or something light for lunch. If I know I'm going out for dinner with friends, I'll eat a small breakfast, a snack for lunch, and save most of my calories for dinner. I also may eat light the day after I eat a big dinner to even out my calories for the week.

I'm 5'8'', and have lost 24 lbs in 2.5 months. I'm about 15 lbs from final goal weight.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    edited March 2016
    I usually eat about 1,100-1,250 a day Sunday-Friday and 2,000 on Saturday. I actually feel great on the 1,250 calorie days. I wait until 11am and start my day with a protein shake, lunch is around 300 calories of protein/fats. I'm basically eating all day from 11am until 7pm. After lunch desert is a 60 calorie yogurt, then a 190 calorie protein granola bar, 100 calorie pack of popcorn or nuts a few hours later and then the rest for dinner usually 400 calories. This works for me.

Edit: My weekly average is usually 1,300-1,400 calories a day.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    I just upped my calories from 1200 to 1500, and I've lost 2.6 lbs since then. My weigth was a stand still at 1200, but I'm also a bigger girl 212.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I have 1690 calories before exercise, and I exercise.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    For my current height/weight/activity level, MFP has me on 1270 for a 1lb/week loss. I do eat back a portion of the calories I earn through exercise (primarily calories I get from Fitbit). I found it much easier to stay within goal when MFP had me at 1400 plus a portion of earned exercise calories. With a lower calorie goal, it's more important than ever that I plan and measure my meals properly. Eating fast food or a moderately heavy meal can easily be my entire calorie allowance for the day. You don't have a lot of room for error, and you really have to "spend" your calories wisely as was said above. All that being said, there is no reason that you shouldn't lose weight on a 1250 calorie allowance, it will be a matter of whether that calorie allowance is what is right for you.

I don't know if you've chosen 1250 arbitrarily, or if MFP set that for you. If you chose it, I'd recommend letting MFP determine your calorie goal based on your weight loss goal, give that a shot and see how you feel and what your results are. You can always adjust your goals based on what works best for you.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    I am on 1200 kcal diet for 2 months now and I don't find it difficult. I rarely eat over 1200 and when i do it is a day that I did a lot of walking... like today..i did 3 hours of walking so I had just under 1400. On 1200 I'm losing steady and I don't feel hungry. It's all about the food choices. I snack rarely but I do have a glass of coke or some chocolate almost every day. My diary is open if you want to take a look. :)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    why not just eat the calorie goal MFP sets for you? The program DOES WORK!